P3 Showing Transmit Signal

Jim Wilson
This has been mentioned before but - if you want to consistently
see your own signal (for adjusting audio, compression, Etc.)
Here's how:

Transmit a SSB signal into - say, a dummy load -  and while in
transmit mode, do a reset on the P3. ( I have one of the function
keys set for a handy RESET.)

When the P3 comes back on, the switch signal for the P3 has
already been sent and the P3 comes up showing your own signal.

Handy!

Jim - W4RKS

Re: P3 Showing Transmit Signal

Andras ARATO
Hi Bud,

I could see this these days, but it was my signal coming back from
around the Earth when transmitting on 21 MHz. It was a good
propagation with K=1 and SFI=121. I could hear it too.

73! de HA4AA Andras

On 11/24/2015 08:55 AM, Bud Governale wrote:

> I noticed this weekend that occasionally during transmit instead of the
> scan freezing in place it would continue scanning showing only my
> transmit signal with only that signal appearing in the black waterfall.
>
> I don't have the P3TXMON. It never did this before.
>
> I was viewing the external SVGA monitor.
>
> Any idea why?
>
> 73,
>
> Bud W3LL

Re: P3 Showing Transmit Signal

Bill Frantz
We had a report at the November West Valley Amateur Radio
Association meeting of one member who experienced "echos" from
his own CW transmissions during Sweepstakes on November 7-8. He
verified by listening to another nearby station that the echo
was 1/7 second later, the time for a radio signal to go around
the world. The K3's full break in allowed him to hear himself
between the morse code units.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 11/26/15 at 10:25 PM, [hidden email] (Andras
ARATO) wrote:

>I could see this these days, but it was my signal coming back
>from around the Earth when transmitting on 21 MHz. It was a
>good propagation with K=1 and SFI=121. I could hear it too.
>
>73! de HA4AA Andras

Re: P3 Showing Transmit Signal

Jack Brindle-2
That would be from me… Amazingly, this was on 80 meters, and was heard all over the bay area up into central CA. At times the “echo” was louder than the direct signal!
There are at least two recordings from that event. Very strange, and extremely interesting. While it was ongoing, both 40 and 80 were open across NA. When it stopped,
40 collapsed to the point where the only signal heard was VY1AAA, and 80 became only local. In 40+ years of hamming, this is the first time I have experienced anything like that.
I have to say, it was also very cool to experience.

73,
Jack, W6FB

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 11:38 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We had a report at the November West Valley Amateur Radio Association meeting of one member who experienced "echos" from his own CW transmissions during Sweepstakes on November 7-8. He verified by listening to another nearby station that the echo was 1/7 second later, the time for a radio signal to go around the world. The K3's full break in allowed him to hear himself between the morse code units.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 11/26/15 at 10:25 PM, [hidden email] (Andras ARATO) wrote:
>
>> I could see this these days, but it was my signal coming back from around the Earth when transmitting on 21 MHz. It was a good propagation with K=1 and SFI=121. I could hear it too.
>>
>> 73! de HA4AA Andras

Re: P3 Showing Transmit Signal

alorona
I finished the SSCW on 40 and while in QSK noticed my own echoes. I thought that the K3's QSK or sidetone had weirded out and was confused and bummed out about it until I listened on a 2nd receiver and figured out that it was my own echoes, although I didn't believe what I was hearing. I've never, ever experienced that, much less on 40 meters. It's amazing to hear confirmation from Jack that that indeed was what it was.

Shame on me for blaming the K3... I have since made peace with it.

Al  W6LX

Long Path Echoes

On Thu,11/26/2015 7:54 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:
> That would be from me… Amazingly, this was on 80 meters, and was heard all over the bay area up into central CA. At times the “echo” was louder than the direct signal!
> There are at least two recordings from that event. Very strange, and extremely interesting. While it was ongoing, both 40 and 80 were open across NA.

Those of us with very good antennas for 80 and 40M, and especially those
with directional RX (either a beam or Beverage) are well aware of long
path openings at certain times of the day. Last winter, while CQing on
80M, I made a half dozen Qs to Ukraine split between two mornings. Post
contest analysis showed them to all to be within about 200 miles of each
other, and along the grey line. At other times, I've made long path
openings to EU in the morning.

While operating from Chicago with dipoles for 20-10, there were periods
of an hour or two during DX contests when I was hearing EU stations
equally strong via short and long paths, to the extent that they were
completely uncopyable.

Re: Long Path Echoes

Elecraft mailing list
Jim,
 I have had the same results into the Ukraine and Europe in the mornings before sunrise here at my Amador county QTH with my 160 Meter double extended Zepps that have a 80 meter lobe right at them.  The path did not last long and was very selective on stations worked, area wise.
Mel, K6KBE

On Thu,11/26/2015 7:54 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:
> That would be from me… Amazingly, this was on 80 meters, and was heard all over the bay area up into central CA. At times the “echo” was louder than the direct signal!
> There are at least two recordings from that event. Very strange, and extremely interesting. While it was ongoing, both 40 and 80 were open across NA.

Those of us with very good antennas for 80 and 40M, and especially those
with directional RX (either a beam or Beverage) are well aware of long
path openings at certain times of the day. Last winter, while CQing on
80M, I made a half dozen Qs to Ukraine split between two mornings. Post
contest analysis showed them to all to be within about 200 miles of each
other, and along the grey line. At other times, I've made long path
openings to EU in the morning.

While operating from Chicago with dipoles for 20-10, there were periods
of an hour or two during DX contests when I was hearing EU stations
equally strong via short and long paths, to the extent that they were
completely uncopyable.

Re: Long Path Echoes

N5GE
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 20:55:20 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Jim,
> I have had the same results into the Ukraine and Europe in the mornings before sunrise here at my Amador county QTH with my 160 Meter double extended Zepps that have a 80 meter lobe right at them.  The path did not last long and was very selective on stations worked, area wise.
>Mel, K6KBE

I hear the long path echo's occasionally here In Arlington, TX.  The
first time I heard one was when I had a good shack and antennae out in
the boonies near Little Axe, OK.

And, yes the TR7 / R7 combination was able to hear them in the rural
area.

ARS N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Long Path Echoes

Wes (N7WS)
For a real long path, long delayed echo consider this story I've told before:

Back in the early eighties I was still active on real (non-digital) 2-meter EME.
One morning before heading to work I was pointed toward the setting moon looking
for JA or UA0.  As I tuned around I heard a CQ.  As I listened for the call, I
heard another CQ on a slightly different frequency.  "Wow" I said to myself,
"this is amazing."  As I continued to listen, I identified W5UN on one
frequency.  I had worked Dave several times, even on SSB, so I passed on him and
tuned to the other guy.  He was also W5UN!  I was hearing Dave off the back of
the antenna on tropo (950 miles) on one frequency and off the moon with some
Doppler and a 2.5 second time delay on another frequency.

Wes  N7WS