New k2 ghostlight mod!

John Cooper
My k2 already had the five keycap leds for xit rit split, zerobeat, transmit, audio filter and Recieve antenna.  Now I've gone and added some leds to the inside of the front panel. Alpena lights I got from Autozone.  It lets you see where the buttons are in the dark.  Its a totally useless mod but the effect is neat.  I sourced power from underneath the rf board where you plug in the battery or amp depending on what you have.  They come on when you turn on power supply before you turn on radio.  The instructions say they draw .08 amps, I have not confirmed this. I have 2 youtube videos one is a picture slideshow and the other is a short video.  My youtube name is A390652.  The videos are titled k2backlit in action and k2 backlight details.

WT5Y

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

Re: New k2 ghostlight mod!

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
Cute. Reminds of some of the custom cars we see around here. Kustom K2
-- could be a trend.

On 5/26/2014 6:48 PM, John Cooper wrote:
> My k2 already had the five keycap leds for xit rit split, zerobeat, transmit, audio filter and Recieve antenna.  Now I've gone and added some leds to the inside of the front panel. Alpena lights I got from Autozone.  It lets you see where the buttons are in the dark.  Its a totally useless mod but the effect is neat.  I sourced power from underneath the rf board where you plug in the battery or amp depending on what you have.  They come on when you turn on power supply before you turn on radio.  The instructions say they draw .08 amps, I have not confirmed this. I have 2 youtube videos one is a picture slideshow and the other is a short video.  My youtube name is A390652.  The videos are titled k2backlit in action and k2 backlight details.
>
> WT5Y

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: New k2 ghostlight mod!

KU4AF
Hmm, George Barris as an Elecraft consultant? I'm thinking Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Mojo...

John, KU4AF
Pittsboro, NC

<quote author="Vic Rosenthal K2VCO">
Cute. Reminds of some of the custom cars we see around here. Kustom K2
-- could be a trend.

Re: New k2 ghostlight mod!

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
Cool looks, I like that!
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: New k2 ghostlight mod!

KC6CNN
Easy to find your way around in the dark. Thanks for sharing that.
73's Gerald - KC6CNN

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: New k2 ghostlight mod!

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
Here are the YouTube links to the ghostlight mod of John, WT5Y:

- K2 Backlight in Action
- K2 Backlight Details