New Elecraft owner.

W2RMS
Hello fellow Elecraft-ers!
Just received the shipment of my new K3/100 kit (SN8086).
Name is Slava (Sal) W2RMS.
Will be starting the assembly over the weekend.
Can’t wait to join the community.
Been reading this list (and everything else i could find on the subject of Elecraft) for a few weeks now.
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Slava (Sal), W2RMS

Re: New Elecraft owner.

Jim Bennett
Hi Sal -

Welcome to the list and to the Elecraft community! Take your time with the kit and savor the experience of building your own radio. That K3/100 will give you many, many years of enjoyable operating, no matter what mode(s) you choose to explore. The Elecraft manual is good, but I recommend you consider purchasing the K3 manual by KE7X (Fred Cady). I use my copy with my K3 and the one I bought from him for my KX3 also. Anyway, if you've got questions on building or operating that radio, this is the place to start!

73, Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

On   Friday, Mar 21, 2014, at  Friday, 8:38 PM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:

> Hello fellow Elecraft-ers!
> Just received the shipment of my new K3/100 kit (SN8086).
> Name is Slava (Sal) W2RMS.
> Will be starting the assembly over the weekend.
> Can’t wait to join the community.
> Been reading this list (and everything else i could find on the subject of Elecraft) for a few weeks now.
> Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
>
> Slava (Sal), W2RMS

New Elecraft owner.

AA6VO

On Friday, March 21, 2014, Jim Bennett [via Elecraft] <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml-node%2Bs365791n7585816h73@n2.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml-node+s365791n7585816h73@...> wrote:

Take your time with the kit and savor the experience of building your own radio.

My -only- regret with regard to my K3/100 is that I ordered it -assembled- and missed out on the building experience, and the resulting better understanding of the radio. But that was before I retired and wasn't taking time to "smell the roses".  I will soon be ordering the P3; or maybe a KX3 for mobile. In -kit- version of course!

Good luck Sal, keep us informed!

Steve
AA6VO

--
Steve

Steve
AA6VO

Re: New Elecraft owner.

W2RMS
Hello again, Elecraft-ers!
Just finished the first part of the assembly process.
Took about 6 hours yesterday and about 3 hours today...
Got the K3 calibrated (somewhat). Interesting thing: the TX Gain (5W) calibration failed using the Mac but succeeded using the same Mac but running the K3 Utility in Win7 running in Parallels.
Not sure what that’s about…
I’m a bit unclear on the KTCXO (i bought the 1 ppm unit) calibration process (i don’t have a freq counter on hand). Trying to use the WWV process.
I think i got those zero-beat tones right but i’m not 100% on this.

Now its time to power it off and install the rest: KRX3 and KPA3.

Man, this is one sexy radio…

Slava (Sal), W2RMS

On Mar 21, 2014, at 11:38 PM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello fellow Elecraft-ers!
> Just received the shipment of my new K3/100 kit (SN8086).
> Name is Slava (Sal) W2RMS.
> Will be starting the assembly over the weekend.
> Can’t wait to join the community.
> Been reading this list (and everything else i could find on the subject of Elecraft) for a few weeks now.
> Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
>
> Slava (Sal), W2RMS

Re: New Elecraft owner.

W2RMS
That’s it! Done!
Wow, what a job this was…
Got the K3 all built and configured. Well, the necessary post-build configuration, that is.
What is this weird descending tone when i was configuring the 100w amp unit? Is that normal?
Seems to be gone now…
The 5w and 50w TX Gain calibration went through fine.
I guess i’ll listen to 10m tomorrow, when its light out. My hex beam project has not yet started so i’m limited to 10/12/15/17/20 meters with a 10m vertical (SPT-500) antenna.

Anyways, looking forward to join the Elecraft SSB net some time soon.

Slava (Sal) W2RMS. A proud new owner of an Elecraft K3/100.

Re: New Elecraft owner.

Don Wilhelm-4
Sal,

Welcome to the Elecraft community.
After a while, you may find yourself 'drinking the kool-aid' just like
so many others.
I do not recall any descending tone when I installed the KPA3, but it
has been a long time and my memory of that has failed.
Have fun with that K3 and keep up with the firmware upgrades for even
more improvement - the K3 firmware has been quite stable for some time,
but minor improvements are still being made occasionally. You may even
want to try the beta firmware if there is something in the release notes
that interests you.