New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Hi Dave,

Probably a small matter of programming, but we haven't tried it yet.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Dave W8FGU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Wayne,
>
> As usual, an impressive product.
>
> Any chance we might be able to use the knob to emulate the QSY function on the P3 in the future? I would love to use that bigger knob to move the cursor on the P3. Maybe even set the markers as well.
>
> 73,
> Dave W8FGU

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Dave Van Wallaghen-2
Sounds very promising. Thanks Wayne!

Dave W8FGU

On 4/14/2016 3:54:09 PM, "Wayne Burdick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Dave,
>
>Probably a small matter of programming, but we haven't tried it yet.
>
>Wayne
>N6KR
>

>On Apr 14, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Dave W8FGU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Hey Wayne,
>>
>>  As usual, an impressive product.
>>
>>  Any chance we might be able to use the knob to emulate the QSY
>>function on the P3 in the future? I would love to use that bigger knob
>>to move the cursor on the P3. Maybe even set the markers as well.
>>
>>  73,
>>  Dave W8FGU

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

"Just as there are no smart cows, there are no 'small matters of
programming'." :-))

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 4/14/2016 12:54 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Probably a small matter of programming, but we haven't tried it yet.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Bob Novas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_matter_of_programming

No no, it's a minor detail.

Bob, W3DK

Message
> delivered to [hidden email]

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Barry Jablonski
Hi Keith,

I totally agree.  In the software world it's called spaghetti code -- in
the hardware world it's an octopus's garden.  RS-232 is so 30 years
old!  All modern radios
have one go's into and one go's out'a.  Using standard modern
protocols.  Elecraft needs to join the modern world.

Barry

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Done. For most applications, a single USB cable to the radio (K3S, or a K3 with a KIO3B module) is all that's required for combined computer data and audio.

We provide lots of other DC, audio, and digital I/O too, just in case you need it. For example, we provide a second headphone jack, second mic jack, and stereo speaker outputs on the back. Just in case.

No way to get rid of the DC input jack, antenna jack, and ground screw, of course.

I suppose the keyer paddle could go to Bluetooth?

On Apr 14, 2016, at 5:22 PM, Barry Jablonski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> I totally agree.  In the software world it's called spaghetti code -- in the hardware world it's an octopus's garden.  RS-232 is so 30 years old!  All modern radios
> have one go's into and one go's out'a.  Using standard modern protocols.  Elecraft needs to join the modern world.
>
> Barry

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

John Pitz
I don't want to cause excessive topic drift here, but I really
appreciate the various simple options that the KX3 provides.  If I want
to do digital, there is the IQ output.  If I want to do ssb, there is
mic input.  If I want computer control or to update the firmware there
is an RS232 input.  I can use any or all of them as my needs at the
moment dictate.  Having the rs232 by the way enables me to use a
microcontroller to control the radio.  If the KX3 used USB there is no
way that most people will be able to put together a microcontroller
project to control their radio.  Just about anyone can program for
RS232, very few can deal with a USB stack.  I will gladly deal with the
cabling in exchange of the flexibility that it enables.  Just one
customer's pennies worth.  Have a great night everyone.

On Thu, 2016-04-14 at 17:38 -0700, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Done. For most applications, a single USB cable to the radio (K3S, or a K3 with a KIO3B module) is all that's required for combined computer data and audio.
>
> We provide lots of other DC, audio, and digital I/O too, just in case you need it. For example, we provide a second headphone jack, second mic jack, and stereo speaker outputs on the back. Just in case.
>
> No way to get rid of the DC input jack, antenna jack, and ground screw, of course.
>
> I suppose the keyer paddle could go to Bluetooth?
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 5:22 PM, Barry Jablonski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > I totally agree.  In the software world it's called spaghetti code -- in the hardware world it's an octopus's garden.  RS-232 is so 30 years old!  All modern radios
> > have one go's into and one go's out'a.  Using standard modern protocols.  Elecraft needs to join the modern world.
> >
> > Barry

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Gary Smith-2
Wayne & Eric,

Here's the way it is, according to me:

I really like the radios and equipment you
make. Flash is pretty but I crave an
eloquent solution for what I want to do
and I don't honestly give too much of a
flip as to how somebody else wants their
radio to be.

One thing is for sure, I don't want a
"one-time radio is all it is, take it or
leave it", you buy it & that's what it is
forever more. I want a radio that I can
configure to what I want to do with it,
get it right for me, and leave it
configured that way.

I'm a creature of habit and once it works
right for me, I'll know how to use it the
next time and for as long as I wish, it
will perform just how I want it to; no
mysteries. I want a radio that is updated
such that hardware and software are made
available to improve what I had earlier
bought. Elecraft does this and none of the
others do. Made here in the USA too. Put
that on the wish list for Icom.

Would I like a big knob here & there? Not
if I'm not going to use it. Do I need a
better contesting rig? With my K3 and wire
antennas I keep on winning state and
division contests in my class, I don't
think more knobs would give me better
scores. Faster typing might help and maybe
better ears but that's organic deficits,
not electronic.

Would I like a big rig that is a cross
between a computer and a microwave? No,
not unless it also cooks for me like a
microwave in the middle of one of those
contests. I'll take a BrontoBurger with
cheese & Chippotle sauce from the
replicator, please.

You two are a whole lot younger than I am
and with that, the odds being what they
are, you'll likely be designing and making
radios well after I'm gone from this coil.
So with that little bit of reality I can
say that there is nobody who makes a radio
I want more than my K3s at this time. You
keep innovating and I'll have a company to
support and in the process, I'll spruce up
my shack in these here Golden years with
the finest upcoming radios money can buy.

I don't need the newest and greatest
immediately, I can wait. But when I do
want that, I know exactly where to get it;
on Westridge Drive in Watsonville,
California.

73,

Gary
KA1J

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

Gary,

I've already framed this and hung it in the hallway. Thanks for your ongoing support!

On Apr 14, 2016, at 6:21 PM, "Gary Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne & Eric,
>
> Here's the way it is, according to me:
>
> I really like the radios and equipment you
> make. Flash is pretty but I crave an
> eloquent solution for what I want to do
> and I don't honestly give too much of a
> flip as to how somebody else wants their
> radio to be.
>
> One thing is for sure, I don't want a
> "one-time radio is all it is, take it or
> leave it", you buy it & that's what it is
> forever more. I want a radio that I can
> configure to what I want to do with it,
> get it right for me, and leave it
> configured that way.
>
> I'm a creature of habit and once it works
> right for me, I'll know how to use it the
> next time and for as long as I wish, it
> will perform just how I want it to; no
> mysteries. I want a radio that is updated
> such that hardware and software are made
> available to improve what I had earlier
> bought. Elecraft does this and none of the
> others do. Made here in the USA too. Put
> that on the wish list for Icom.
>
> Would I like a big knob here & there? Not
> if I'm not going to use it. Do I need a
> better contesting rig? With my K3 and wire
> antennas I keep on winning state and
> division contests in my class, I don't
> think more knobs would give me better
> scores. Faster typing might help and maybe
> better ears but that's organic deficits,
> not electronic.
>
> Would I like a big rig that is a cross
> between a computer and a microwave? No,
> not unless it also cooks for me like a
> microwave in the middle of one of those
> contests. I'll take a BrontoBurger with
> cheese & Chippotle sauce from the
> replicator, please.
>
> You two are a whole lot younger than I am
> and with that, the odds being what they
> are, you'll likely be designing and making
> radios well after I'm gone from this coil.
> So with that little bit of reality I can
> say that there is nobody who makes a radio
> I want more than my K3s at this time. You
> keep innovating and I'll have a company to
> support and in the process, I'll spruce up
> my shack in these here Golden years with
> the finest upcoming radios money can buy.
>
> I don't need the newest and greatest
> immediately, I can wait. But when I do
> want that, I know exactly where to get it;
> on Westridge Drive in Watsonville,
> California.
>
> 73,
>
> Gary
> KA1J

Re: New Elecraft Product: K-Pod Control Panel for K3S and K3 Transceivers

KEN-3

On 4/14/16 8:22 PM, Barry Jablonski wrote:
> In the software world it's called spaghetti code -- _in the hardware
> world it's an octopus's garden. _

That is why we no longer call it "Wireless"  ;-)

Ken WA8JXM