P3 TX Monitor

John Lemay
I'm considering adding the TX Monitor to my P3. Can I use my own directional
coupler for UHF/SHF, or is it essential to use the Elecraft RF Sensor ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Re: P3 TX Monitor

Dave AD6A
The Elecraft directional couplers have more than just couplers in them - at
a minimum, they have forward and reverse (diode) power detectors as well,
and most likely some analog electronics.

The coupler connects to the P3 using a 4-pair twisted pair cable with RJ-45
connectors on each end.

You might be able to reverse engineer one, but a) why bother? (the Elecraft
product is priced about right), and b) you might find that no one will lend
you one to reverse engineer the coupler interface.

Cheers,
Dave AD6A

Re: P3 TX Monitor

John,

There were some changes to the coupler done for it to be used for the TX
Monitor - capacitor changes as I recall.
If you want power and SWR reading accuracy, get a new RF Sensor.  OTOH,
if your main interest is in the waveshape display only, then the W2
directional coupler may give you what you desire.

On 1/25/2017 4:01 AM, John Lemay wrote:
> I'm considering adding the TX Monitor to my P3. Can I use my own directional
> coupler for UHF/SHF, or is it essential to use the Elecraft RF Sensor ?

Re: P3 TX Monitor

John Lemay
Don and Dave

Thanks for your replies. I've found the schematic for the W2 meter and
sensor and I can see now that there's a lot more electronics in the sensor
box than I thought. So rolling my own is not an option.

To answer "why" is easy ....... I run more power on 2m and 70cms than the
sensor is rated, and would also like to include 23cms.

Thanks again

John G4ZTR