OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Ken G Kopp
Likely of interest to many of us.

www.heathkit.com
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

David Gilbert

Hardly.

$100 for a clock?  $150 for a tuned RF AM receiver?  Those prices are
high by an order of magnitude, and that's being generous.



On 8/8/2016 9:03 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
> Likely of interest to many of us.
>
> www.heathkit.com

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Barry Baines
In reply to this post by Ken G Kopp
Ken:

My GC-1005 that I built as a teenager in 1973 as my first Heathkit experience is still serving as my bedside clock having served continuously for over 43 years. That said, I could use another clock or two for other applications.  Looks like a fun kit to build!

While the pricing as a ‘clock’ maybe high, the “intrinsic value” (nostalgia and fun of building) probably makes it worthwhile to me.

Thanks for the heads up.

73,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Westborough, MA


> On Aug 8, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Ken G Kopp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Likely of interest to many of us.
>
> www.heathkit.com
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Eric J
In reply to this post by Ken G Kopp
Given that we've heard "Heathkit has risen" [BentonHarbor 28:6]  monthly
for the last 40 years, I'd want to hear from someone who actually
ordered and received something before I sent any money. I''m not
implying anything dishonest at all, but vaporware is vaporware.

In the mean time, I wish them all the luck in the world. My first rig
was a DX-35 for my 15th birthday. It was sad to see them fall on hard times.

Eric KE6US

ex-KN1DCK


On 8/8/2016 9:03 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> Likely of interest to many of us.
>
> www.heathkit.com
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

John Pitz
Unfortunately Heathkit seems to be stuck in some sort of Lazarus loop.  

I just hope that a Chinese company isn't using such a venerable name to
give credibility to sell more poorly made electronic goods.



On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 10:59 -0700, EricJ wrote:

> Given that we've heard "Heathkit has risen" [BentonHarbor 28:6]  monthly
> for the last 40 years, I'd want to hear from someone who actually
> ordered and received something before I sent any money. I''m not
> implying anything dishonest at all, but vaporware is vaporware.
>
> In the mean time, I wish them all the luck in the world. My first rig
> was a DX-35 for my 15th birthday. It was sad to see them fall on hard times.
>
> Eric KE6US
>
> ex-KN1DCK
>
>
> On 8/8/2016 9:03 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
> > Likely of interest to many of us.
> >
> > www.heathkit.com
> > ______________________________________________________________
> > Elecraft mailing list
> > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> > Message delivered to [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Bob-2
In reply to this post by David Gilbert
And it will not replace my two GC1000, "Most Accurate Clock", Heathkit's.

73,

Bob

K2TK


On 8/8/2016 1:11 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

>
> Hardly.
>
> $100 for a clock?  $150 for a tuned RF AM receiver?  Those prices are high by
> an order of magnitude, and that's being generous.
>
>
>
> On 8/8/2016 9:03 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:
>> Likely of interest to many of us.
>>
>> www.heathkit.com
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>
>


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Richard Fjeld-2
In reply to this post by John Pitz
Lazarus loop;  I love it.

Dick, n0ce


On 8/8/2016 1:12 PM, John Pitz wrote:
> Unfortunately Heathkit seems to be stuck in some sort ofLazarus loop.

--

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Mark E. Musick
In reply to this post by Eric J
It is real.
Sometime back, I think it was here on the reflector, someone had bought
their little AM radio kit and said it was a very good kit and they enjoyed
building it.
The assembly manual was up to the expected Heathkit quality.

Mark, WB9CIF

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of EricJ
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 5:59 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Given that we've heard "Heathkit has risen" [BentonHarbor 28:6]  monthly for
the last 40 years, I'd want to hear from someone who actually ordered and
received something before I sent any money. I''m not implying anything
dishonest at all, but vaporware is vaporware.

In the mean time, I wish them all the luck in the world. My first rig was a
DX-35 for my 15th birthday. It was sad to see them fall on hard times.

Eric KE6US

ex-KN1DCK


On 8/8/2016 9:03 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> Likely of interest to many of us.
>
> www.heathkit.com
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
> [hidden email]
>
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message
delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not so OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

ab2tc
In reply to this post by Richard Fjeld-2
Hi,

I share the feelings of most of the most recent posters. I have no idea who is behind the new P.O. box in Santa Cruz which according to Wikipedia was established in October 2015. I wish them luck, crossing my fingers, but not holding much hope for their success.

Now, to the OT: part. Elecraft is living proof that the demise of Heathkit didn't have to be an inevitable thing. Heathkit died, not only because technology changed but more so by serious corporate mismanagement. Once the original company was sold to Zenith, the writing was on the wall. Had entrepreneurial folks, that were probably very similar in talent to Eric and Wayne remained in control, Heathkit could have survived to this day. I am one of the old-timers who remembers the heyday of Heathkit and considers its demise nothing short of a national tragedy (yes, we built Heathkits in Norway, too).

AB2TC - Knut

PS. My spelling checker doesn't recognize "Heathkit". Sigh.

Richard Fjeld-2 wrote
Lazarus loop;  I love it.

Dick, n0ce


On 8/8/2016 1:12 PM, John Pitz wrote:
> Unfortunately Heathkit seems to be stuck in some sort ofLazarus loop.

--
<snip>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

NK7Z
In reply to this post by Mark E. Musick
On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 18:53 +0000, Mark E. Musick wrote:
> It is real. 
> Sometime back, I think it was here on the reflector, someone had
> bought their little AM radio kit and said it was a very good kit and
> they enjoyed building it.  The assembly manual was up to the expected
> Heathkit quality.
>
> Mark, WB9CIF

As much as I liked Heathkit stuff, this looks like a 4.00 dollar clock
module in a 90.00 dollar box, and a 5.00 dollar power supply.

It isn't even WWVB, or GPS locked.  Sorry to be so negative about it,
but the new Heathkit is going to have to do very much better than a
99.00 dollar clock to stay in business over the next five years.

Construction would be fun, but really-- a $99.00 non lockable digital
clock?  

I fear for the new Heathkit...

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
For software/hardware reviews see:
http://www.nk7z.net

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not so OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Michael Poteet
In reply to this post by ab2tc
I was looking online for mods to the Heath IG-18.  It looks as though a
fellow in California has taken on the Heath mantle.

Below are a couple of links, one a mod to the IG-18, the second a more
direct Heath link:

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/product/thd-improvement-kit-for-ig-18-series-
audio-generators-meter-buffer-board-only-4


http://d8apro.com/


Mike      W5FTD




> -----Original Message-----
> From: Elecraft [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> ab2tc
> Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 2:02 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Not so OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!
>
> Hi,
>
> I share the feelings of most of the most recent posters. I have no idea
> who is behind the new P.O. box in Santa Cruz which according to
> Wikipedia was established in October 2015. I wish them luck, crossing my
> fingers, but not holding much hope for their success.
>
> Now, to the OT: part. Elecraft is living proof that the demise of
> Heathkit didn't have to be an inevitable thing. Heathkit died, not only
> because technology changed but more so by serious corporate
> mismanagement. Once the original company was sold to Zenith, the writing
> was on the wall. Had entrepreneurial folks, that were probably very
> similar in talent to Eric and Wayne remained in control, Heathkit could
> have survived to this day. I am one of the old-timers who remembers the
> heyday of Heathkit and considers its demise nothing short of a national
> tragedy (yes, we built Heathkits in Norway, too).
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>
> PS. My spelling checker doesn't recognize "Heathkit". Sigh.
>
>
>


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Leroy
In reply to this post by Ken G Kopp
Was OK and fun back in the day but it is all junk now and their product line
looks pathetic.

Leroy AB7CE

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken G Kopp
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 10:03 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Elecraft] OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

Likely of interest to many of us.

www.heathkit.com

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: The Heathkit clocks are back!

w7aqk
In reply to this post by Ken G Kopp
Ken and All,

But $100?????  Not much of a bargain.  If you want to monitor local plus UTC
they suggest you buy two of them!

Dave W7AQK


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]