New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Has to be heavy to survive in K6XX's shack (Bob Wolbert, contester extraordinare and abuser of peripheral devices). As with a keyer paddle, you don't want it to move around when you use it.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 5:09 AM, Irwin Darack [hidden email] [elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Can you use the K-Pod function keys to key the CW, RTTY & DVK SSB memories stored in the K3S?
>
> Thanks, Irwin KD3TB

Yes.

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

W1KSZ
Wired accessories ?? In this day ?? I thought that went out with
VHS Tape Decks.

I much prefer wireless, the minor inconvenience of replacing a battery
every few months far outweighs having a cable  to deal with.

Perhaps add it to the Product Improvement Program ?

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On 4/14/2016 9:20 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 7:53 AM, William Lagerberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Wayne,
>>
>> Sound’s good to me, but with a wire connected to K3 or K3S  wasn’t there a possibility to make a small bluetooth module into K3 and K3S then there would’t have been a possibility to do it wireless…
> For now, this is left as an exercise for the reader :)
>
> Personally, I prefer the single cable from the pod to the radio, allowing the pod to be powered by the radio and eliminating the need for a battery or separate supply.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Mike Dodd
The K-Pod datasheet says, "A USB port is provided on the K-Pod for
firmware updates and future station control uses."

Does this mean I can connect the USB cable to my PC only when I want to
upgrade the firmware using the K-Pod Utility?

Or must the USB be always connected?

Thanks, Wayne.

--
73, Mike N4CF
Louisa County, VA USA

On Apr 14, 2016, at 9:25 AM, W1KSZ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wired accessories ?? In this day ?? I thought that went out with
> VHS Tape Decks.
>
> I much prefer wireless, the minor inconvenience of replacing a battery
> every few months far outweighs having a cable  to deal with.
>
> Perhaps add it to the Product Improvement Program ?

Dick,

The K-Pod uses an optical encoder with a ball-bearing drive to obtain both smooth, fast tuning and up to 400 counts per turn. The encoder consumes about 30 mA, and the rest of the K-Pod another 10-20 mA. A battery large enough to handle this for a good length of operating time won't fit inside the pod.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 9:33 AM, Mike Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The K-Pod datasheet says, "A USB port is provided on the K-Pod for firmware updates and future station control uses."
>
> Does this mean I can connect the USB cable to my PC only when I want to upgrade the firmware using the K-Pod Utility?
>
> Or must the USB be always connected?

You'd only need to connect the USB cable if you were using the K-Pod Utility app to update your pod's firmware or change its switch behavior.

On the other hand, with future firmware (not committing to anything, yet!) the K-Pod should be able to emulate a mouse, keyboard, or some combination of these via its USB port. So you could use it as a general-purpose input device to control software applications.

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Alan Bloom
I was agitating to call it the "K-NOB" but got voted down.  :=)

Alan N1AL

On 04/14/2016 05:10 AM, Barry wrote:

> Is this the forerunner to the K-Watch?  :-)
>
> Barry W2UP

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Ken G Kopp
K-NOB .... Super name, IMO!

K0PP
On Apr 14, 2016 10:45, "Alan Bloom" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was agitating to call it the "K-NOB" but got voted down.  :=)
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 04/14/2016 05:10 AM, Barry wrote:
>
>> Is this the forerunner to the K-Watch?  :-)
>>
>> Barry W2UP

Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Is the K-Pod similar to my PigKnob?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 4/13/2016 8:51 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
> What a cool accessory Wayne!  Nice work!!

Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Carl AB1DD
I would vote for "K Nob"
My first thought when I saw the posting for the K Pod was someone was going to talk about a morning breakfast drink! Of course, I'm in the Green Mountain State.

Carl
AB1DD

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Rick Miller - N1RM
Wayne:

This looks slick.  I sometimes use my K3 to control a remote station through RemoteRig controllers in K3 Twin mode.  If I hook this to my local ("control") K3, will it work through the RRC setup to control the remote ("radio") K3?  Given that it hooks into the front panel, it seems like it may.

Rick - N1RM

K-Pod vs Pigknob (was Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers)

Hisashi T Fujinaka
That's what I thought.

And as an added question, I still have to see if I can get my PigKnob to
work with my K3 upgraded with the KIO3B + P3 with the CBLP3Y. I'd put it
inline to the PC connection, I think.

I keep forgetting to do that because I mostly used my PigKnob on CW and
I'm busy doing JT9/JT65 lately.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016, Fred Jensen wrote:

> Is the K-Pod similar to my PigKnob?
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 4/13/2016 8:51 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
>> What a cool accessory Wayne!  Nice work!!

Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee

Re: K-Pod vs Pigknob (was Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers)

Nick Garner
The K-Pod has a vastly superior encoder and knob compared to the PigKnob.
Using the same encoder as the K3 in the PigKnob wasn't economically
feasible at the low quantities I deal with.  There is a header on the board
though for enterprising individuals who want to connect the K3 encoder
(purchased from Elecraft) to the PigKnob.

Hisashi, send an email over to [hidden email] if you run into issues
and I'll help you out.

73,
Nick
N3WG

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Hisashi T Fujinaka <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That's what I thought.
>
> And as an added question, I still have to see if I can get my PigKnob to
> work with my K3 upgraded with the KIO3B + P3 with the CBLP3Y. I'd put it
> inline to the PC connection, I think.
>
> I keep forgetting to do that because I mostly used my PigKnob on CW and
> I'm busy doing JT9/JT65 lately.
>
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016, Fred Jensen wrote:
>
> Is the K-Pod similar to my PigKnob?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Fred K6DGW
>> - Northern California Contest Club
>> - CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
>> - www.cqp.org
>>
>> On 4/13/2016 8:51 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
>>
>>> What a cool accessory Wayne!  Nice work!!

> Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]
> BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee

Re: [Elecraft_K3] New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

The two are quite different, Fred. Yours has the edge on price.... Other major differences: The K-Pod connects to the K3/K3S at the RJ jack beneath the front panel, so it doesn't tie up the rig's RS232 or USB ports. It can optionally be powered through this cable. The optical/ball-bearing encoder is 400 counts and uses the same weighted, soft-touch knob as the K3S. A rocker switch selects VFO A/B/OFFSET control. Function switches F1-F8 directly trigger up to 16 macros in the radio. There's a USB port, 4 programmable LEDs, and 3 general-purpose open-drain outputs.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:38 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the K-Pod similar to my PigKnob?
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

kk5na
So, it needs the control cable, a power cable and could possibly have a
third cable for USB?

  Joe KK5NA
On 4/14/2016 11:41 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 9:33 AM, Mike Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The K-Pod datasheet says, "A USB port is provided on the K-Pod for firmware updates and future station control uses."
>>
>> Does this mean I can connect the USB cable to my PC only when I want to upgrade the firmware using the K-Pod Utility?
>>
>> Or must the USB be always connected?
> You'd only need to connect the USB cable if you were using the K-Pod Utility app to update your pod's firmware or change its switch behavior.
>
> On the other hand, with future firmware (not committing to anything, yet!) the K-Pod should be able to emulate a mouse, keyboard, or some combination of these via its USB port. So you could use it as a general-purpose input device to control software applications.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

At minimum, you need a data cable (to the RJ jack on beneath the rig's front panel). This cable can optionally supply power to the pod as well. Or you can use an external supply.

The USB cable would only be needed when updating the firmware, and even that might be possible through the data cable.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 11:28 AM, kk5na <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, it needs the control cable, a power cable and could possibly have a third cable for USB?
>
> Joe KK5NA
> On 4/14/2016 11:41 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2016, at 9:33 AM, Mike Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The K-Pod datasheet says, "A USB port is provided on the K-Pod for firmware updates and future station control uses."
>>>
>>> Does this mean I can connect the USB cable to my PC only when I want to upgrade the firmware using the K-Pod Utility?
>>>
>>> Or must the USB be always connected?
>> You'd only need to connect the USB cable if you were using the K-Pod Utility app to update your pod's firmware or change its switch behavior.
>>
>> On the other hand, with future firmware (not committing to anything, yet!) the K-Pod should be able to emulate a mouse, keyboard, or some combination of these via its USB port. So you could use it as a general-purpose input device to control software applications.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

KV5J
It's a no for me.  Too many wires now.  I can't believe the difference in wires behind my SDR radio and my K3s.  The K3s is a rats nest.

Keith

On 4/14/2016 2:31 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

 > The USB cable would only be needed when updating the firmware, and
 > even that might be possible through the data cable.

what about the other way around?  Will it be possible to update the
K3 and/or P3 through the K-Pod - perhaps even use the K-Pod as a
USB interface for control of the K3?

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Dave Van Wallaghen-2
  Hey Wayne,

As usual, an impressive product.

Any chance we might be able to use the knob to emulate the QSY function
on the P3 in the future? I would love to use that bigger knob to move
the cursor on the P3. Maybe even set the markers as well.

73,
Dave W8FGU

On 4/13/2016 11:04:50 PM, "Wayne Burdick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>Typically the K-Pod would be placed next to a computer keyboard,
>allowing the operator to quickly QSY, clear RIT, enter diversity mode,
>change menu settings, etc., without that long stretch to reach the
>radio's front panel.
>
>But the K-Pod's flexible interface goes beyond substitution of the
>radio's knobs and switches. In effect, you can design your own
>customized controls for the radio.
>
>Each of the 8 programmable switches has tap and hold functions. When a
>switch function is used, it activates one of up to 16 user-defined
>command sequences that are actually stored in the radio itself, as
>macros. A single macro can accomplish many tasks at once, such as
>setting up custom splits, configuring the receiver or subreceiver for
>specific situations, sending transmit messages at differing code
>speeds, etc. Macros can be easily created or edited using K3 Utility,
>which runs on PC, Mac, or Linux platforms.
>
>The K-Pod has the following features:
>
>* high-quality weighted, soft-touch tuning knob--same as used on the
>K3S
>* same 400-count, ball-bearing optical encoder used in the K3 and K3S
>* adjustable knob friction
>* 3-position rocker switch to assign the knob to VFO A, VFO B, or
>RIT/XIT
>* 8 programmable function switches, each with tap/hold functions
>* simple switch programming using K3 Utility (many examples in K-Pod
>manual)
>* four user-definable LEDs (three of them show knob assignment by
>default)
>* audio tone generator for switch feedback (can be easily turned off)
>* USB port for firmware loading and future equipment/computer control
>applications
>* simple connection to K3 or K3S--uses the 6-pin RJ-style jack beneath
>the front panel
>* flexible power source: rear 12-V jack on the radio, DC barrel jack,
>   USB port, or even through the 6-pin data cable, with minor radio
>modification
>   (the latter method results in a single cable to the K-Pod for data
>and power)
>* 3 utility outputs for miscellaneous equipment control applications
>   (outputs provide a low resistance to ground when turned on, usable
>with relays, etc.)
>
>The K-Pod's all-steel enclosure weighs a full pound for excellent
>stability, yet measures only about 3.5 x 3 x 1 inches. A highly stable
>folding tilt stand is included to angle the panel for optimal access.
>There's also a 2-hole RAM mount pattern on the bottom for easy
>attachment to any surface.
>
>For photos and further information, please visit our K-Pod web page:
>
>   http://www.elecraft.com/k-pod/k-pod.htm
>
>73,
>Wayne, N6KR
>Eric, WA6HHQ

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Bill Frantz
I see this device as a fix for one if the biggest issues I have
trying to rise to the top of a DX pileup while running split --
hitting the VFO A or RIT/XIT knob and losing the DX. I currently
solve that problem by locking VFO A, but this means that fine
adjustments of tuning for him take a couple of extra steps. It
also means that VFO A is locked on different bands if I decide
to see what else is on while I wait for the pileup to die down
or propagation to improve. It looks like the switch on the K-Pod
will be hard enough to move to make it another solution to the problem.

If it is really just a mirror for the VFO B knob, i will still
not be able to tune in the pileup while monitoring the power
supply voltage on the K3. It might be nice if it was VFO B while
the K3's VFO B know remained the selector for the measurement to
monito (time, volts, amps, etc.)

73 Bill AE6JV