New KX3 S/N 8769 with a question

Phil Zminda
I just completed the build on my new KX3 last night and have it up and running but ran into one problem with the build. My kit had the errata sheet with the change in screw length to 2-56 X 1/4 in long for the battery holders. I could not get the screws started on both ends of either battery holder. If I got one screw in, the other end was raised up and the other screw didn’t seem to go through far enough to get the threads started. After struggling for a while I ended up using one of the 9/32 in screws and on one of them and a pan-head screw on the other end of each battery holder. This was just to get the rig completed and tested. I do want to eventually use batteries on occasion so I do need to fix this. I can see where the screw heads sticking up can be a risk.

I am looking for help on getting the battery holders mounted correctly with the screw heads seated into the plastic.

Loving the rig, made my 1st QSO with it last night and hoping for some time with it this weekend.

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

Re: New KX3 S/N 8769 with a question

Ken G Kopp
Phil,

I used the tip of a drill bit the same size as the screw heads and -gently-
turned it with my fingers to countersink the holes in the battery holder.
Use caution, as a sharp bit can bite into the plastic and end up going all
the way through.

73

Ken Kopp - K0PP
On Apr 9, 2016 06:06, "Phillip Zminda" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just completed the build on my new KX3 last night and have it up and
> running but ran into one problem with the build. My kit had the errata
> sheet with the change in screw length to 2-56 X 1/4 in long for the battery
> holders. I could not get the screws started on both ends of either battery
> holder. If I got one screw in, the other end was raised up and the other
> screw didn’t seem to go through far enough to get the threads started.
> After struggling for a while I ended up using one of the 9/32 in screws and
> on one of them and a pan-head screw on the other end of each battery
> holder. This was just to get the rig completed and tested. I do want to
> eventually use batteries on occasion so I do need to fix this. I can see
> where the screw heads sticking up can be a risk.
>
> I am looking for help on getting the battery holders mounted correctly
> with the screw heads seated into the plastic.
>
> Loving the rig, made my 1st QSO with it last night and hoping for some
> time with it this weekend.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil N3ZP

Re: New KX3 S/N 8769 with a question

Brendon Whateley
IIRC, I had a similar problem and ended up basically ignoring it. I tried a
bunch of times, but could never quite get it to work the way the
instructions expected.

I've not had any issues... so I've just left it as is. I am just careful
when installing the (rechargeable) batteries to make sure the screw heads
can't puncture the battery outer layer. I think that was the risk of the
screw heads.

- Brendon

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Phillip Zminda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just completed the build on my new KX3 last night and have it up and
> running but ran into one problem with the build. My kit had the errata
> sheet with the change in screw length to 2-56 X 1/4 in long for the battery
> holders. I could not get the screws started on both ends of either battery
> holder. If I got one screw in, the other end was raised up and the other
> screw didn’t seem to go through far enough to get the threads started.
> After struggling for a while I ended up using one of the 9/32 in screws and
> on one of them and a pan-head screw on the other end of each battery
> holder. This was just to get the rig completed and tested. I do want to
> eventually use batteries on occasion so I do need to fix this. I can see
> where the screw heads sticking up can be a risk.
>
> I am looking for help on getting the battery holders mounted correctly
> with the screw heads seated into the plastic.
>
> Loving the rig, made my 1st QSO with it last night and hoping for some
> time with it this weekend.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil N3ZP

Re: New KX3 S/N 8769 with a question

Joel Black-2
You know, I think the first KX3 I built had that same issue. Mine was because of some extra PCB material left on the PCB but I thought that issue had been resolved.

Regardless, I’d wait and see what the tech support folks say.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Phillip Zminda <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> I just completed the build on my new KX3 last night and have it up and
>> running but ran into one problem with the build. My kit had the errata
>> sheet with the change in screw length to 2-56 X 1/4 in long for the battery
>> holders. I could not get the screws started on both ends of either battery
>> holder. If I got one screw in, the other end was raised up and the other
>> screw didn’t seem to go through far enough to get the threads started.
>> After struggling for a while I ended up using one of the 9/32 in screws and
>> on one of them and a pan-head screw on the other end of each battery
>> holder. This was just to get the rig completed and tested. I do want to
>> eventually use batteries on occasion so I do need to fix this. I can see
>> where the screw heads sticking up can be a risk.
>>
>> I am looking for help on getting the battery holders mounted correctly
>> with the screw heads seated into the plastic.
>>
>> Loving the rig, made my 1st QSO with it last night and hoping for some
>> time with it this weekend.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil N3ZP

Re: New KX3 S/N 8769 with a question

Phil Zminda
I used a small drill bit to countersink the holes as Ken suggested and also got a better screwdriver. I was able to get  the 1/4 in screws down flush.

Thanks for the help.

Phil N3ZP