OT: Crimping small wires

Edward R Cole
A little off topic:

I wonder if any of you do what I do when using wires are too small
for crimp connectors?  I strip twice as much insulation from the end
of the wire and then fold the bare wire over double.  May have to
squeeze using small nose pliers to get it doubled tight enough to fit
inside the crimp connector.  The crimps hold the undersized wire very
well with this procedure.

BTW this works for solid conductor wire, like hookup wire.  Bend the
conductor double and there is something for the crimp to hold.

I do not know if this will work with powerpole connectors.  My
problem was having too large diameter wire for the powerpole
connectors which inhibited proper crimping; solution chose proper
size connector for the wire size selected.

73, Ed - KL7UW

---------------------
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:00:11 -0500
From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
To: "Charlie T, K3ICH" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Powerpole Replacement

Charlie,

The PowerWerx crimper is good.  Just be certain to fill the cavity with
wire - for instance the 30 amp connectors are sized for #12 wire - if
the wire is smaller, it may be loose, so in addition to filling the
barrel with as many wire strands as I can, I add some solder for extra
security.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
[hidden email]
"Kits made by KL7UW"

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Paul Grigorieff-2
Yes, the "doubling over" method has worked very well for me (solderless)
with stranded wire and manual crimping.  Holds very tightly.
  -Paul, N1HEL

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Eric J
I don't usually do that because the wire exiting the APP barrel is still
just a small strand that flexes easily and can eventually break. It
gives you a lot more surface area for crimping, but needs strain relief
to be secure in the long run.

What I do is strip the wire the same length as normal, then fold it back
over the insulation. I insert the wire and insulation into the barrel
with the wire down (away from the split in the barrel), then crimp
normally. This makes a solid electrical connection with the stiffness of
the wire insulation which also provides more than adequate strain relief.

I've mentioned it here before and some are aghast, but I have maybe a
dozen connections like that currently in my shack and not one of them
has ever failed in the 10 years I've been doing it with APPs. But any
connection where this is necessary is a low voltage, low current DC
connection so what's it going to hurt? It isn't any worse electrically
than using a small wire nut which is considered safe enough even for
house wiring.

Eric
KE6US

On 12/11/2013 9:41 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:

> A little off topic:
>
> I wonder if any of you do what I do when using wires are too small for
> crimp connectors?  I strip twice as much insulation from the end of
> the wire and then fold the bare wire over double.  May have to squeeze
> using small nose pliers to get it doubled tight enough to fit inside
> the crimp connector.  The crimps hold the undersized wire very well
> with this procedure.
>
> BTW this works for solid conductor wire, like hookup wire.  Bend the
> conductor double and there is something for the crimp to hold.
>
> I do not know if this will work with powerpole connectors.  My problem
> was having too large diameter wire for the powerpole connectors which
> inhibited proper crimping; solution chose proper size connector for
> the wire size selected.
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>
> ---------------------
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:00:11 -0500
> From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
> To: "Charlie T, K3ICH" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Powerpole Replacement
>
> Charlie,
>
> The PowerWerx crimper is good.  Just be certain to fill the cavity with
> wire - for instance the 30 amp connectors are sized for #12 wire - if
> the wire is smaller, it may be loose, so in addition to filling the
> barrel with as many wire strands as I can, I add some solder for extra
> security.

> 73, Ed - KL7UW
> http://www.kl7uw.com
> [hidden email]
> "Kits made by KL7UW"

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Best is to size the terminal to the wire correctly, but your method
works just fine if you only need a pair and the terminal is too big.

I'm somewhat bewildered by all the APP problems being brought up.  I
have the Powerwerx crimper, I've probably put together over 50 pairs of
APP's and I've never had a problem.  Not one.  I've never had them
disengage by themselves, and I've never had the wire pull out.  The
crimper does an identical crimp every time.

I do *not* solder the terminal for the same reason one doesn't want to
put strain on soldered connections like on a dipole antenna.  The heat
will harden the copper making it more likely to break under strain.
More of a problem with solid wire than stranded.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

On 12/11/2013 9:41 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:

> I do not know if this will work with powerpole connectors.  My problem
> was having too large diameter wire for the powerpole connectors which
> inhibited proper crimping; solution chose proper size connector for the
> wire size selected.

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Nr4c
Crimping the wire over the insulation doesn't seem too good to me.

I have used a dab of hot melt glue to stabilize the wire at the rear of the PP Plastic.

...bill nr4c

EricJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I don't usually do that because the wire exiting the APP barrel is still
>just a small strand that flexes easily and can eventually break. It
>gives you a lot more surface area for crimping, but needs strain relief
>to be secure in the long run.
>
>What I do is strip the wire the same length as normal, then fold it back
>over the insulation. I insert the wire and insulation into the barrel
>with the wire down (away from the split in the barrel), then crimp
>normally. This makes a solid electrical connection with the stiffness of
>the wire insulation which also provides more than adequate strain relief.
>
>I've mentioned it here before and some are aghast, but I have maybe a
>dozen connections like that currently in my shack and not one of them
>has ever failed in the 10 years I've been doing it with APPs. But any
>connection where this is necessary is a low voltage, low current DC
>connection so what's it going to hurt? It isn't any worse electrically
>than using a small wire nut which is considered safe enough even for
>house wiring.
>
>Eric
>KE6US
>

>On 12/11/2013 9:41 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:
>> A little off topic:
>>
>> I wonder if any of you do what I do when using wires are too small for
>> crimp connectors?  I strip twice as much insulation from the end of
>> the wire and then fold the bare wire over double.  May have to squeeze
>> using small nose pliers to get it doubled tight enough to fit inside
>> the crimp connector.  The crimps hold the undersized wire very well
>> with this procedure.
>>
>> BTW this works for solid conductor wire, like hookup wire.  Bend the
>> conductor double and there is something for the crimp to hold.
>>
>> I do not know if this will work with powerpole connectors.  My problem
>> was having too large diameter wire for the powerpole connectors which
>> inhibited proper crimping; solution chose proper size connector for
>> the wire size selected.
>>
>> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>>
>> ---------------------
>> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:00:11 -0500
>> From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
>> To: "Charlie T, K3ICH" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Powerpole Replacement
>>
>> Charlie,
>>
>> The PowerWerx crimper is good.  Just be certain to fill the cavity with
>> wire - for instance the 30 amp connectors are sized for #12 wire - if
>> the wire is smaller, it may be loose, so in addition to filling the
>> barrel with as many wire strands as I can, I add some solder for extra
>> security.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>

>> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>> http://www.kl7uw.com
>> [hidden email]
>> "Kits made by KL7UW"

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Phil Kane-2
On 12/11/2013 3:48 PM, bill conkling wrote:

> Crimping the wire over the insulation doesn't seem too good to me.

I've been doing that for years.  All of the peripherals that run with my
K2 (RigBlaster, PSKmeter, etc) have their connectors so made.  Haven't
had any problems as long as one does not overstress the small diameter
wire by pulling on it too hard after it is installed into the connector.
 IOW handle the connector while making the joint.
----
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Harlan Sherriff
I run a calibration lab. We use go-no go gauges to test crimpers. The allowed tolerance for the gauges are three-ten thousands of an inch... yes good crimpers are an accurate instrument... and they should only be used with lugs/wire sizes specified for them

Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I agree. The point of a good crimper is to get a controlled force on the joint to create a reliable mechanical-electrical joint. Putting something springy in there, like insulation, is asking for trouble.
>
>wunder
>K6WRU
>
>On Dec 11, 2013, at 3:48 PM, bill conkling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Crimping the wire over the insulation doesn't seem too good to me.
>>
>> I have used a dab of hot melt glue to stabilize the wire at the rear of the PP Plastic.
>>
>> ...bill nr4c
>>
>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
>>
>> EricJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't usually do that because the wire exiting the APP barrel is still
>>> just a small strand that flexes easily and can eventually break. It
>>> gives you a lot more surface area for crimping, but needs strain relief
>>> to be secure in the long run.
>>>
>>> What I do is strip the wire the same length as normal, then fold it back
>>> over the insulation. I insert the wire and insulation into the barrel
>>> with the wire down (away from the split in the barrel), then crimp
>>> normally. This makes a solid electrical connection with the stiffness of
>>> the wire insulation which also provides more than adequate strain relief.
>>>
>>> I've mentioned it here before and some are aghast, but I have maybe a
>>> dozen connections like that currently in my shack and not one of them
>>> has ever failed in the 10 years I've been doing it with APPs. But any
>>> connection where this is necessary is a low voltage, low current DC
>>> connection so what's it going to hurt? It isn't any worse electrically
>>> than using a small wire nut which is considered safe enough even for
>>> house wiring.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>> KE6US

>--
>Walter Underwood
>[hidden email]

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Phil Hystad-3
My wife claims that ham radio operators only talk about boring subjects like "Antennas" when they are on the air.  I had to show her this latest stream on crimpers to prove to her that life in ham radio is not only an adrenaline rush but informative too.

On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Harlan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run a calibration lab. We use go-no go gauges to test crimpers. The allowed tolerance for the gauges are three-ten thousands of an inch... yes good crimpers are an accurate instrument... and they should only be used with lugs/wire sizes specified for them

> Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree. The point of a good crimper is to get a controlled force on the joint to create a reliable mechanical-electrical joint. Putting something springy in there, like insulation, is asking for trouble.
>>
>> wunder
>> K6WRU
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 3:48 PM, bill conkling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Crimping the wire over the insulation doesn't seem too good to me.
>>>
>>> I have used a dab of hot melt glue to stabilize the wire at the rear of the PP Plastic.
>>>
>>> ...bill nr4c
>>>
>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

>> --
>> Walter Underwood
>> [hidden email]

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Bill K9YEQ
Phil,
Don't forget tuners, amps, and power supplies.  Oh, let me not forget:
spectrum analyzers, ad infinitum.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

My wife claims that ham radio operators only talk about boring subjects like
"Antennas" when they are on the air.  I had to show her this latest stream
on crimpers to prove to her that life in ham radio is not only an adrenaline
rush but informative too.

On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Harlan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run a calibration lab. We use go-no go gauges to test crimpers. The
> allowed tolerance for the gauges are three-ten thousands of an inch...
> yes good crimpers are an accurate instrument... and they should only
> be used with lugs/wire sizes specified for them

> Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree. The point of a good crimper is to get a controlled force on the
joint to create a reliable mechanical-electrical joint. Putting something
springy in there, like insulation, is asking for trouble.

>> wunder
>> K6WRU
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 3:48 PM, bill conkling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Crimping the wire over the insulation doesn't seem too good to me.
>>>
>>> I have used a dab of hot melt glue to stabilize the wire at the rear of
the PP Plastic.

>>> ...bill nr4c
>>>
>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

strain relief.

>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>
>> --
>> Walter Underwood
>> [hidden email]

>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Bob-270
Hi Harlan,

                 Maybe if you could test and report on a few of the crimpers
sold in the ham market that would be informative. Especially on coax crimpers.
The good crimper frames show up on EBay for $75 to $100.   New the dies are over
$100 per coax type.  I like Kings.

                 Possibily an article for one of the Ham magazines.

                  But even with the good commercial crimpers I'm firmly in the
anti PowerPole camp.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 12/11/2013 8:20 PM, Harlan wrote:

> I run a calibration lab. We use go-no go gauges to test crimpers. The allowed tolerance for the gauges are three-ten thousands of an inch... yes good crimpers are an accurate instrument... and they should only be used with lugs/wire sizes specified for them

> Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree. The point of a good crimper is to get a controlled force on the joint to create a reliable mechanical-electrical joint. Putting something springy in there, like insulation, is asking for trouble.
>>
>> wunder
>> K6WRU
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 3:48 PM, bill conkling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Crimping the wire over the insulation doesn't seem too good to me.
>>>
>>> I have used a dab of hot melt glue to stabilize the wire at the rear of the PP Plastic.
>>>
>>> ...bill nr4c
>>>
>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

>> --
>> Walter Underwood
>> [hidden email]

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Deni F5VJC
It's true !
Very good Phil...fascinating discussion.

 73, F5VJC a Crimper

On 12 December 2013 02:39, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My wife claims that ham radio operators only talk about boring subjects
> like "Antennas" when they are on the air.  I had to show her this latest
> stream on crimpers to prove to her that life in ham radio is not only an
> adrenaline rush but informative too.
>

> On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Harlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I run a calibration lab. We use go-no go gauges to test crimpers. The
> allowed tolerance for the gauges are three-ten thousands of an inch... yes
> good crimpers are an accurate instrument... and they should only be used
> with lugs/wire sizes specified for them
> >
> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
> >
> > Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree. The point of a good crimper is to get a controlled force on
> the joint to create a reliable mechanical-electrical joint. Putting
> something springy in there, like insulation, is asking for trouble.
> >>
> >> wunder
> >> K6WRU

> of the PP Plastic.

> still
> relief

> back
> of
> relief.

> for
> squeeze

> problem

> with
> extra

> >> --
> >> Walter Underwood
> >> [hidden email]

> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: OT: Crimping small wires

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
And we've once again beaten this topic into submission :-)

Let's end this thread at this time to reduce list email overload for others.

Also, when replying to threads, please ALWAYS delete most of the long copied thread of previous postings from your reply.

Eric
List Modulator
elecraft.com
_..._