OT: Beware

Richard Fjeld
A couple days ago, someone sent a post saying his email got hacked and
apologized for any spam we may get.

I don't know if the two events are related, but I am now getting phony
emails supposedly from my email provider asking me to verify my account
by giving account name and password.

Beware!

Dick, n0ce

Re: OT: Beware

Don Wilhelm-4
Dick,

I get those things occasionally, and I put them directly into my junk
mail folder and forward them to the phishing email for my ISP provider.
Although they look real, careful inspection shows that they are not from
the ISP provider.  My ISP would never ask for an account number and
password to be sent via email.

Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

On 9/3/2013 11:24 PM, Richard Fjeld wrote:
> A couple days ago, someone sent a post saying his email got hacked and
> apologized for any spam we may get.
>
> I don't know if the two events are related, but I am now getting phony
> emails supposedly from my email provider asking me to verify my
> account by giving account name and password.
>
> Beware!

Re: OT: Beware

k6dgw
While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US
west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a
fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His
pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're
getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer
now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at
which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.

While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it
might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this
and to hang up immediately.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

Richard Kendrick
That might be a fun call for me because I have a Mac.

On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>
> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
>> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

Tim Herrick
It is not just west coast. Have been getting them for months here in Ohio.

73,
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
Charter Member North Coast Contesters
[hidden email]

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

That might be a fun call for me because I have a Mac.

On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call
from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows
support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's
all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.

> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family
members of this and to hang up immediately.

> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account
>> for your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: OT: Beware

Phillip Lontz
It's about registry errors... We all have them...
then they try to sell you a package to remove them...
Don't bite.

A wise man once said nothing....

On Sep 4, 2013, at 10:30 AM, KQ8M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is not just west coast. Have been getting them for months here in Ohio.
>
> 73,
> Tim Herrick, KQ8M
> Charter Member North Coast Contesters
> [hidden email]
>
> AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
> User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

ok1rr
Use Linux!

73,
Martin, OK1RR

Dne 4.9.2013 18:03, Fred Jensen napsal(a):

> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US
> west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a
> fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His
> pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're
> getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer
> now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at
> which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>
> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it
> might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this
> and to hang up immediately.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
>> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

Buddy Brannan
Actually, he doesn’t claim to be from Microsoft exactly, but the unwary could get that impressions he claims to be from “Windows support”. I had one of these a year or so ago.

Here’s a recording of someone winding up one of these fellas:

http://buddy.brannan.name/hacker.mp3

Sorry. I forget where I originally found this, likely on audio boo or something, but this isn’t me, of course.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:03 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>
> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
>> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

Fred Smith-2
I had 2 really good days with Linux the day I downloaded it and the day I
reformatted the hard drive it was on. All the really good ham apps are
Windows Apps and you don't have to screw with the OS all the time like
Linux. Just my opinion.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Dne 4.9.2013 18:03, Fred Jensen napsal(a):

> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US
> west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a
> fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His
> pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're
> getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your
> computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ...
> blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>
> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it
> might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of
> this and to hang up immediately.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account
>> for your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: OT: Beware

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
End of OT thread in the interest of reducing the list noise level.

73,

Eric
List moderator
elecraft.com
_..._

On Sep 4, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Buddy Brannan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, he doesn’t claim to be from Microsoft exactly, but the unwary could get that impressions he claims to be from “Windows support”. I had one of these a year or so ago.
>
> Here’s a recording of someone winding up one of these fellas:
>
> http://buddy.brannan.name/hacker.mp3
>
> Sorry. I forget where I originally found this, likely on audio boo or something, but this isn’t me, of course.
> --
> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
> Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY
>

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:03 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>>
>> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Fred K6DGW
>> - Northern California Contest Club
>> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
>> - www.cqp.org
>>
>> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
>>> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

Bob K6UJ
I have a Mac also.  Looking forward to them calling me  :-)

Bob
K6UJ

On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Richard Kendrick wrote:

> That might be a fun call for me because I have a Mac.
>

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>>
>> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Fred K6DGW
>> - Northern California Contest Club
>> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
>> - www.cqp.org
>>
>> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
>>> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

Jim Bennett
We are also a "Mac family" here (iMac's, MacBooks, etc.) - those idiots called me a few weeks ago. I can't put in writing what I told that guy, but I'd be willing to bet there were some words he's never heard before. I don't think they'll be call me back any time soon!

On   Wednesday, Sep 4, 2013, at  Wednesday, 12:33 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:

> I have a Mac also.  Looking forward to them calling me  :-)
>
> Bob
> K6UJ
>

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:05 AM, Richard Kendrick wrote:
>
>> That might be a fun call for me because I have a Mac.
>>

>> On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>>>
>>> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Fred K6DGW
>>> - Northern California Contest Club
>>> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
>>> - www.cqp.org

Re: OT: Beware

Buddy Brannan
Yeah, so does the guy on the recording i sent. Really, it’s pretty funny how much the guy winds these scammers up.
--

On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Richard Kendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That might be a fun call for me because I have a Mac.
>

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While OT, still important.  There is a new scam, prevalent on the US west coast but might be elsewhere.  You receive a phone call from a fast-talking dude who obliquely purports to be from Microsoft.  His pitch goes something like, "blah blah this is windows support, we're getting error messages from your computer.  Can you get to your computer now ... blah ... we can solve it ... it's all very secure ... blah," at which point I hung up.  Have now had 3 more of them.
>>
>> While there's probably no one on this list who would fall for this, it might be wise to advise less-technically inclined family members of this and to hang up immediately.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Fred K6DGW
>> - Northern California Contest Club
>> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
>> - www.cqp.org
>>
>> On 9/3/2013 9:08 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>>> Be safe and be aware, call the phone number on your billing account for
>>> your ISP before sending email to any requests like that.

Re: OT: Beware

ok1rr
Fred,

~90% of the "really good ham apps" initially written for Windoze runs in
Linux, sometimes much faster than in its native environment. The only
problem is to know HOW...

This list isn't a good place to advocate Linux (or any other OS),
however there is a general rule:
1. Try
2. If does not work, ask
3. If nobody knows, it does not mean that this app definitely can't work...
I want to remind that the OS is an environment only!

In my experience, it is worth to investigate the internal mechanics, it
is also good chance to learn something new. No bad surprises in the future!

BTW you don't need to install Linux or any app, reformatting the HD is
totally waste of your time. All what you need can be done without
installation, just boot from a CD/DVD or memory stick and you are on!

Just my $0.02...

73,
Martin, OK1RR
K3 #7554
KPA500 #1565
KAT500 #849
P3 #2752

Dne 4.9.2013 19:39, Fred Smith napsal(a):

> I had 2 really good days with Linux the day I downloaded it and the day I
> reformatted the hard drive it was on. All the really good ham apps are
> Windows Apps and you don't have to screw with the OS all the time like
> Linux. Just my opinion.
>

> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ
> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

M0XDF
Been happening in the UK for some time (> 1 year), they tried this with my wife last week, when I got on the line they dropped the line - however, the didn't withhold the number!
73 de David, M0XDF
--
Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the
same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice