OT: "/XX" observations

Ken G Kopp
My situation is perhaps a bit "unique".  As a contester I view
calls in the 7th call area as a bit more "in demand" than some
others.  Being in Montana (MT) adds a bit more to the "scarce"
mix.  The same seems to be true in DX'ing.

Since I have a "zero" call. I always sign "/7" in contests, but
never in day-to-day operation.  The thinking is probably "oh,
there's a "zero" ... there are plenty of them and I'll get him
later", but a "seven" is a "better get him now, while I can".

Factor into this that in a CW contest one would never send
"Montana" as a section identifier, but instead sends "_ _  __"
(MT) which is often heard as "MO" (long dash as CW shorthand
for "O"), placing me in an incorrect section (MO) in the other
guy's log.

But this can be an "advantage" when the DX is calling by call
areas.... "de /7K0PP" or "de K0PP/7".  (:-))

Yes, it's the price I pay for not having a "seven" call for the
last 35 years, BUT with my last name would -you- change
my call? (:-)  BTW, there are 50+ "Kopp" hams out there.

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP

Re: OT: "/XX" observations

Dick Dievendorff
Ken, you do what I do:  Sign /7 when it's advantageous to do so.

I'm a K6 living permanently (since 1997) in Washington State.  I'm not
portable, I live here all the time.

I rarely sign /7. To do so would take more time and is harder to get across
in marginal conditions than my normal call. I would expect a higher error
rate with a more involved call.

I do use K6KR/7 in the California QSO party, because if I called CQ as K6KR,
I'd spend a lot of time explaining that WA is not a California county, but a
state.

Similarly I sign /7 in the 7QP and Salmon Run contests, where I'm in the
target area. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the IOTA contest, where I
will operate from the Washington State North group.

If I borrow a friend's station in California for a contest, I'm not going to
use K6KR/6 or K6KR/7/6. I'll use K6KR (or a station or club call he
prefers). Because the FCC rules permit me to do so and because it's the
easiest and quickest for me and my colleagues in the contest.

The FCC doesn't require that I sign /7, nor do most contest rules.  The FCC
permits "self assigned designators" and no longer require "portable"
designators.  If I visit Hawaii or Alaska, I'll be /KH6 or /KL7.

I lived in England where my G3 prefix was based on chronology rather than
geography, so I'm not that used to having a number imply geography.  It can
sometimes help, but not always.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: OT: "/XX" observations

Tim Hague

Re: OT: "/XX" observations

On 7/3/2013 1:00 PM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
 > The FCC doesn't require that I sign /7, nor do most contest rules.

Except the high and might Brits of BARTG <G> who think only they know
how US licensees should be permitted to operate and intend to prove
it at every opportunity.

        (who gave u a perfectly good W8 2x1 call when moving to Florida)

Re: OT: "/XX" observations

tnnyswy
>>>  I'd spend a lot of time explaining that WA is not a California county, but a
state. <<<

When did they send back all those Californian who had  moved into Washington (STATE) County???      :-D
Miracles do happens!  ;-)

((((73)))) Milverton.