P3 TX Mon question

W4CCS
I have two K3's and two P3's but only one has the TX Mon option.. When I
transmit with the K3 that does NOT have the TX Mon installed, the P3 that
does have it reacts showing VSWR and one sweep of the transmit envelope..
This seems very strange.. The only thing in common between the two is the
MicroHam router program..  Suggestions..??

Clyde Scott - W4CCS

Moultrie, GA - EM81cg

Re: P3 TX Mon question

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

As N1AL indicated, the TX MON goes to maximum gain at low signal
levels.  You're probably seeing inter station coupling - hopefully
at low levels.

Is the SWR very high - all "reflected"?

On 8/12/2015 9:20 AM, W4CCS wrote:

> I have two K3's and two P3's but only one has the TX Mon option.. When I
> transmit with the K3 that does NOT have the TX Mon installed, the P3 that
> does have it reacts showing VSWR and one sweep of the transmit envelope..
> This seems very strange.. The only thing in common between the two is the
> MicroHam router program..  Suggestions..??
>

> Clyde Scott - W4CCS
>
> Moultrie, GA - EM81cg

Re: P3 TX Mon question

W4CCS
Joe:

You are correct Sir.. Lower to power output from the K3#1 to below 15 watts,
and I see no reaction on K3#2 P3 TX Mon..

Don't know of a way to fix this..!! It is very annoying..

W4CCS

As N1AL indicated, the TX MON goes to maximum gain at low signal levels.
You're probably seeing inter station coupling - hopefully at low levels.

Is the SWR very high - all "reflected"?

On 8/12/2015 9:20 AM, W4CCS wrote:
> I have two K3's and two P3's but only one has the TX Mon option.. When
> I transmit with the K3 that does NOT have the TX Mon installed, the P3
> that does have it reacts showing VSWR and one sweep of the transmit
envelope..

> This seems very strange.. The only thing in common between the two is
> the MicroHam router program..  Suggestions..??
>

> Clyde Scott - W4CCS
>
> Moultrie, GA - EM81cg

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: P3 TX Mon question

W4CCS
Sorry, I did not answer your question..

Yes, the VSWR is showing high and all reflected..

CCS

As N1AL indicated, the TX MON goes to maximum gain at low signal levels.
You're probably seeing inter station coupling - hopefully at low levels.

Is the SWR very high - all "reflected"?

On 8/12/2015 9:20 AM, W4CCS wrote:
> I have two K3's and two P3's but only one has the TX Mon option.. When
> I transmit with the K3 that does NOT have the TX Mon installed, the P3
> that does have it reacts showing VSWR and one sweep of the transmit
envelope..

> This seems very strange.. The only thing in common between the two is
> the MicroHam router program..  Suggestions..??
>

> Clyde Scott - W4CCS
>
> Moultrie, GA - EM81cg

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: P3 TX Mon question

Don Wilhelm-4
Assuming you have separate antennas for each K3, my guess is that the
power is actually coming in from the non-transmit antenna.
To the directional coupler, that would indicate as a high SWR - no power
from the transmitter, but power coming from the antenna equals infinite SWR.

On 8/12/2015 10:09 AM, W4CCS wrote:

> Sorry, I did not answer your question..
>
> Yes, the VSWR is showing high and all reflected..
>
> CCS

Almost certainly "inter station coupling" particularly if the two
antennas were close together and/or the (two radio) antenna switch
lacks sufficient isolation.

On 8/12/2015 10:09 AM, W4CCS wrote:

> Sorry, I did not answer your question..
>
> Yes, the VSWR is showing high and all reflected..
>
> CCS

Re: P3 TX Mon question

W4CCS
The radio with the TX Mon is on 6 meters only. The HF antennas are about 200 feet away and about 150 feet high. That equates to around 90 feet
Above the six meter antenna.. Thought that would be adequate.

This never happens on the Power Master meter or on the LP-100.. Only the TX Mon.

W4CCS

Almost certainly "inter station coupling" particularly if the two antennas were close together and/or the (two radio) antenna switch lacks sufficient isolation.

On 8/12/2015 10:09 AM, W4CCS wrote:

> Sorry, I did not answer your question..
>
> Yes, the VSWR is showing high and all reflected..
>
> CCS

Alan Bloom
The transmit sensor in the P3 TX monitor trips at only a few tenths of a
watt (a few watts with the 2 kW coupler).  It was made sensitive so it
would work with QRP.

Alan N1AL

On 08/12/2015 08:25 AM, W4CCS wrote:

> The radio with the TX Mon is on 6 meters only. The HF antennas are about 200 feet away and about 150 feet high. That equates to around 90 feet
> Above the six meter antenna.. Thought that would be adequate.
>
> This never happens on the Power Master meter or on the LP-100.. Only the TX Mon.
>
> W4CCS

Re: P3 TX Mon question

Guy Olinger K2AV
It would appear that the display needs an option to gate the display with
the equivent of local TX asserted so it only responds to its own
transmitted signal.  An option because others might want to know that their
TX signal was coming back at them on another coax.

Or perhaps set an adjustable gating power level defaulted to one watt.

73, Guy K2AV

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The transmit sensor in the P3 TX monitor trips at only a few tenths of a
> watt (a few watts with the 2 kW coupler).  It was made sensitive so it
> would work with QRP.
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 08/12/2015 08:25 AM, W4CCS wrote:
>
>> The radio with the TX Mon is on 6 meters only. The HF antennas are about
>> 200 feet away and about 150 feet high. That equates to around 90 feet
>> Above the six meter antenna.. Thought that would be adequate.
>>
>> This never happens on the Power Master meter or on the LP-100.. Only the
>> TX Mon.
>>
>> W4CCS

Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: P3 TX Mon question

W4CCS
Guy:

I agree and hold out hope Elecraft will do something.. If the sensitivity is
set low for QRP operators, seems they would not need the 2KW sensor.

Maybe have an option in the setup.. Like I stated earlier, it is very
annoying and quite sure I'm not the only one with this concern..

W4CCS

It would appear that the display needs an option to gate the display with
the equivent of local TX asserted so it only responds to its own transmitted
signal.  An option because others might want to know that their TX signal
was coming back at them on another coax.

Or perhaps set an adjustable gating power level defaulted to one watt.

73, Guy K2AV

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The transmit sensor in the P3 TX monitor trips at only a few tenths of
> a watt (a few watts with the 2 kW coupler).  It was made sensitive so
> it would work with QRP.
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 08/12/2015 08:25 AM, W4CCS wrote:
>
>> The radio with the TX Mon is on 6 meters only. The HF antennas are
>> about
>> 200 feet away and about 150 feet high. That equates to around 90 feet
>> Above the six meter antenna.. Thought that would be adequate.
>>
>> This never happens on the Power Master meter or on the LP-100.. Only
>> the TX Mon.
>>
>> W4CCS

Alan Bloom-2
OK, what I did was change it so that, when a K3 is connected, the P3 TX
monitor will only go into transmit mode when commanded to do so by the
K3, even if RF power is present on the coax.  That should eliminate the
false tripping.

It will be in the next beta release, which should be Real Soon Now.  :=)

Alan N1AL

On 08/12/2015 01:03 PM, W4CCS wrote:

> Guy:
>
> I agree and hold out hope Elecraft will do something.. If the sensitivity is
> set low for QRP operators, seems they would not need the 2KW sensor.
>
> Maybe have an option in the setup.. Like I stated earlier, it is very
> annoying and quite sure I'm not the only one with this concern..
>
> W4CCS

Re: P3 TX Mon question

Merv Schweigert
Alan,  understand that some one will not always be happy with the way
things are,
any way to make that a menu selection?
I would like to use the P3/TXmon with other radios,  this change would
not allow that?
Seems that defeats the ability of the P3 with a TXmon to work with other
radios..
Or did I miss something?

73 Merv K9FD/KH6

> OK, what I did was change it so that, when a K3 is connected, the P3
> TX monitor will only go into transmit mode when commanded to do so by
> the K3, even if RF power is present on the coax.  That should
> eliminate the false tripping.
>
> It will be in the next beta release, which should be Real Soon Now.  :=)
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 08/12/2015 01:03 PM, W4CCS wrote:
>> Guy:
>>
>> I agree and hold out hope Elecraft will do something.. If the
>> sensitivity is
>> set low for QRP operators, seems they would not need the 2KW sensor.
>>
>> Maybe have an option in the setup.. Like I stated earlier, it is very
>> annoying and quite sure I'm not the only one with this concern..
>>
>> W4CCS

Re: P3 TX Mon question

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
Hi Merv,

I don't believe this changes the existing P3TXMON operation with non-Elecraft
radios.

Only if Alan detects that its a K3 when the P3 with P3TXMON is powered up will
he actually query the radio to see if its in TX. Otherwise it will act as it
does now and use detection of forward power to go into TX mode.

Eric
/elecraft.com/

On 8/13/2015 5:02 PM, Merv Schweigert wrote:

> Alan, understand that some one will not always be happy with the way things are,
> any way to make that a menu selection?
> I would like to use the P3/TXmon with other radios,  this change would not
> allow that?
> Seems that defeats the ability of the P3 with a TXmon to work with other radios..
> Or did I miss something?
>
> 73 Merv K9FD/KH6
>

>> OK, what I did was change it so that, when a K3 is connected, the P3 TX
>> monitor will only go into transmit mode when commanded to do so by the K3,
>> even if RF power is present on the coax.  That should eliminate the false
>> tripping.
>>
>> It will be in the next beta release, which should be Real Soon Now.  :=)
>>
>> Alan N1AL
>>

>> On 08/12/2015 01:03 PM, W4CCS wrote:
>>> Guy:
>>>
>>> I agree and hold out hope Elecraft will do something.. If the sensitivity is
>>> set low for QRP operators, seems they would not need the 2KW sensor.
>>>
>>> Maybe have an option in the setup.. Like I stated earlier, it is very
>>> annoying and quite sure I'm not the only one with this concern..
>>>
>>> W4CCS

Re: P3 TX Mon question

Merv Schweigert
Great,   thanks for the clarification,
73 Merv

> Hi Merv,
>
> I don't believe this changes the existing P3TXMON operation with
> non-Elecraft radios.
>
> Only if Alan detects that its a K3 when the P3 with P3TXMON is powered
> up will he actually query the radio to see if its in TX. Otherwise it
> will act as it does now and use detection of forward power to go into
> TX mode.
>
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/
>
> On 8/13/2015 5:02 PM, Merv Schweigert wrote:
>> Alan, understand that some one will not always be happy with the way
>> things are,
>> any way to make that a menu selection?
>> I would like to use the P3/TXmon with other radios,  this change
>> would not allow that?
>> Seems that defeats the ability of the P3 with a TXmon to work with
>> other radios..
>> Or did I miss something?
>>
>> 73 Merv K9FD/KH6
>>

>>> OK, what I did was change it so that, when a K3 is connected, the P3
>>> TX monitor will only go into transmit mode when commanded to do so
>>> by the K3, even if RF power is present on the coax.  That should
>>> eliminate the false tripping.
>>>
>>> It will be in the next beta release, which should be Real Soon Now.
>>> :=)
>>>
>>> Alan N1AL

turnbull
Alan,
    You and your fellow engineers in Elecraft are first class!  There was no
one like you when we were younger so some things surely have changed for the
better.

                   73 Doug EI2CN