OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Edward R Cole
Since we all use the Internet this may be of interest:

I bought a new Dell desktop on cyber-monday to be used for general
purpose Internet browsing, e-mail, and maintaining my
website.  Figured the i5-6400 processor a good trade-off of speed vs
cost and got 8GB memory and 1TB HD.  I intend to keep using my 2008
Dell duo-core with XP32-SP3 for running all radio sw but unplugged
from the Internet to isolate it from attack by maleware/virus and the
OS would not require updates.  Installing a GPS dongle with
BktTimeSync (Z2BKT) makes this possible.

So the new computer arrived overnight and I began loading my
Internet-based programs and most files from the old computer.  But
starting Friday the e-mail began having trouble connecting for
download or uploading and Internet came to a screeching halt
(almost).  I did some driver updates hoping maybe that was part of
the problem.  But my other computers and my wife's laptop and Ipad
also experienced the same problems?

A couple calls to the ISP discovered a mistake in a setup entry on my
e-mail client but Internet still not able to find websites like
msn.com, google or any site I entered.  I ran a speed test and it
looked OK for my DSL 3.2MBs  for 3.5MBs service and 0.9MBs
uploading?  So one more call to the ISP and the gal who answered from
Tech-help said it looked like we had a bad or shorted cable to our
DSL Modem.  She asked how long was the cable between phone jack and modem?

Well we have moved things over the years so some cables ended up kind
of long (we had 25-foot of RJ11 phone wired wrapped up with a tiewrap
where a couple feet would suffice.  I do not even recall it being so
long but replacing it with a short 6-foot RJ11 jumper cured the slow
Internet/e-mail issues.  Modem is connected with ethernet jumper to
router with two cat5e cables running to two separate rooms in the
house where my computers and my wife's computer are located.

I'm not a computer wonk; RF is my area of strength, so I figured the
phone and Internet was kinda like audio stuff.  Guess not.  My guess
with the cable folded into a bundle it had a lot of crosstalk or
capacitive coupling which acted like a short at 3.5 MBs.

Hope this long story helps anyone who has puzzled why they're
Internet acts constipated (of course there may be other issues that
can cause these problems).

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Edward R Cole
Ron,

Usually my rule, too.

I was astonished to find that huge bundled cord, but this is in my
wife's hobby room which is her domain.  We had changed location of
the DSL modem and router along the way and I suppose that was an
expedient to keep the system connected.  Janet is predisposed to
rearranging furniture a couple times per year in her area (ham shack
is hands-off territory; I even give her clearance when she can vacuum floors).

So, originally, I had the modem/router in the ham shack, then it
moved to her room where she had her computer station, then last
spring she relocated the computer across the hall to our master
bedroom to make room for a folding couch-bed for visitors in the hobby room.

I have a four-port switch (not a router) in the ham shack for routing
to computers (two active at present with shielded ethernet cables and
third cable to use with laptop on occasion).  Have more USB cables in
use: four for new computer and seven on old computer.

When we build the new ham shack next summer, all the wall warts will
be eliminated with power sourced from main 12v PS via individual
regulators.  Only concern is whether 50-foot will be too long for
connecting to the router at the other end of the house.  I will not
use wireless.  Old ham shack will be restored to spare bedroom/den (I
have closet converted to library).

2017 will be a busy year for us!

73, Ed - KL7UW
-------------------
From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]>
To: "'Edward R Cole'" <[hidden email]>,    "'Elecraft Reflector'"
         <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Fixing Slow Internet

That's a good warning, Ed.

Even at DSL data rates, you are dealing with data signals in the radio
frequency range.

My rule for unshielded cables is "short and sweet is neat".

That's a good warning, Ed.

Even at DSL data rates, you are dealing with data signals in the radio
frequency range.

My rule for unshielded cables is "short and sweet is neat".

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Jim Brown-10
On Wed,12/7/2016 6:15 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
> I will not use wireless.

Why not? I use nothing but, and it's plenty fast enough for us to stream
video. There is noise associated with wired Ethernet. While choking the
Ethernet cable can knock it down, not always completely.

As to telephone cable -- CAT5 and other structured cable is excellent
for use in telephone wiring, and has far better bandwidth than almost
anything else that could be used. Certainly better than standard Telco
pairs. The fact that it's very good twisted pair also helps it resist RF
and noise coupling.

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

GaryK9GS
I used to use a wired network.  Then I took a lightning hit that came in
to the hamshack.  It destroyed the hamshack computer and two other
computers on a different floor and several rooms away. They were all
connected to the wired router which also got zapped.

The wired router was connected to a cable modem by a 18" Ethernet
cable.  The modem got zapped too.  The RG-6 coming out of the cable
modem exits the house and travels at least 150 ft underground to a
two-port amplifier near the street that serves my house and my
neighbor's house.  My side of the amplifier also got zapped but,
strangely, my neighbor's was fine.  Also connected the the wired router
was a wireless access point that was used for laptops/phones/tablets.
The access point was also fried.

Now the whole house is wireless with zero problems.

On 12/7/2016 8:32 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Wed,12/7/2016 6:15 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
>> I will not use wireless.
>
> Why not? I use nothing but, and it's plenty fast enough for us to
> stream video. There is noise associated with wired Ethernet. While
> choking the Ethernet cable can knock it down, not always completely.
>
> As to telephone cable -- CAT5 and other structured cable is excellent
> for use in telephone wiring, and has far better bandwidth than almost
> anything else that could be used. Certainly better than standard Telco
> pairs. The fact that it's very good twisted pair also helps it resist
> RF and noise coupling.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Jim Pandzik
No problem with a 50 foot run. Theoretic limit is over 300 feet, but
signals get wobbly at about 275 feet.
Jim Pandzik - KE9PK
   and CCNA, A+, Network+, etc.

On 12/7/2016 8:15 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Usually my rule, too.
>
> I was astonished to find that huge bundled cord, but this is in my
> wife's hobby room which is her domain.  We had changed location of the
> DSL modem and router along the way and I suppose that was an expedient
> to keep the system connected.  Janet is predisposed to rearranging
> furniture a couple times per year in her area (ham shack is hands-off
> territory; I even give her clearance when she can vacuum floors).
>
> So, originally, I had the modem/router in the ham shack, then it moved
> to her room where she had her computer station, then last spring she
> relocated the computer across the hall to our master bedroom to make
> room for a folding couch-bed for visitors in the hobby room.
>
> I have a four-port switch (not a router) in the ham shack for routing
> to computers (two active at present with shielded ethernet cables and
> third cable to use with laptop on occasion).  Have more USB cables in
> use: four for new computer and seven on old computer.
>
> When we build the new ham shack next summer, all the wall warts will
> be eliminated with power sourced from main 12v PS via individual
> regulators.  Only concern is whether 50-foot will be too long for
> connecting to the router at the other end of the house.  I will not
> use wireless.  Old ham shack will be restored to spare bedroom/den (I
> have closet converted to library).
>
> 2017 will be a busy year for us!
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
> -------------------
> From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]>
> To: "'Edward R Cole'" <[hidden email]>,    "'Elecraft Reflector'"
>         <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Fixing Slow Internet
>
> That's a good warning, Ed.
>
> Even at DSL data rates, you are dealing with data signals in the radio
> frequency range.
>
> My rule for unshielded cables is "short and sweet is neat".

> That's a good warning, Ed.
>
> Even at DSL data rates, you are dealing with data signals in the radio
> frequency range.
>
> My rule for unshielded cables is "short and sweet is neat".
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>   http://www.kl7uw.com
> Dubus-NA Business mail:
>   [hidden email]

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Raymond Sills
Indeed… why not use wireless?  Turns out, my wireless connection (compared to wired ethernet) is -faster-!   And, when I’m at my 4-land QTH, my only internet service is via an Xfinity hot spot, which I can purchase by the hour, day, week, or month, as needed.  The only aspect about that service is that it is enabled on a single device, so we use my wife’s laptop whilst there.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Dec 7, 2016, at 9:32 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed,12/7/2016 6:15 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
>> I will not use wireless.
>
> Why not? I use nothing but, and it's plenty fast enough for us to stream video. There is noise associated with wired Ethernet. While choking the Ethernet cable can knock it down, not always completely.
>
> As to telephone cable -- CAT5 and other structured cable is excellent for use in telephone wiring, and has far better bandwidth than almost anything else that could be used. Certainly better than standard Telco pairs. The fact that it's very good twisted pair also helps it resist RF and noise coupling.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Ed,

I am also on DSL and have wired Ethernet throughout the house.
Due to the long run to my house and the length of phone line in the
house (entry to security system then back to the DSL modem - over 100
feet) the DSL/phone splitters did not work well, so the phone company
installed a splitter at their outside box and brought a dedicate DSL
line to the location of the modem.  That solved a LOT of problems.
So yes, a short line to the DSL modem is important.
The other situation I have is that the drop to my house from the nearest
relay box is about 4000 feet.  It does not seem to have much effect on
the DSL, but does sometimes my HDTV performance (which is provided by
the same phone company).

So a short cable to the DSL modem is important - it matters little what
you have on the modem output.

I do have an access point to provide wireless for laptops and
smartphones and tablets, but the output of the modem, routers, switches
is not really important IMHO, but the input to a DSL modem is important
to consider.

On 12/7/2016 9:15 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Usually my rule, too.
>
> I was astonished to find that huge bundled cord, but this is in my
> wife's hobby room which is her domain.  We had changed location of the
> DSL modem and router along the way and I suppose that was an expedient
> to keep the system connected.  Janet is predisposed to rearranging
> furniture a couple times per year in her area (ham shack is hands-off
> territory; I even give her clearance when she can vacuum floors).

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Edward R Cole
Jim,

OK that is reassuring.  I will probably run it via cat5e cable and
install my own RJ45 connectors so it can be custom length (and
probably cheaper).  My guess it will be better on crosstalk than
commercially made ethernet cables.

Answer to those who question my adversion to wireless:  My guess you
do not do ham radio on the same frequency band as wi-fi runs.  I do
and its seems crazy to intentionally broadcast RFI on my ham
band.   I operate up to 10-GHz.

Regarding lightning strikes, we do not even hear thunder more often
then once every four to five years.  Earthquakes and volcano
eruptions are more frequent.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Michael Walker
Professionally, we have move client boxes off wireless unless required.

In some large residential installations, we have stopped (or limited)
deploying 2.4Ghz and focussing on 5Ghz wifi.  The reliability factor went
through the roof in a good way.  Most devices available today are dual
band.  Essentially, get off 2.4Ghz wifi and making sure you are only using
5Ghz.  And, without getting into details it has absolutely nothing to do
with signal strength.

We have also deployed a lot of Powerline devices to extend coverage where
there is no CAT5.  I have had great success with the TP-Link devices (both
for PowerLine and Wifi).

My partner and I have done months of work improving home and commercial
internet coverage as in just about every address we get into, they are
about 20% efficient, mostly less.

If you want to test your house performance, take a laptop and plug right
into the modem with a cable (no wifi).  Get an idea of the performance.

If the rest of your house network doesn't perform as well, then you have a
problem.

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:37 AM, Edward R Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> OK that is reassuring.  I will probably run it via cat5e cable and install
> my own RJ45 connectors so it can be custom length (and probably cheaper).
> My guess it will be better on crosstalk than commercially made ethernet
> cables.
>
> Answer to those who question my adversion to wireless:  My guess you do
> not do ham radio on the same frequency band as wi-fi runs.  I do and its
> seems crazy to intentionally broadcast RFI on my ham band.   I operate up
> to 10-GHz.
>
> Regarding lightning strikes, we do not even hear thunder more often then
> once every four to five years.  Earthquakes and volcano eruptions are more
> frequent.
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>

> From: James Pandzik <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Fixing Slow Internet
>
> No problem with a 50 foot run. Theoretic limit is over 300 feet, but
> signals get wobbly at about 275 feet.
> Jim Pandzik - KE9PK
>    and CCNA, A+, Network+, etc.
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>   http://www.kl7uw.com
> Dubus-NA Business mail:
>   [hidden email]

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Jim Pandzik
If you are running CAT5 data cable you should be okay. It allows 1/2
inch of untwisted wires at connectors, jacks, etc. with no crosstalk.
When I got my ETA CAT5/6 Installer certification, my instructor advised
buying ready-made custom lengths of CAT6, as the 1/4 inch untwisted
tolerance is really really hard to maintain. Also, remember to stay away
from fluorescent tubes by at least a foot (or cross at right angles if
you must), and avoid motors by at least 18 inches. Also... have fun.
There's nothing more satisfying than wiring up your own network, firing
it up, and having it WORK!

73, Jim - KE9PK

On 12/9/2016 1:37 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:

> Jim,
>
> OK that is reassuring.  I will probably run it via cat5e cable and
> install my own RJ45 connectors so it can be custom length (and
> probably cheaper).  My guess it will be better on crosstalk than
> commercially made ethernet cables.
>
> Answer to those who question my adversion to wireless:  My guess you
> do not do ham radio on the same frequency band as wi-fi runs. I do and
> its seems crazy to intentionally broadcast RFI on my ham band.   I
> operate up to 10-GHz.
>
> Regarding lightning strikes, we do not even hear thunder more often
> then once every four to five years.  Earthquakes and volcano eruptions
> are more frequent.
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>

> From: James Pandzik <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Fixing Slow Internet
>
> No problem with a 50 foot run. Theoretic limit is over 300 feet, but
> signals get wobbly at about 275 feet.
> Jim Pandzik - KE9PK
>    and CCNA, A+, Network+, etc.
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>   http://www.kl7uw.com
> Dubus-NA Business mail:
>   [hidden email]

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

On Thu,12/8/2016 11:37 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
> Jim,
>
> OK that is reassuring.  I will probably run it via cat5e cable and
> install my own RJ45 connectors so it can be custom length (and
> probably cheaper).  My guess it will be better on crosstalk than
> commercially made ethernet cables.

CAT5 and other structured cables are great for this purpose BECAUSE they
consist of four high quality twisted pairs. To minimize crosstalk
between those pairs, each pair is twisted at a different rate (turns per
inch).  When using these cables to carry signals, it is absolutely
critical that we use one of these pairs to carry our signal (and
multiple pairs to carry multiple signals).

> Answer to those who question my adversion to wireless:  My guess you
> do not do ham radio on the same frequency band as wi-fi runs. I do and
> its seems crazy to intentionally broadcast RFI on my ham band.   I
> operate up to 10-GHz.

In any given system, WiFi transmits on only one of many standard carrier
frequencies, and it doesn't run much power. I don't work 2.4 GHz, but
I'll bet that like other ham bands, our use for CW, SSB, and other DXing
modes is limited to a narrow range of the band, just as it is on 440
MHz.  I wouldn't give up on that system simply because it's in the same
band unless the WiFi gear is dirty. Have you observed that it is?  If
so, that is, indeed, a good reason to avoid it.

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Rick WA6NHC-2
Currently blessed with reasonable internet speeds running between 80-110
MBps download (even across wifi), I have a mix of wired and wireless via
a dual band 4 port router (and a couple hubs).  I've found that it helps
to put the 'critical' devices (iOS, Android, laptops) on the 5 GHz band
and the rest on the 2.4 GHz band (including a repeater so I don't have
to run 100' of wiring around the house).  The wider channels on 5 GHz
are faster and with fewer devices there, they flow nicely.  The other
(more than 20 but not all active at once) devices can slug it out on 2.4
but none seem to complain, even video streaming plays well.

Merry Christmas,
Rick wa6nhc

On 12/9/2016 2:16 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> With so many areas getting faster internet service, it's common to find old
> wireless routers that don't keep up. That's not a problem if one understands
> what is happening.
>
> Here, my workstation is direct wired to the router, but we run wireless to
> connect to portable devices in the house. I just peeked at the download
> rates and see that I have 66 mb/s at the direct-wired machine but 25 mb/s on
> my iPhone even though nothing else is using part of the bandwidth.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
One problem with wifi that is sometimes hidden is QRM from other wifi users on the same channel. I live in a big apartment building and when I look at the display of a "wifi analyzer" app on my phone, the 2.4 gHz band looks like 20 meters during the CQWW contest. 5 Gig is better because fewer people seem to be using it and the signals are attenuated more by walls, etc.

Vic 4X6GP

> On 10 Dec 2016, at 00:16, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> With so many areas getting faster internet service, it's common to find old
> wireless routers that don't keep up. That's not a problem if one understands
> what is happening.
>
> Here, my workstation is direct wired to the router, but we run wireless to
> connect to portable devices in the house. I just peeked at the download
> rates and see that I have 66 mb/s at the direct-wired machine but 25 mb/s on
> my iPhone even though nothing else is using part of the bandwidth.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Richard Fjeld-2
FWIW, I had an interesting, but frustrating, experience just recently.  My internet would get so slow that we would need to quit streaming during part of a movie, etc.  At times, it would speed test at 0.02 Mbits.  Another odd thing was, using an Ethernet cable was slower than Wifi at times. I was power cycling often.

I'll keep this short.  I purchased DSL modems and routers of a respected brand name.  I checked settings several times. I have a former IT guy for a friend.  I finally called my IP provider and they saw that it was slow.  When he got here, he saw my 10 Mbit service at 3 megs.  He changed the wiring and installed a splitter isolating my phones from my modem.  Still slow, so he changed the modem and now have 10 megs.  (I live rural)
I was blown away.

I still had trouble steaming video to my TV using an Octacore Android box.  Did some testing and determined it had a fault using a cable.  I turned off Ethernet and enabled wifi and all is beautiful.  I can speed test thru the box at about 9+ Mbits.  What should have been better was worse.

Dick, n0ce

On 12/10/2016 12:02 AM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

One problem with wifi that is sometimes hidden is QRM from other wifi users on the same channel. I live in a big apartment building and when I look at the display of a "wifi analyzer" app on my phone, the 2.4 gHz band looks like 20 meters during the CQWW contest. 5 Gig is better because fewer people seem to be using it and the signals are attenuated more by walls, etc.

Vic 4X6GP

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

I was able to make a very significant improvement in WiFi speed by
selecting a channel instead of letting the AT&T Uverse router do it.
Apparently, everyone around us is in "let the router do it" mode, and
they are concentrated in the middle of the spectrum [3, 4, 5, 6, and 7].
  Last time I checked, ours and our printer were the only devices on 11.
  Channel 1 is also almost clear.  It's spread spectrum and the channels
do overlap, but 10 is also nearly clear for us.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 7-8 Oct 2017
- www.cqp.org

On 12/9/2016 10:02 PM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
> One problem with wifi that is sometimes hidden is QRM from other wifi
> users on the same channel. I live in a big apartment building and
> when I look at the display of a "wifi analyzer" app on my phone, the
> 2.4 gHz band looks like 20 meters during the CQWW contest. 5 Gig is
> better because fewer people seem to be using it and the signals are
> attenuated more by walls, etc.
>
> Vic 4X6GP

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Brendon Whateley
Ed,

It may be worth remembering that CAT5e cable is rated to handle signals of
up to 100MHz. As you move from 10Mb to 100Mb to 1Gb ethernet and beyond,
the demands on the cable increase. For 1000Base-T (1Gb) CAT5 is not
recommended, you are better off with CAT5e. Beyond that, you need CAT6 or
even better CAT6a.

And if you look at the "instalation caviats", they will be familiar to
anyone who has built coax cables...

> Installation caveats
>
> Category 6 and 6A cable must be properly installed and terminated to meet
> specifications. The cable must not be kinked or bent too tightly (the bend
> radius should be at least four times the outer diameter of the cable). The
> wire pairs must not be untwisted and the outer jacket must not be stripped
> back more than 0.5 in (12.7 mm).
>
> Cable shielding may be required in order to improve a Cat 6 cable's
> performance in high electromagnetic interference (EMI) environments. This
> shielding reduces the corrupting effect of EMI on the cable's data.
> Shielding is typically maintained from one cable end to the other using a
> drain wire that runs through the cable alongside the twisted pairs. The
> shield's electrical connection to the chassis on each end is made through
> the jacks. The requirement for ground connections at both cable ends
> creates the possibility that a ground loop may result if one of the
> networked chassis is at different instantaneous electrical potential with
> respect to its mate. This undesirable situation may compel currents to flow
> between chassis through the network cable shield, and these currents may in
> turn induce detrimental noise in the signal being carried by the cable.

It seems that any HAM running ethernet to the shack, especially if they
have stray RF floating around, would have more luck with CAT6a which
shields the twisted pairs.

- Brendon
KK6AYI

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Edward R Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not a computer wonk; RF is my area of strength, so I figured the phone
> and Internet was kinda like audio stuff.  Guess not.  My guess with the
> cable folded into a bundle it had a lot of crosstalk or capacitive coupling
> which acted like a short at 3.5 MBs.
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
>   http://www.kl7uw.com
> Dubus-NA Business mail:
>   [hidden email]

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Bob Nielsen-4
Channels 1 through 8 are in a ham band so you could legally run much
higher power than non-licensed devices are allowed.

On 12/10/16 8:22 AM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> I was able to make a very significant improvement in WiFi speed by
> selecting a channel instead of letting the AT&T Uverse router do it.
> Apparently, everyone around us is in "let the router do it" mode, and
> they are concentrated in the middle of the spectrum [3, 4, 5, 6, and
> 7].  Last time I checked, ours and our printer were the only devices
> on 11.  Channel 1 is also almost clear.  It's spread spectrum and the
> channels do overlap, but 10 is also nearly clear for us.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Sparks NV DM09dn
>
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the Cal QSO Party 7-8 Oct 2017
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 12/9/2016 10:02 PM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
>> One problem with wifi that is sometimes hidden is QRM from other wifi
>> users on the same channel. I live in a big apartment building and
>> when I look at the display of a "wifi analyzer" app on my phone, the
>> 2.4 gHz band looks like 20 meters during the CQWW contest. 5 Gig is
>> better because fewer people seem to be using it and the signals are
>> attenuated more by walls, etc.
>>
>> Vic 4X6GP

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Of course, you can't do anything "commercial" while running higher
power, like streaming video.

If you're using a remote that you pay for, using your QRO WiFi to access
it through the internet might be "commercial."

On 12/10/2016 10:07 AM, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> Channels 1 through 8 are in a ham band so you could legally run much
> higher power than non-licensed devices are allowed.

Re: OT: Fixing Slow Internet

John Pitz
Don't forget that you will have to send your call sign every 10 minutes,
and at the start and end of your QSO with your router.

On Sat, 2016-12-10 at 10:13 -0800, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:

> Of course, you can't do anything "commercial" while running higher
> power, like streaming video.
>
> If you're using a remote that you pay for, using your QRO WiFi to access
> it through the internet might be "commercial."
>
> On 12/10/2016 10:07 AM, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > Channels 1 through 8 are in a ham band so you could legally run much
> > higher power than non-licensed devices are allowed.

Re: K3 signal at 28004

HankP
Ok I give up - I always have a strong signal about 28004 on my K3 and it was there this morning just like always and most all day - now its GONE and the rx seems like its still working normally -107 dBm on the P3 for the 1 uv in . TX ok too. Just no 28004 ??? What is the magic ?? Hank K7HP