New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Hi all,

We've had many requests for a small control panel (or pod) as an extension to the K3 and K3S transceivers. We finally got around to it!

Our new K-Pod is a very compact unit, featuring a precision tuning knob, VFO A/B/offset rocker switch, and 8 programmable tactile-feedback switches. Switch feedback is provided by activation messages on the radio's LCD, as well as the pod's own 4 indicator LEDs and audio tone generator. This multi-modal information can help maximize operating efficiency and reduce fatigue during extended operating periods.

Typically the K-Pod would be placed next to a computer keyboard, allowing the operator to quickly QSY, clear RIT, enter diversity mode, change menu settings, etc., without that long stretch to reach the radio's front panel.

But the K-Pod's flexible interface goes beyond substitution of the radio's knobs and switches. In effect, you can design your own customized controls for the radio.

Each of the 8 programmable switches has tap and hold functions. When a switch function is used, it activates one of up to 16 user-defined command sequences that are actually stored in the radio itself, as macros. A single macro can accomplish many tasks at once, such as setting up custom splits, configuring the receiver or subreceiver for specific situations, sending transmit messages at differing code speeds, etc. Macros can be easily created or edited using K3 Utility, which runs on PC, Mac, or Linux platforms.

The K-Pod has the following features:

* high-quality weighted, soft-touch tuning knob--same as used on the K3S
* same 400-count, ball-bearing optical encoder used in the K3 and K3S
* adjustable knob friction
* 3-position rocker switch to assign the knob to VFO A, VFO B, or RIT/XIT
* 8 programmable function switches, each with tap/hold functions
* simple switch programming using K3 Utility (many examples in K-Pod manual)
* four user-definable LEDs (three of them show knob assignment by default)
* audio tone generator for switch feedback (can be easily turned off)
* USB port for firmware loading and future equipment/computer control applications
* simple connection to K3 or K3S--uses the 6-pin RJ-style jack beneath the front panel
* flexible power source: rear 12-V jack on the radio, DC barrel jack,
  USB port, or even through the 6-pin data cable, with minor radio modification
  (the latter method results in a single cable to the K-Pod for data and power)
* 3 utility outputs for miscellaneous equipment control applications
  (outputs provide a low resistance to ground when turned on, usable with relays, etc.)

The K-Pod's all-steel enclosure weighs a full pound for excellent stability, yet measures only about 3.5 x 3 x 1 inches. A highly stable folding tilt stand is included to angle the panel for optimal access. There's also a 2-hole RAM mount pattern on the bottom for easy attachment to any surface.

For photos and further information, please visit our K-Pod web page:

  http://www.elecraft.com/k-pod/k-pod.htm

73,
Wayne, N6KR
Eric, WA6HHQ

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Elecraft mailing list
Hi Wayne
Will the K-pod work with the K3-0?
73, Mike, W3IP

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Short answer: yes. We have a bit more firmware to write, but this is the plan.

----
http://www.elecraft.com

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 8:21 PM, M Cresap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Wayne
>
> Will the K-pod work with the K3-0?
>
> 73, Mike, W3IP

Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

NK7Z
What a cool accessory Wayne!  Nice work!!
--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)

For software/hardware reviews see:
http://www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see:

For SSTV help see:

On Apr 13, 2016, at 8:51 PM, Dave Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What a cool accessory Wayne!  Nice work!!
> --
> 73's, and thanks,
> Dave (NK7Z)

Thanks, Dave. We had lots of input from our long-standing K-Line focus group. They pretty much got everything they wanted. I could write a novella about the rocker-switch debate ;)

Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod ControlPanel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Gary Gregory-2
Simply brilliant Wayne, it sure has that wow factor.
Gary

On Apr 13, 2016, at 8:51 PM, Dave Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What a cool accessory Wayne!  Nice work!!
> --
> 73's, and thanks,
> Dave (NK7Z)

Thanks, Dave. We had lots of input from our long-standing K-Line focus group. They pretty much got everything they wanted. I could write a novella about the rocker-switch debate ;)

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Bill-3
This is right up there with sliced bread. Gets control of the K3 to the
edge of the desk - no longer have to reach across the desk.

Come on June 15th!!!

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
K-pod:

Interesting feature. Could be the first part to connect to the K4.

73
Arie PA3A

---

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Irwin Darack
Wayne,

Can you use the K-Pod function keys to key the CW, RTTY & DVK SSB memories
stored in the K3S?

Thanks, Irwin KD3TB

--
Irwin KD3TB

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Barry
Is this the forerunner to the K-Watch?  :-)

Barry W2UP

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3Sand K3 Transceivers

turnbull
Dear OM Wayne,
      Thank you for producing a control pod!    It is one accessory I have
wanted since first purchasing a K3.   The Orion II had a more basic version
of what you are about to produce.

       For me the most important function is the ability to access the eight
messages stored CW and Voice memory.   No longer do I have to pose my finger
over M2 button blocking the view of the P3 and most of the other switches.
This was always uncomfortable.    As my aunt use to say you are a brick;
this is a complement.

       Some people may now sit back in their Lazy-Boy reclining chairs
listening to the mail.   Life is good and Elecraft is dedicating itself to
real improvements in its product line.   I do not need a K4; Elecraft meets
all my needs as is.    Mucho gracias my friends in Elecraft.   Plan for a
good production run; I am ordering two.  Life is good!

                    &3 Doug EI2CN

Short answer: yes. We have a bit more firmware to write, but this is the
plan.

----
http://www.elecraft.com

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 8:21 PM, M Cresap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Wayne
>
> Will the K-pod work with the K3-0?
>
> 73, Mike, W3IP
>

> From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>

Martin Sole-3
It looks a bit heavy!
I'll wait for the K-Pod air!

Martin, HS0ZED

On 14/04/2016 15:10, Barry wrote:

> Is this the forerunner to the K-Watch?  :-)
>
> Barry W2UP

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

bill steffey
ORDER IN

as they say on "hawaii 50"     SHIP IT WAYNO.........errr   ah Danno....

guess I'll have to wait till Dayton to try out my new acquisition.

bill  H/3

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Robert Nobis - N7RJN
Fantastic. I have been waiting for something like this. I pre-ordered the morning.

73,

Bob Nobis - N7RJN

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Jim Finan
Order in also.

Now to wait until June 15th...July...Aug... ;)

interesting that the RJ-Jack question just came up again recently. Now the answer has changed.

Jim Finan
AB4AC

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
as they say on "hawaii 50" SHIP IT WAYNO.........errr ah Danno....

guess I'll have to wait till Dayton to try out my new acquisition.

bill H/3

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Scott Manthe-2
Good job, Wayne! I'd love to see a K3S-style bezel for the K3. It's a
small thing, but the new bezel looks a lot nicer than the K3's
plexiglass version. I'd even pay $50... :)

73,
Scott N9AA

On 4/13/16 11:04 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> [...]
>    (the latter method results in a single cable to the K-Pod for data and power)
> * 3 utility outputs for miscellaneous equipment control applications
>    (outputs provide a low resistance to ground when turned on, usable with relays, etc.)
>
> The K-Pod's all-steel enclosure weighs a full pound for excellent stability, yet measures only about 3.5 x 3 x 1 inches. A highly stable folding tilt stand is included to angle the panel for optimal access. There's also a 2-hole RAM mount pattern on the bottom for easy attachment to any surface.
>
> For photos and further information, please visit our K-Pod web page:
>
>    http://www.elecraft.com/k-pod/k-pod.htm
>
> 73,
> Wayne, N6KR
> Eric, WA6HHQ

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

William Lagerberg
Hi Wayne,

Sound’s good to me, but with a wire connected to K3 or K3S  wasn’t there a possibility to make a small bluetooth module into K3 and K3S then there would’t have been a possibility to do it wireless…
Next to that, you probably would have the possibility to connect other devices to ??

I am not a programmer, so perhaps it is program technical not possible, but i think that would have been very nice perhaps better….

Then you can put it where you like on your desk.

My little attribute on this subject,   William PE1BSB.

[hidden email] [Elecraft_K3] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> It look interesting. Can you explain the connections for data, power and firmware upgrades in detail:
>
> * USB port for firmware loading and future equipment/computer control applications

There will be a "K-Pod Utility" for firmware loading. Over time it will gain the ability to configure the K-Pod switches, LEDs, USB port, and general-purpose outputs in various ways.

> * simple connection to K3 or K3S--uses the 6-pin RJ-style jack beneath the front panel
> * flexible power source: rear 12-V jack on the radio, DC barrel jack,
> USB port, or even through the 6-pin data cable, with minor radio modification
> (the latter method results in a single cable to the K-Pod for data and power)
>
> It would be nice to have one connection to the radio. I guess this would be the 6-pin data cable.

This is the idea. There will be a mod to power the pod through the data cable. Details pending.

> Can I upgrade the firmware to the Pod via this connection from the RS-232 or USB port on the K3/K3S?

As of now the plan is to use the USB port on the K-Pod for updating its firmware.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 5:21 AM, Doug Turnbull <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear OM Wayne,
>      Thank you for producing a control pod!    It is one accessory I have
> wanted since first purchasing a K3.   The Orion II had a more basic version
> of what you are about to produce.
>
>       For me the most important function is the ability to access the eight
> messages stored CW and Voice memory.   No longer do I have to pose my finger
> over M2 button blocking the view of the P3 and most of the other switches.
> This was always uncomfortable.

To do that, you'd simply use K3 Utility to set up any of macros 9-16 with the appropriate switch-emulation commands for the K3's M1-M4 tap/hold functions. These are described in the Programmer's Reference and will also be among the examples in the K-Pod owner's manual.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 7:53 AM, William Lagerberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> Sound’s good to me, but with a wire connected to K3 or K3S  wasn’t there a possibility to make a small bluetooth module into K3 and K3S then there would’t have been a possibility to do it wireless…

For now, this is left as an exercise for the reader :)

Personally, I prefer the single cable from the pod to the radio, allowing the pod to be powered by the radio and eliminating the need for a battery or separate supply.