OCFs

Doug Ellmore Sr.
I saw some discussions on OCFS.  I thought I would share my setup.

I worked 160+ countries with a Buckmaster 8 band OCF QRP.   K3NDM and N3HU
have observed its operation with my former ICOM 703, K3 and KX3.

I think Buckmaster uses a 6:1 balun.  I have my feedpoint at the peak of my
house about 34'  fed with 60' LMR400.  The feedline drops down the roof 45
deg then perpindicular to the ground.  It is connected to a static arrestor
before being fed back up to the 2nd floor shack.  The long leg is supported
by a 14' 4x4 support north of my house but far enough away with a rope the
the end is 18-20' above the ground.  The short leg is supported by a tree
up ~20' up SSE of the house.

I used the internal tuner to tweak swr, but have also used the kx3  &
SB-200 to get 200 watts with no tuner with no problems.

Check the specs on the Buckmaster, it might help those trying the OCF setup.

A north to south orientation seems to help me work good dx from Maryland.

73,

Doug, NA1DX

Re: OCFs

Barry K3NDM
Doug,
     Nice write up.
Other Readers,
     I'd like to make a comment about the antenna as I know more than
just a little about the things. An off center fed, OCF, dipole is not a
magic antenna as some hams have come to believe. They are just a good
wire antenna that is fed in a way to make them appear to have a 50 Ohm
impedance. They are based on the 1/2 wave dipole which only has a
workable impedance at 1/2 wave. At even multiples of a 1/2 wave, the
antenna exhibits a high impendance which most radios do not like. So,
way back in radio history a smart guy said if I don't feed the dipole in
the center I can find a spot that looks like 300 Ohms and use a
transformer to make it look like 50 Ohms over several bands. When he
invented that antenna, the only odd band was 15 meters. What that meant
was that if you created an 80 meter OCF dipole, you could use it on 40,
20, and 10 meters, without a tuner.

     The basic 1/2 wave dipole antenna can be awesome if hung up at some
reasonable height. When fed in the center it is going to have a very
high SWR, which means you need to be careful of transmission line loss
and have some way to deal with the SWR. Open wire feeders handle the
loss issue and a very good tuner does the rest. Or you go to the OCF
dipole and use a 6:1 CURRENT balun or balun and line isolator.

     When a dipole is operated at multiples of a 1/2 wave you can
actually develops gain in the plane of the antenna. How much gain and
lobe direction is a function of how many 1/2 waves the antenna is.

     Those of you who want a good basic antenna and don't want to spent
a lot and can get it up about 30-35 feet or higher go for the OCF
dipole. I think you'll be happy. I have one up in my yard at about 40'
on one end and about 35 on the other( it has to do with the slope of the
land) and, as Doug, I work out everywhere. There are several sources for
the basic OCF antenna and a source for a variant that I run. However,
building one is a snap. Just go to Home Depot and buy 135' of #12
stranded insolated house wire ( color is unimportant ) have it cut such
that the cut is about a 1/3 of the way off an end. Pick up some
insulators at a hamfest and order either a 4:1 or 6:1 CURRENT balun.
feed the beast with some low loss or reasonable loss cable, and then sit
back and have fun. I would expect DXCC in 30 days, band conditions being
good.

     Some final comments. I use #12 insulated, stranded wire just for
the extra strength. I don't want to be puting up a new antenna every
time we have high winds or ice. You could use #14 which most use, but
like I said I don't want to have to re-install my antenna. You will need
an antenna tuner, but that is OK as you will now be able to use the
antenna on all bands 80-10. Lastly, if you don't have 135' feed of
horizontal space you could bend the ends down to fit if it represents a
minor portion of the antenna Or you could build a 40 meter version using
66' of wire and just not work 80 effectively; I can actually get mine to
tune on 80, but it isn't great.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 1/11/2014 12:34 PM, Doug Ellmore Sr. wrote:

> I saw some discussions on OCFS.  I thought I would share my setup.
>
> I worked 160+ countries with a Buckmaster 8 band OCF QRP.   K3NDM and N3HU
> have observed its operation with my former ICOM 703, K3 and KX3.
>
> I think Buckmaster uses a 6:1 balun.  I have my feedpoint at the peak of my
> house about 34'  fed with 60' LMR400.  The feedline drops down the roof 45
> deg then perpindicular to the ground.  It is connected to a static arrestor
> before being fed back up to the 2nd floor shack.  The long leg is supported
> by a 14' 4x4 support north of my house but far enough away with a rope the
> the end is 18-20' above the ground.  The short leg is supported by a tree
> up ~20' up SSE of the house.
>
> I used the internal tuner to tweak swr, but have also used the kx3  &
> SB-200 to get 200 watts with no tuner with no problems.
>
> Check the specs on the Buckmaster, it might help those trying the OCF setup.
>
> A north to south orientation seems to help me work good dx from Maryland.
>
> 73,
>
> Doug, NA1DX

Re: OCFs

Millerhill
I also use the 7 band Buckmaster OCF antenna. My config is the long leg is East/West and 80' on one end and about 50 on the other (also sloping property). The short leg is at a right angle and is about 50' on one end and probably 30 on the other. It's fed with about 30' of coax.

It's a fantastic antenna and I can work coast to coast QRP. It also works DX nicely and I've worked Antarctica, NZ, etc. I think I'm up to 185 countries now QRP.

Steve
W1SFR
Kx3helper.com

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>> have observed its operation with my former ICOM 703, K3 and KX3.
>>
>> I think Buckmaster uses a 6:1 balun.  I have my feedpoint at the peak of my
>> house about 34'  fed with 60' LMR400.  The feedline drops down the roof 45
>> deg then perpindicular to the ground.  It is connected to a static arrestor
>> before being fed back up to the 2nd floor shack.  The long leg is supported
>> by a 14' 4x4 support north of my house but far enough away with a rope the
>> the end is 18-20' above the ground.  The short leg is supported by a tree
>> up ~20' up SSE of the house.
>>
>> I used the internal tuner to tweak swr, but have also used the kx3  &
>> SB-200 to get 200 watts with no tuner with no problems.
>>
>> Check the specs on the Buckmaster, it might help those trying the OCF setup.
>>
>> A north to south orientation seems to help me work good dx from Maryland.

Re: OCFs

Ethan Miller K8GU
All,

I don't think anybody was questioning the fact that the OCF dipole
"works."  If you haven't read it, I encourage you to borrow or buy a
copy of the book Array of Light by Tom Schiller, N6BT, and read the
chapter "Everything Works."  The point of the essay is that you can
make QSOs (even DX QSOs from W6) with a 100-watt lightbulb "antenna"
at the end of a piece of coax.  Compared to that, the OCF will
certainly allow you to work stations, especially when conditions are
good!

However, the OCF dipole is in a class of antennas commonly used by
amateurs that is known to invite problems (e.g., RF in the shack,
common mode noise, and so forth) that are easily mitigated by using a
different type of antenna and feed arrangement.  That does not mean
that people in urban areas with relatively high noise floors or those
who run low power might not be perfectly happy with them.  It's all
about the design goals you have for your station.  If someone notices
that they've been experiencing one of the symptoms of imbalance listed
above, it's only natural to suggest that the antenna might be the
culprit.  That is all.

I should probably go play some more in the NAQP while my toddler is
still asleep...

73,

--Ethan, K8GU/3.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Stephen Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> have observed its operation with my former ICOM 703, K3 and KX3.
>>>
>>> I think Buckmaster uses a 6:1 balun.  I have my feedpoint at the peak of my
>>> house about 34'  fed with 60' LMR400.  The feedline drops down the roof 45
>>> deg then perpindicular to the ground.  It is connected to a static arrestor
>>> before being fed back up to the 2nd floor shack.  The long leg is supported
>>> by a 14' 4x4 support north of my house but far enough away with a rope the
>>> the end is 18-20' above the ground.  The short leg is supported by a tree
>>> up ~20' up SSE of the house.
>>>
>>> I used the internal tuner to tweak swr, but have also used the kx3  &
>>> SB-200 to get 200 watts with no tuner with no problems.
>>>
>>> Check the specs on the Buckmaster, it might help those trying the OCF setup.
>>>
>>> A north to south orientation seems to help me work good dx from Maryland.

http://www.k8gu.com/
Repair.  Re-use.  Re-purpose.  Recycle.

Re: OCFs

Barry K3NDM
Ethan,
     I can't agree with your last paragraph. The usual problem with RF
in the shack is traceable to a couple of factors. First, your shack is
right there under your antenna and the RF in the shack is direct
radiation from the antenna. However, that is not the problem in most cases.

     In most cases, RF in the shack can be traced to having RF on the
outside of the shield when using coax or an unbalance in the current on
open wire feeders. Usually the problem is manifest in the case of coax.
The really good news is that there are easy fixes for the problem. The
fix is to use a proper balun or line isolator. A proper balun is one the
prevents currents from flowing on the outside of the coax shield. I dare
say that most inexpensive baluns are of the voltage type. What that
means is, if the SWR gets too high or the input terminals don't see
equal but opposite currents, current WILL flow on the outside of the
shield; there are several books on this subject. A Windom or OCF dipole
will not present equal and opposite current to the balun input. The fix
is to use a balun type that will minimize current flow on the outside of
the shield, and that is a CURRENT balun.

     The other thing you can do is to install a line isolator. This is a
device that is called a choke or 1:1 balun. It is nothing more than a
bunch of magnetic material, ferrite or powdered iron, on a section of
the coax below the feed point and balun, if used. Coiled up coax works
also, about 10 or so turns about 6 or so inches in diameter. Taking
these steps should make a dramatic improvement to the conditions you
reflect.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 1/11/2014 3:02 PM, Ethan Miller K8GU wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>     Some final comments. I use #12 insulated, stranded wire just for the extra strength. I don't want to be puting up a new antenna every time we have high winds or ice. You could use #14 which most use, but like I said I don't want to have to re-install my antenna. You will need an antenna tuner, but that is OK as you will now be able to use the antenna on all bands 80-10. Lastly, if you don't have 135' feed of horizontal space you could bend the ends down to fit if it represents a minor portion of the antenna Or you could build a 40 meter version using 66' of wire and just not work 80 effectively; I can actually get mine to tune on 80, but it isn't great.

>>> Barry
>>> K3NDM

Re: OCFs

Dave-5
Did this get through?  I can't see a copy on the reflector delivered here...

Re: OCFs

Bruce Beford-2
> Did this get through?  I can't see a copy on the reflector delivered
here...

> Sorry, it looks like, in transfering the files from one program on one PC
> via another on another PC, the files got corrupted.
>
> Hopefully the ones attached to this message will work...

No, it didn't get through. probably because this list does not support
attached files...
Bruce, N1RX

Re: OCFs

Dave-5
No, I'm still having problems witth my local WiFi network, sorry.

:-(

Dave (G0DJA)