P3 Function Key Ideas

Chad Wasinger
Group - looking for some thoughts/ideas on what others are using their function keys for on their P3. Currently running the K3/10, P3 with SVGA board, so far so good.
Thanks in advance.
ChadN0YK

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

Matt Zilmer
Freeze   MKRA Zero    WfallMkrs     FixTrack
  Peak   MKRB Zero       VFO B          Reset

matt W6NIA

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:25:54 -0500, you wrote:

>Group - looking for some thoughts/ideas on what others are using their function keys for on their P3. Currently running the K3/10, P3 with SVGA board, so far so good.
>Thanks in advance.
>ChadN0YK

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

K9QJS
Chad,

For me, most beneficial are different SPAN widths - I use 50, 100, and 200 regularly on SSB.   And "Freeze" and "Peak".

73,
Hoop
K9QJS

On Jun 19, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Chad Wasinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Group - looking for some thoughts/ideas on what others are using their function keys for on their P3. Currently running the K3/10, P3 with SVGA board, so far so good.
Thanks in advance.
ChadN0YK

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

k5oai

Tap buttons as follows:

FN1 Span 7
FN2 Peak
FN3 FixTrack    (centers the display)
FN4 Knob Tap    (using the knob I always moved from the MKR spot I wanted)

Hold Buttons as follows:

FN5 Span 200
FN6 Freeze
SVGA Ubmp       (takes a screen snapshot)
FN8 Knob Hold   (using the knob I always moved from the MKR spot I wanted)

ymmv

--

GB & 73
K5OAI

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

Please post what you decide.  I currently have several SPANs in some and
blank in others, just can't figure out what I want and why.

For Matt who replied:  How do you use the ones you reported?  I'm in
FIXTRACK all the time, I don't know what WFallMrkrs does but I'm going
to find out as soon as I send this [:-)], I've never used FREEZE or PEAK
except to try them out, and I KNOW I'm missing a lot of functionality.
This isn't the first place I have assignable keys and can't figure out
what to do with them. ;-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

On 6/19/2013 4:25 PM, Chad Wasinger wrote:
> Group - looking for some thoughts/ideas on what others are using their function keys for on their P3. Currently running the K3/10, P3 with SVGA board, so far so good.
> Thanks in advance.

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

Matt Zilmer
Hi Fred,

Waterfall Marker allows you to see and move the marker frequency on
the waterfall.  If you have CW or data sigs coming and going, you can
QSY to a transmission that's no longer active, as long as it is still
on the waterfall.  Handy for catching that fast but infrequent CQ.

Peak is very useful to characterize a voice signal.  Let the other
party go on long enough, and you have a pretty good idea of his or her
voice spectrum - for example to use for TX EQ recommendations.  You
can also use Peak to record the highest amplitude of a CW or data
signal (sometimes I use this for signal reports in SNR terms).

Freeze is a function that I use mostly to keep the Peak around long
enough to capture it using the P3 Utility.  It's also very handy for
keeping a copy of something odd in the spectrum.  In my case, I see
the spectra of alot of the in-fridge ice makers in the neighborhood.
There is PWM-driven heater element in these that puts out a ton of
broadband noise and each one seems to have its own signature.  So far,
I've anti-RFI'd four of them including ours.  I'm pretty sure the P3
wasn't developed for this purpose, but we use the tools we have.

We all have the same equipment but isn't it grand that we can use the
same P3 in so many different ways?  Remember the days of hard-coded
switches and hardware-limited functionality?  I do.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:14:58 -0700, you wrote:

>Please post what you decide.  I currently have several SPANs in some and
>blank in others, just can't figure out what I want and why.
>
>For Matt who replied:  How do you use the ones you reported?  I'm in
>FIXTRACK all the time, I don't know what WFallMrkrs does but I'm going
>to find out as soon as I send this [:-)], I've never used FREEZE or PEAK
>except to try them out, and I KNOW I'm missing a lot of functionality.
>This isn't the first place I have assignable keys and can't figure out
>what to do with them. ;-)
>
>73,
>
>Fred K6DGW
>- Northern California Contest Club
>- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
>- www.cqp.org
>
>On 6/19/2013 4:25 PM, Chad Wasinger wrote:
>> Group - looking for some thoughts/ideas on what others are using their function keys for on their P3. Currently running the K3/10, P3 with SVGA board, so far so good.
>> Thanks in advance.

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

Brian Hunt
Here's my current set. It's a work in progress. P3 only here, no SVGA.

Tap / Hold

FIXTRK / LVLMD
PEAK / FREEZE
VFO B / CURS
SPAN 10 / SPAN 50

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

Chad Wasinger
Great ideas all. I'm going to get mine customized this weekend and I'll post what I end up going with. These functions will make quick work when switching from a HF band to a weak signal VHF band.
Thanks

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:48:44 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3 Function Key Ideas
>
> Here's my current set. It's a work in progress. P3 only here, no SVGA.
>
> Tap / Hold
>
> FIXTRK / LVLMD
> PEAK / FREEZE
> VFO B / CURS
> SPAN 10 / SPAN 50
>
> 73,
> Brian, K0DTJ

Re: P3 Function Key Ideas

Chad Wasinger
Well, I'm still playing around with this but here it what I came up with this afternoon.

Tap / Hold

Span 2 / Span 20
Span 100 / Span 200
Peak / Freeze
Knob Tap / Water Fall Color

Thanks for all that gave me the feedback!

Chad
N0YK