P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

hf4me
Will the SVGA add on be required for this?

I do not have it yet.

Thanks, 73, Jim KG0KP

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

At one time Wayne said the SVGA would not be required but I
have not seen further confirmation or any word of a change.

I don't have the SVGA either and hope it will not be a
requirement as the cost of SVGA plus sensor really tips the
cost/benefit equation.

On 2015-04-20 10:14 AM, Jim Miller wrote:

> Will the SVGA add on be required for this?
>
> I do not have it yet.
>

> Thanks, 73, Jim KG0KP

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Harlan Sherriff
That sounds about right comparing it to the W2. I only wish we could use the W2 sensors as I already have what I need of those.

Harlan
NC3C

Jim N7US
Sent from my iPad

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Grant Youngman

> On Apr 20, 2015, at 10:56 AM, hsherriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That sounds about right comparing it to the W2. I only wish we could use the W2 sensors as I already have what I need of those.

l guess we’ll know when we know.

My sensor string already gets me whistling “Dem Bones", including pickoffs for an LP-100A, a NYE Power Meter (because analog meters are just plain easier to read), one low power and one high power sensor for an AM modulation monitor, and a variable Bird sampler for a scope.  If the new monitor includes both peak and average PWR/SWR and signal envelope monitoring, maybe I can actually cut out one or two and reclaim a couple tenths of a dB in radiated power :-)

Grant NQ5T

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Alan Bloom-2
The SVGA option is not required for the TX monitor feature.  It does
require a small option board which fills one of the unused holes on the
P3 back panel and an external power sensor similar to a W2 wattmeter
sensor.  The only difference from a standard W2 sensor is several
capacitors have a smaller value to improve the bandwidth for the
modulation envelope display.

The new firmware to support the sensor is pretty far along.  The main
thing we're working on right now is the aesthetics of the "meter"
displays that show the PEP/average power and SWR.

Alan N1AL

> At one time Wayne said the SVGA would not be required but I
> have not seen further confirmation or any word of a change.
>
> I don't have the SVGA either and hope it will not be a
> requirement as the cost of SVGA plus sensor really tips the
> cost/benefit equation.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2015-04-20 10:14 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
>> Will the SVGA add on be required for this?
>>
>> I do not have it yet.
>>

>> Thanks, 73, Jim KG0KP

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Hank Garretson
I missed the Visalia presentation.

Will it be time- or frequency-domain display? Or even better, both?

73,

Hank, W6SX

On Monday, April 20, 2015, Alan Bloom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The SVGA option is not required for the TX monitor feature.  It does
> require a small option board which fills one of the unused holes on the P3
> back panel and an external power sensor similar to a W2 wattmeter sensor.
> The only difference from a standard W2 sensor is several capacitors have a
> smaller value to improve the bandwidth for the modulation envelope display.
>
> The new firmware to support the sensor is pretty far along.  The main
> thing we're working on right now is the aesthetics of the "meter" displays
> that show the PEP/average power and SWR.
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 04/20/2015 08:23 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>

>> At one time Wayne said the SVGA would not be required but I
>> have not seen further confirmation or any word of a change.
>>
>> I don't have the SVGA either and hope it will not be a
>> requirement as the cost of SVGA plus sensor really tips the
>> cost/benefit equation.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>> On 2015-04-20 10:14 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Will the SVGA add on be required for this?
>>>
>>> I do not have it yet.
>>>

>>> Thanks, 73, Jim KG0KP

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Alan Bloom-2
Time.  When transmitting, the spectrum display is (optionally) replaced
by a display of the modulation envelope.  One cool feature that I
haven't seen elsewhere is that when the K3 is in CW mode, the envelope
display optionally uses a split screen where the left half shows the CW
rise and the right half the fall so you can see both edges at the same time.

The simulated meter displays are at the bottom.  The one on the left
reads PEP and average power and the one on the right SWR.  There is also
a digital readout of PEP power and SWR.

Either or both the modulation envelope and meter displays can be enabled
and disabled via menu entries.  You can also change the full-scale power
for the meter and the ms/div for the modulation envelope display (the
amplitude is auto-scaled).

Alan N1AL

On 04/20/2015 10:24 AM, Hank Garretson wrote:

> I missed the Visalia presentation.
>
> Will it be time- or frequency-domain display? Or even better, both?
>
> 73,
>
> Hank, W6SX
>

> On Monday, April 20, 2015, Alan Bloom <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The SVGA option is not required for the TX monitor feature.  It
>     does require a small option board which fills one of the unused
>     holes on the P3 back panel and an external power sensor similar to
>     a W2 wattmeter sensor.  The only difference from a standard W2
>     sensor is several capacitors have a smaller value to improve the
>     bandwidth for the modulation envelope display.
>
>     The new firmware to support the sensor is pretty far along. The
>     main thing we're working on right now is the aesthetics of the
>     "meter" displays that show the PEP/average power and SWR.
>
>     Alan N1AL
>

>     On 04/20/2015 08:23 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>

>         At one time Wayne said the SVGA would not be required but I
>         have not seen further confirmation or any word of a change.
>
>         I don't have the SVGA either and hope it will not be a
>         requirement as the cost of SVGA plus sensor really tips the
>         cost/benefit equation.
>
>         73,
>
>            ... Joe, W4TV
>

>         On 2015-04-20 10:14 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
>
>             Will the SVGA add on be required for this?
>
>             I do not have it yet.
>

>             Thanks, 73, Jim KG0KP

>             Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>             This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>             Please help support this email list:
>             http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>             Message delivered to [hidden email]

>         Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>         This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>         Please help support this email list:
>         http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>         Message delivered to [hidden email]

>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>     Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Alan,

Thanks for the confirmation ... can't wait <G>.

On 2015-04-20 12:45 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:

> The SVGA option is not required for the TX monitor feature.  It does
> require a small option board which fills one of the unused holes on the
> P3 back panel and an external power sensor similar to a W2 wattmeter
> sensor.  The only difference from a standard W2 sensor is several
> capacitors have a smaller value to improve the bandwidth for the
> modulation envelope display.
>
> The new firmware to support the sensor is pretty far along.  The main
> thing we're working on right now is the aesthetics of the "meter"
> displays that show the PEP/average power and SWR.
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On 04/20/2015 08:23 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>>
>> At one time Wayne said the SVGA would not be required but I
>> have not seen further confirmation or any word of a change.
>>
>> I don't have the SVGA either and hope it will not be a
>> requirement as the cost of SVGA plus sensor really tips the
>> cost/benefit equation.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>> On 2015-04-20 10:14 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
>>> Will the SVGA add on be required for this?
>>>
>>> I do not have it yet.
>>>

>>> Thanks, 73, Jim KG0KP

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Scott-2
So what is the expected current draw for the new "meters" PCB?  I kinda
like powering my "non-SVGA" P3 from the back of my "unmodified" K3.  I
may eventually do the K3 pwr mod but it's not in the near future.

Bottom line: how much current does this "meters" PCB draw?  And will I
be able to use it from an "unmodified" K3?

Scott
AD5HS

Re: P3 Transmit Monitoring Feature

Alan Bloom-2
The interface board draws essentially no current (< 1 mA).  I'm not sure
exactly how much power the sensor itself draws but it's low also, on the
order of 8 mA max from the 5V internal supply, perhaps 4 mA from the 12V
input.

So not an issue.

Alan N1AL