[OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

[OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Joel Black-2
I am looking for a stereo headphone splitter - with a caveat…

I need a 3.5 mm (F) to Y 3.5 mm (M) with each connector on the “Y” male. Each male plug needs TRS.

I have ordered something from Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> advertised as just that and it turned out that it was a Y adapter for mic / headphone. Problem is, mic is just TR. I need TRS on each male connector.

I realize I may have to resort to making something, but it would be easier to just buy something like that.

Have any of you seen anything like what I’m describing? I’m coming up empty.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

Re: [OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I suggest a trip to R S, buy the connectors and make your own. Although
our R S is 20 miles each way, at least I know what I have and it is
exactly as I need.  And while at R S, buy several male and female
connectors of different configurations.   That way if I need something
different the parts are in the parts bin.    Don't bother with their
"already made up" stuff.  You won't have a clue what's in the molded
connectors.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 11/7/2015 7:52 AM, Joel Black wrote:
> I am looking for a stereo headphone splitter - with a caveat…
>
> I need a 3.5 mm (F) to Y 3.5 mm (M) with each connector on the “Y” male. Each male plug needs TRS.
>
> I have ordered something from Amazon.com<http://amazon.com/>  advertised as just that and it turned out that it was a Y adapter for mic / headphone. Problem is, mic is just TR. I need TRS on each male connector.
>
> I realize I may have to resort to making something, but it would be easier to just buy something like that.

Re: [OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Fred Townsend-2
Joel:
I'm not sure from your description exactly what your application is and whether you need gain. For many years I have been using an amplified "one to three splitter". It is stereo with a male input and three female outputs. The circuit appears to be six emitter followers, two for each output, so there is isolation with power gain but no voltage gain. It is powered by two AA cells that seem to last forever but I only use the splitter when using the K3 and have a guest in the shack and we are putting on the cans to keep other members of the household happy. I understand you wanted male outputs but that is easily converted by plugging in male to male cables.
I got the first one from the manufacturer and latter picked up 3 more when RS was closing them out. I have since seen them advertised by other online sellers. Would this solve your problem?
73
Fred, AE6QL

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

On Sat,11/7/2015 6:00 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> I suggest a trip to R S, buy the connectors and make your own.
> Although our R S is 20 miles each way, at least I know what I have and
> it is exactly as I need.  And while at R S, buy several male and
> female connectors of different configurations.

I also suggest making your own, but NOT with Radio Shack connectors. The
good stuff is made by Switchcraft and Neutrik, and can be bought from
vendors like Full Compass (Madison, WI) and Sweetwater (Ft Wayne, In).
You can find part numbers on one of the later slides in my Power,
Grounding, and Audio tutorial. k9yc.com/publish.htm

One of the tricky parts of making Y-cables is finding cable that's small
enough to fit into connectors, yet rugged enough to withstand flexing,
and connectors into which the cables can be fit. Switchcraft have the
greatest diameter for cable entry and the most space inside the
connector shell.

Re: [OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Oh I do agree.  I just don't happen to have access to any electronic
supply house that is closer than 100 miles.    That's 5 hours  or 3 or 4
days waiting on USPS for a darn connector.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 11/7/2015 11:20 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> I also suggest making your own, but NOT with Radio Shack connectors.
> The good stuff is made by Switchcraft and Neutrik, and can be bought
> from vendors like Full Compass (Madison, WI) and Sweetwater (Ft Wayne,
> In). You can find part numbers on one of the later slides in my Power,
> Grounding, and Audio tutorial. k9yc.com/publish.htm

Re: [OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I agree.  I just completed making a couple of "pig tails" that exit from
the MIC connector on the mike cable, radio end,  and they end up with a
light touch momentary switch that serves as my PTT switch, hand held.
Also use the same cable for my "stomp to talk" switch on the floor.
I've also used the RG-74  cable for the EXT Speaker output from the
radio to the two speakers sitting beside the radio. Sure makes the AFX
function sound great.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 11/7/2015 11:57 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> I find RG-74 coax excellent for that purpose. Well shielded and inexpensive,
> especially in a 50-ft spool that will probably last you a lifetime!

Re: [OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Joel Black-2
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The reason for wanting them is so I only have to use one set of headphones and CW key between my K3 and KX3. I guess I’m just lazy - I could just disconnect and re-connect depending on what rig I want to use. :)

Thanks again.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

> On Nov 7, 2015, at 7:52 AM, Joel Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am looking for a stereo headphone splitter - with a caveat…
>
> I need a 3.5 mm (F) to Y 3.5 mm (M) with each connector on the “Y” male. Each male plug needs TRS.
>
> I have ordered something from Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> advertised as just that and it turned out that it was a Y adapter for mic / headphone. Problem is, mic is just TR. I need TRS on each male connector.
>
> I realize I may have to resort to making something, but it would be easier to just buy something like that.
>
> Have any of you seen anything like what I’m describing? I’m coming up empty.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

Re: [OT] Headphone Splitter - Not The Kind You May Be Thinking

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Ah, not  a good idea at all.  In using a "hard wire" type of Y cable,
for your application, you will end up connecting the audio output of the
K3 to the audio output of the KX3 through the Y cable.    I doubt that
one radio will like driving the output stage of another radio and could
damage one or both radios.

You will need some form of isolation system or amplification.   I
suggest a small inexpensive mixing amplifier for the job.  For my
application I use a Behringer UB 802.   The line level or aux output
from each radio connects to a separate input of the mixer.  The
headphones connect to the internal mixer headphone amp.  I can then
control the level from each radio to the headphones and the headphone
overall level.

As to using a Y cable to connect one CW key to two radios, you will be
likely keying both radios at the same time, unless you take steps to
have one radio off and one radio on.  Again, a Y connector is not the
correct way to handle this method.

Better is to use a box that will switch the output of each radio to the
headphones making sure that only one radio at a time can be selected.
This also applies the the CW key.    Someone recently suggested using a
two port printer switch, the one which has the 25 pin connectors on the
rear.  These are also known as an A/B switch. Even  then you will have a
good bit of wiring to accomplish.

Lazy is not the proper term.  Doing it correct is the proper method and
a Y connector isn't it.

73
Bob, K4TAX