OT - FCC Seeks "Noise Floor"

David Ahrendts
From the commercial side of broadcasting, but can’t we relate:  http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/eh-fcc-seeks-noise-floor/278840 <http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/eh-fcc-seeks-noise-floor/278840>
Maybe someone knows if the ARRL is commenting on behalf of the amateur radio community.

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

David Ahrendts   [hidden email]

Re: OT - FCC Seeks "Noise Floor"

NK7Z
On Tue, 2016-06-21 at 09:11 -0700, David Ahrendts wrote:
> From the commercial side of broadcasting, but can’t we relate:  http:/
> /www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/eh-fcc-seeks-noise-floor/278840
> <http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/eh-fcc-seeks-noise-
> floor/278840>
> Maybe someone knows if the ARRL is commenting on behalf of the amateur
> radio community.
>
> David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

I believe the ARRL is involved in this.  Ed, or Mike might speak up...

--

73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)

Re: OT - FCC Seeks "Noise Floor"

Barry K3NDM
David,
     This is interesting. But, how does it relate to the regulations
already on the books having to do with incidental radiation? That's the
regulation set that controls conducted and radiated noise from
powerlines, TV, computers, etc.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

>Maybe someone knows if the ARRL is commenting on behalf of the amateur
>radio community.
>
>David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles
>

>David Ahrendts [hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: OT - FCC Seeks "Noise Floor"

Bill-3
And the FCC will enforce anything?

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: OT - FCC Seeks "Noise Floor"

Well actually, not quite.  Incidental radiators are the noisemakers such
a power lines arcing.  They radiate RF but have no need to.  They also
do it across broad frequency ranges over several tens of MHz.

Unintentional radiators are computers, wall warts and SMPS, plasma TV's,
and the like.  They generate RF internally for their operation, but do
not intend to radiate it.  Alas, thanks to James Maxwell, they do.

Intentional radiators are those unlicensed devices that must radiate RF
to function ... WiFi, Bluetooth, cell phones, etc.  They tend to be
confined to certain bands [usually ISM bands like 2.4 GHz].  Many are
spread-spectrum types of signals, and in a narrow receive BW just raise
the noise floor a bit.

Some intentional radiators are in other than ISM bands.  443.93 MHz,
familiar to most hams, is full of beeps, squawks, and other very short
bursts.  They're remote reading thermometers, and other sensors.  Some
RFID equipment operates on that and a few other frequencies which can be
a problem for hams near ports, large rail yards, and intermodal yards.
Pacific Gas and Electric remote-reading meters are said to be around 500
MHz in a mesh network of some sort.

The TAC in the original link points out that quantitative data on the
noise floor is sparse at best and very hard to obtain and analyze since
it depends on so many factors in an almost infinite number of locations.

As to FCC enforcement or the lack of it, in the 50's the Commission was
very active in enforcement ... especially if it affected commercial
communications.  Today, the FCC is very much more a "Coordinator of
Communications" than an enforcement agency.

I've concluded that, "It is what it is," and there aren't many ways to
quantify noise floor for a finite amount of investment dollars.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016