New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Jose Rivera
I humbly submit the following product idea to Elecraft.

A two meter all mode radio, encased in the current KX3 body. All the components of this radio are already
being made by Elecraft, except for a needed ATU. Suggested price $500. I'd also recommend making it at least
25-50 watts output. If 70cm can be added, so much the better.

Jose B Rivera

N2LRB

www.n2lrb.com

https://twitter.com/N2LRB

www.facebook.com/N2LRB

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Fred Smith-2
Excellent idea except for power output a 100w for an all mode would be good but in a K3s cabinet and  many of its features.

Fred N0AZZ

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Jose Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I humbly submit the following product idea to Elecraft.
>

> A two meter all mode radio, encased in the current KX3 body. All the components of this radio are already
> being made by Elecraft, except for a needed ATU. Suggested price $500. I'd also recommend making it at least
> 25-50 watts output. If 70cm can be added, so much the better.
>

> Jose B Rivera
>
> N2LRB
>
> www.n2lrb.com
>
> https://twitter.com/N2LRB
>
> www.facebook.com/N2LRB

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Richard Kendrick
If you're going to go multi-band VHF/UHF, including 220 MHz would be very nice.

Richard N7NT

On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:31 PM, Fred Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent idea except for power output a 100w for an all mode would be good but in a K3s cabinet and  many of its features.
>
> Fred N0AZZ
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Jose Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I humbly submit the following product idea to Elecraft.
>>

>> A two meter all mode radio, encased in the current KX3 body. All the components of this radio are already
>> being made by Elecraft, except for a needed ATU. Suggested price $500. I'd also recommend making it at least
>> 25-50 watts output. If 70cm can be added, so much the better.
>>

>> Jose B Rivera
>>
>> N2LRB
>>
>> www.n2lrb.com
>>
>> https://twitter.com/N2LRB
>>
>> www.facebook.com/N2LRB

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Jessie Oberreuter-2

      Hmmmm, a K3 version of a Yaesu FT-736?  I would be seriously down for
that!

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Fred Smith wrote:

> Excellent idea except for power output a 100w for an all mode would be good but in a K3s cabinet and  many of its features.
>
> Fred N0AZZ
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Jose Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I humbly submit the following product idea to Elecraft.
>>

>> A two meter all mode radio, encased in the current KX3 body. All the components of this radio are already
>> being made by Elecraft, except for a needed ATU. Suggested price $500. I'd also recommend making it at least
>> 25-50 watts output. If 70cm can be added, so much the better.
>>

>> Jose B Rivera
>>
>> N2LRB
>>
>> www.n2lrb.com
>>
>> https://twitter.com/N2LRB
>>
>> www.facebook.com/N2LRB

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Ken G Kopp
An all-mode VHF/UHF, 30 to 50 watt radio in a KX3 - sized box?  (;-)

73 - K0PP
On Oct 14, 2015 2:40 PM, "Richard Kendrick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you're going to go multi-band VHF/UHF, including 220 MHz would be very
> nice.
>
> Richard N7NT
>

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:31 PM, Fred Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Excellent idea except for power output a 100w for an all mode would be
> good but in a K3s cabinet and  many of its features.
> >
> > Fred N0AZZ
> >

> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> >> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Jose Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I humbly submit the following product idea to Elecraft.
> >>

> >> A two meter all mode radio, encased in the current KX3 body. All the
> components of this radio are already
> >> being made by Elecraft, except for a needed ATU. Suggested price $500.
> I'd also recommend making it at least
> >> 25-50 watts output. If 70cm can be added, so much the better.
> >>

> >> Jose B Rivera
> >>
> >> N2LRB
> >>
> >> www.n2lrb.com
> >>
> >> https://twitter.com/N2LRB
> >>
> >> www.facebook.com/N2LRB

> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Charlie T, K3ICH
I'd give that another big  "Hmmmm".

A 21 century FT-736  the size of a K3...???

144, 222, 432 & maybe 1296 optional.  Where do I
sign?

It would certainly be more convenient than a bunch
of transverters.

I don't think it would have to run much power to
be useful since anyone serious is gonna have some
big amps anyway.

In the effort of compactness, maybe 5 to 10 watts
tri-band + a couple watts on 1296 as a field
installable option.

73, Charlie k3ICH

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I humbly submit the following product idea to
Elecraft.

>> A two meter all mode radio, encased in the
current KX3 body. All the components of this radio
are already
>> being made by Elecraft, except for a needed
ATU. Suggested price $500. I'd also recommend
making it at least
>> 25-50 watts output. If 70cm can be added, so
much the better.

>> Jose B Rivera
>>
>> N2LRB
>>
>> www.n2lrb.com
>>
>> https://twitter.com/N2LRB
>>
>> www.facebook.com/N2LRB

>> Please help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> Please help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to

Please help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Fred Smith-2
The 100w would give you more choice of amps and running without one for a lot of modes. I have an IC-9100 and it does all of those bands plus HF and D-Star. But a K line one would be very appealing.

Fred N0AZZ

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 4:49 PM, Charlie T, K3ICH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd give that another big  "Hmmmm".
>
> A 21 century FT-736  the size of a K3...???
>
> 144, 222, 432 & maybe 1296 optional.  Where do I
> sign?
>
> It would certainly be more convenient than a bunch
> of transverters.
>
> I don't think it would have to run much power to
> be useful since anyone serious is gonna have some
> big amps anyway.
>
> In the effort of compactness, maybe 5 to 10 watts
> tri-band + a couple watts on 1296 as a field
> installable option.
>
> 73, Charlie k3ICH

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Jim Low man
At the Elecraft presentation that Eric did at Pacificon last year, I
threw out this exact idea for his consideration.

Given that Elecraft already has the technology to produce tranverters
for the K2 and K3 for 2m, 222 MHz and 432 MHz, I suggested a single box
to contain all three bands, all modes, and with a minimum of 50 watts
output.

Eric was receptive to the concept, but said he didn't think that there
would be a large enough market for such a transceiver.  He's also the
business guy with Elecraft, so I have to believe what he said.

Submitting the idea to the list a while back, the general consensus
seemed to agree, adding that the VHF/UHF weak-signal operator pool is
shrinking.

The discussion is in the archives.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 10/14/2015 1:51 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
> An all-mode VHF/UHF, 30 to 50 watt radio in a KX3 - sized box?  (;-)
>
> 73 - K0PP
> On Oct 14, 2015 2:40 PM, "Richard Kendrick" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you're going to go multi-band VHF/UHF, including 220 MHz would be very
>> nice.
>>
>> Richard N7NT

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Jim Low man
Yes, I have a Kenwood TS-2000X, which is good for 100 watts on 6m and
2m, 50 watts on 432 MHz and 10 watts on 1296 MHz.  I bought it for that
purpose.

The only thing missing is the 222 MHz band, and the only activity on
that band in this, the second-largest metropolitan area in the US, is
during contests, and most of that is on FM. Apparently that was not the
case here, 10 or so years ago.  I don't think your IC-9100 does 222 MHz,
either.

With a K3S, I wouldn't even consider using the TS-2000X on HF.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 10/14/2015 3:03 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

> The 100w would give you more choice of amps and running without one for a lot of modes. I have an IC-9100 and it does all of those bands plus HF and D-Star. But a K line one would be very appealing.
>
> Fred N0AZZ
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Oct 14, 2015, at 4:49 PM, Charlie T, K3ICH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd give that another big  "Hmmmm".
>>
>> A 21 century FT-736  the size of a K3...???
>>
>> 144, 222, 432 & maybe 1296 optional.  Where do I
>> sign?
>>
>> It would certainly be more convenient than a bunch
>> of transverters.
>>
>> I don't think it would have to run much power to
>> be useful since anyone serious is gonna have some
>> big amps anyway.
>>
>> In the effort of compactness, maybe 5 to 10 watts
>> tri-band + a couple watts on 1296 as a field
>> installable option.
>>
>> 73, Charlie k3ICH

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Rose
Everyone seems to have missed that the original poster is wanting all this
in a
KX3 .... repeat, a KX3 .... housing.  Most seem to have missed / ignored
this. (;-(

73

Ken - K0PP
On Oct 14, 2015 4:44 PM, "Jim Lowman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I have a Kenwood TS-2000X, which is good for 100 watts on 6m and 2m,
> 50 watts on 432 MHz and 10 watts on 1296 MHz.  I bought it for that purpose.
>
> The only thing missing is the 222 MHz band, and the only activity on that
> band in this, the second-largest metropolitan area in the US, is during
> contests, and most of that is on FM. Apparently that was not the case here,
> 10 or so years ago.  I don't think your IC-9100 does 222 MHz, either.
>
> With a K3S, I wouldn't even consider using the TS-2000X on HF.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
> On 10/14/2015 3:03 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> The 100w would give you more choice of amps and running without one for a
>> lot of modes. I have an IC-9100 and it does all of those bands plus HF and
>> D-Star. But a K line one would be very appealing.
>>
>> Fred N0AZZ
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Oct 14, 2015, at 4:49 PM, Charlie T, K3ICH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd give that another big  "Hmmmm".
>>>
>>> A 21 century FT-736  the size of a K3...???
>>>
>>> 144, 222, 432 & maybe 1296 optional.  Where do I
>>> sign?
>>>
>>> It would certainly be more convenient than a bunch
>>> of transverters.
>>>
>>> I don't think it would have to run much power to
>>> be useful since anyone serious is gonna have some
>>> big amps anyway.
>>>
>>> In the effort of compactness, maybe 5 to 10 watts
>>> tri-band + a couple watts on 1296 as a field
>>> installable option.
>>>
>>> 73, Charlie k3ICH

Thank God for Icom then I guess my 9100 works fine on all bands but wasted my money on the 1296 module very little use there.

Fred N0AZZ

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 5:27 PM, Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Given

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Fred Smith-2
Your correct no 222 on it but was a lot better than my old TS2000X I had before it.

Fred N0AZZ

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 5:43 PM, Jim Lowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I have a Kenwood TS-2000X, which is good for 100 watts on 6m and 2m, 50 watts on 432 MHz and 10 watts on 1296 MHz.  I bought it for that ...purpose.
>
> The only thing missing is the 222 MHz band, and the only activity on that band in this, the second-largest metropolitan area in the US, is during contests, and most of that is on FM. Apparently that was not the case here, 10 or so years ago.  I don't think your IC-9100 does 222 MHz, either.
>
> With a K3S, I wouldn't even consider using the TS-2000X on HF.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
>> On 10/14/2015 3:03 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>> The 100w would give you more choice of amps and running without one for a lot of modes. I have an IC-9100 and it does all of those bands plus HF and D-Star. But a K line one would be very appealing.
>>
>> Fred N0AZZ
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Oct 14, 2015, at 4:49 PM, Charlie T, K3ICH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd give that another big  "Hmmmm".
>>>
>>> A 21 century FT-736  the size of a K3...???
>>>
>>> 144, 222, 432 & maybe 1296 optional.  Where do I
>>> sign?
>>>
>>> It would certainly be more convenient than a bunch
>>> of transverters.
>>>
>>> I don't think it would have to run much power to
>>> be useful since anyone serious is gonna have some
>>> big amps anyway.
>>>
>>> In the effort of compactness, maybe 5 to 10 watts
>>> tri-band + a couple watts on 1296 as a field
>>> installable option.
>>>
>>> 73, Charlie k3ICH

Edward R Cole
Obviously most of you never built something and had to add up the cost!

Getting 50-100w multi-mode, multi-band into a KX3 sized package for
under $500 - dreamers!
It cost nearly that just for the linear amp.  I suppose you want the
KX3 with 50w amp for the same cost.
Not going to happen.  Well maybe if its made by wooosengmoo in China
(hope I didn't do a swear word).

You get what you pay for - if you are lucky!

A 144/222/432/902/1296 dual-conversion SDR with 10w output would be a
novel idea.  Direct IQ I/F via USB3.  Make the bands modular slide in
cards with separate ANT connectors on the pcb.  Make any two bands
full duplex so it usable for satellite work. ALL VFO-PLL
locked.  Cost $2000-2500 and you will have a parade of folks lining
up for one.  Maybe shoe-horn it into a box 50% of the volume of a K3s
with same control area.

Add on amplifiers for more power from many sources so no need to
reinvent that wheel.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Guys - Thanks for all the new ideas regarding a VHF/UHF radio :-)

Let's let the thread and for now in the interest of keeping list volume under
control.

73

Eric
Moderator etc.
/elecraft.com/

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

NH7RO
 I really like the idea of an "Elecraft 736R" deluxe version that would cover all the bands from 6M, 2M, 135cm, 70cm to 903 and 1296mHz without the complications of outboard transverters, and sequencers.  Imagine!

"Introducing the satellite-capable Elecraft KV/U3S;  MSRP $2595 kit/$2950 factory-built" (realistically, we must make this a totally worthwhile business venture for Wayne and Eric in order to gain their attention first and foremost).

Put it in a proper (K3S) size enclosure, give it all-mode capabilities and decent power---at least 10 watts on the highest bands.

While this idea may not seem worthwhile or feasible at first; just imagine the commotion it would make in the amateur radio market.   Such a revolutionary rig would totally re-invigorate an otherwise dormant segment of amateur radio and give new Technician class hams a great rig with many bands to experiment with and enjoy.   All of these VHF and above bands are not so affected by the sunspot cycle so many could enjoy another realm of DXing, contesting, rag-chewing as well as emergency communications if the need arose at any time.

I got my ticket in 1996 just so I could chase DX on 6M.  I had so much fun and success on 6 (and 144, 222, 432 and 1296 later on) that it wasn't until 2010 that I upgraded my ticket so as to enjoy HF as well.

With the K3S Elecraft has now taken HF rigs about as far up the refinement ladder towards perfection as is possible; now it is time to advance the state-of-the-art in the VHF-UHF and microwave arena and get things rolling there again.

If you build a freeway in the middle of nowhere it won't be long before it fills up with traffic;  thus I bet dollars to doughnuts that a KV/U3S rig would sell like virtual hotcakes and its presence would stimulate a return to the extra short waves in no time at all.

I propose that Elecraft put a poll on their website where we could be counted as potential purchasers for such a rig.  I'm sure there's a lot of us diehard VHFers that would hock our grandmothers to purchase one if it ever came to reality!

Hope this idea takes root in Aptos.

Optimistically,

Jeff,   NH7RO

Re: New Product Idea - 2 Meter

Fred Smith-2
I agree 100% with you and would be a buyer, but Eric closed this thread.
Fred N0AZZ

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Cathrow <[hidden email]> Date: 10/15/2015  11:43 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: Elecraft Digest <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] New Product Idea - 2 Meter
[...]

Numbers and a plug for VHF+

Jessie Oberreuter-2

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Jim Lowman wrote:

> At the Elecraft presentation that Eric did at Pacificon last year, I threw
> out this exact idea for his consideration.
>
> Eric was receptive to the concept, but said he didn't think that there would
> be a large enough market for such a transceiver.  He's also the business guy
> with Elecraft, so I have to believe what he said.

      The data supports this conclusion.  At our annual Pacific Northwest
VHF Society meeting this past weekend, I was surprised to learn just how
small the population of VHF+ weak-signal operators is.  One ARRL rep noted
that, from the logs, the 60 or so people in the room represented 15% of
the national VHF+ weak-signal community.  There are 1042 logs in last
year's June VHF contest (the most popular of the three); the August UHF
Contest submitted log count, meanwhile, has been hovering around 160 logs
for the past several years, and anyone with 2m/70cm HT has enough
equipment to participate.

      Shortly after getting my license, I moved to Seattle and lived in a
series of single-room apartments.  I didn't think I could really do radio
from such places until I discovered both HF QRP and the local weak signal
VHF community. There is a lot of operating fun to be had on the VHF bands,
but it generally takes a local community to make it work.  All I ever
heard was dead air until I stumbled one night into a casual round table on
144.220, and the rest was history.

      Here in the PNW, we have several weekly nets
(http://pnwvhfs.org/nets.html) and a community of operators who are
regularly on for the various sprints and contests.  We also have an active
email reflector with sprint, contest, and SOTA announcements.  This is a
vital part of what makes VHF+ work in the PNW.  Yes, the gear is
important, but a certain amount of human infrastructure and activity is
also needed.

      If any of you have regular local rag chews on repeaters or even on
HF, you might want to consider migrating to 2m SSB.  Similarly, 6m makes a
nice place for local cw practice nets -- it's a great way to get the
experience of HF operating without the need for large antennas, and when
the band opens up, your members will be in for a thrill!

-kb7psg