New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Hi all,

I have a lot of firmware in progress on several different radios, but the idea of having two sets of ATU data was irresistible, so I added it to the KX2 to try it out. I’ll port it to the KX3, too.

There’s now a menu entry called ATU DATA, with two selections:  SET 1 and SET 2. Each provides ATU settings for all bands (up to 32 segments per). I’m using SET 1 for home and SET 2 for field operation.

I also changed the way the CLR function (OFS knob hold) works. Now, if you’re in either the ATU DATA or ATU MD menu entries, holding CLR only clears the network values for the *presently selected* ATU data set (on the present band). Thus you can arrive at your campsite, etc., select SET 2, then do a CLR on each band if you’d like, without messing up your SET 1 data.

(Doing a CLR is a good idea with any new antenna on a given band. With fairly low-Q antennas, you may then only have to do an ATU tune at the middle of each band. The ATU always uses data for the closest of the 32 segments on each band that has non-zero data, even if there’s just one segment pre-tuned.)

To verify that the ATU DATA feature working, I added another new function. While you’re in the ATU DATA or ATU MD menu entries, you can tap “ATU” to see the present LC network values. It’s a little cryptic but still useful. The format is Lxx.Cxx.Nx, where:

    Lxx or Cxx = L or C relay settings in hexadecimal
    Nx = Network C in/out relay setting, either A = antenna side of inductor, or T = TX side.

Someone armed with the KXAT2 schematic could write a little program that converts xx into microhenries and picofarads. I’d do it myself if I had the spare time.

If anyone else would like to give the new firmware a whirl, please email me directly.

Re: New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Elecraft mailing list
Excellent, Wayne!  Now I wish I had a KX2 to test it on.  I guess my KX3 will have to wait.

Mark
KE6BB

null

Re: [KX3] New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Holger Schurig-2

> > Someone armed with the KXAT2 schematic could write a little program that
> converts xx into microhenries and picofarads. I’d do it myself if I had the
> spare time.

Hi Wayne,

aeons ago you wrote the L/C values into this mailing list (even before the
schematic was released, AFAIK). *)

I wrote a Python program that convers the bit pattern of the relais setting
that the AK serial command returns into uF and mH. See here:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5d53f5bdbc50782a9d5e2c8d7062be69

*)
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-Operating-Tip-Determining-the-ATU-s-L-C-values-and-L-net-configuration-td7560189.html
is the post I used for the L/C values.

Re: New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Randy Moore
Wayne,

I would use this on my K3/KAT3. I have more than 2 wire antennas in my yard, and experiment with different ones. I could keep my 2 primary antennas in SET1, and use SET2 for my trial antennas! Any chance?

73,
Randy, KS4L

> On Mar 30, 2017, at 9:48 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a lot of firmware in progress on several different radios, but the idea of having two sets of ATU data was irresistible, so I added it to the KX2 to try it out. I’ll port it to the KX3, too.
>
> There’s now a menu entry called ATU DATA, with two selections:  SET 1 and SET 2. Each provides ATU settings for all bands (up to 32 segments per). I’m using SET 1 for home and SET 2 for field operation.
>
> I also changed the way the CLR function (OFS knob hold) works. Now, if you’re in either the ATU DATA or ATU MD menu entries, holding CLR only clears the network values for the *presently selected* ATU data set (on the present band). Thus you can arrive at your campsite, etc., select SET 2, then do a CLR on each band if you’d like, without messing up your SET 1 data.
>
> (Doing a CLR is a good idea with any new antenna on a given band. With fairly low-Q antennas, you may then only have to do an ATU tune at the middle of each band. The ATU always uses data for the closest of the 32 segments on each band that has non-zero data, even if there’s just one segment pre-tuned.)
>
> To verify that the ATU DATA feature working, I added another new function. While you’re in the ATU DATA or ATU MD menu entries, you can tap “ATU” to see the present LC network values. It’s a little cryptic but still useful. The format is Lxx.Cxx.Nx, where:
>
>    Lxx or Cxx = L or C relay settings in hexadecimal
>    Nx = Network C in/out relay setting, either A = antenna side of inductor, or T = TX side.
>
> Someone armed with the KXAT2 schematic could write a little program that converts xx into microhenries and picofarads. I’d do it myself if I had the spare time.
>
> If anyone else would like to give the new firmware a whirl, please email me directly.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Don Wilhelm
Randy,

You already have a similar capability in the K3 with KAT3.
It is the ANT1/ANT2 selection.

On 3/31/2017 7:33 AM, Randy Moore wrote:
> Wayne,
>
> I would use this on my K3/KAT3. I have more than 2 wire antennas in my yard, and experiment with different ones. I could keep my 2 primary antennas in SET1, and use SET2 for my trial antennas! Any chance?

Re: New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Randy Moore
Don,

I already use ANT1 and ANT2 for my 2 primary antennas. But if I connect a
third antenna, say to ANT1, and use the KAT3 to match it on a few bands,
then I've lost the settings for those bands for one of my primary antennas
previously connected to ANT1.

Or have I misunderstood something?

73,
Randy, KS4L

On Mar 31, 2017 7:07 AM, "Don Wilhelm" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Randy,
>
> You already have a similar capability in the K3 with KAT3.
> It is the ANT1/ANT2 selection.

> On 3/31/2017 7:33 AM, Randy Moore wrote:
>
>> Wayne,
>>
>> I would use this on my K3/KAT3. I have more than 2 wire antennas in my
>> yard, and experiment with different ones. I could keep my 2 primary
>> antennas in SET1, and use SET2 for my trial antennas! Any chance?

Re: [KX3] New KX2 firmware to test; provides two sets of ATU data and LC value display

Mike Morrow-3
Wayne wrote:

>> Someone armed with the KXAT2 schematic could write a little program that
>> converts xx into microhenries and picofarads. I’d do it myself if I had the
>> spare time.

Such a project is challenging because the KXAT2 schematic and parts values have *not* been made available outside very limited distribution.

Holger wrote:

> aeons ago you wrote the L/C values into this mailing list (even before the
> schematic was released, AFAIK). *)
>
> I wrote a Python program that convers the bit pattern of the relais setting
> that the AK serial command returns into uF and mH. See here:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5d53f5bdbc50782a9d5e2c8d7062be69
>
> *)
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-Operating-Tip-Determining-the-ATU-s-L-C-values-and-L-net-configuration-td7560189.html
> is the post I used for the L/C values.

That information applies to the KX3, *not* to the KX2 that is the target of Wayne's post.  Necessary technical information in the form of schematics and part values has *not* been made generally available for the KXAT2.

Mike / KK5F

Obtaining the KX2's ATU LC values

The KX2 firmware currently being field tested allows you to determine the ATU’s LC network settings while in the menu. (This feature will be added to the KX3 as well.)

Below is the information needed to extract the actual L, C, and L-net configuration values from the information that is flashed on VFO A when you tap “ATU” in the new ATU DATA menu entry.

* * *

While in the ATU DATA (or ATU MD) menu entry, tap ‘ATU’ to obtain the L/C/Net values.

The displayed data format is “LaaCbbNc;”, where:

   aa = inductance bitmap in ASCII hex format
   bb = capacitance bitmap in ASCII hex format
   c = L network relay setting:

      A = capacitance on antenna side
      T = capacitance on transmitter side

Example: Suppose “L03C12NT” is flashed. The network setting is shown by the last character (A or T; see above).

Next, convert the L and C hexadecimal quantities to binary:

   03 => 00000011 (L)
   12 => 00010010 (C)

Compare these values to the lists below, which show approximate L and C values for each bit of the binary word. In the example above, 00000011 for L means that two smallest inductors are switched in (.05 and .11 uH). Add these together to determine the total L value. Similarly, add up the selected capacitors based on the binary value 00010010.

        --------------- Binary Value ----------
         0     0     0     0     0     0     0
L, uH:   4.0   2.0   1.0   .5    .23   .11   .05

         0     0     0     0     0     0     0
C, pF:   680   330   164   82    39    18    10

Note on L/C values:  The ATU uses industry standard 5 % values for C, and approximately 5% tolerance on toroidal inductors. L and C are not exact but will be monotonic over the required range of about 3 to 5 elements for a given match. In addition, all ATUs have stray L and C that will result in selection of somewhat different values than expected. This effect becomes more pronounced as the operating frequency increases.

Re: Obtaining the KX2's ATU LC values

Hi Ed,

Thanks for adding this to your software.

For both rigs, you could also read the “LxxCxxNx” info right off the VFO A display, if you’d like. Just use MN to get to the ATU DATA menu entry (index 112), then use SWT to virtually tap “ATU” (KX2) or “ATU TUNE (KX3), and finally read the data right off the VFO display using DS. Note that it’s a transitory display lasting about 2.5 seconds.