P3 Turn on Blinding Flash

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

P3 Turn on Blinding Flash

Steve Ellington-2
Just wondering:
My P3's 12v DC comes from the K3. First I turn on my power supply then the
K3. The P3 comes on automatically as per the setting.
When the P3 comes on, the LCD display is like a flash cube! BRIGHT.
Then it dims down to my normally low brightness setting.

To me it seems like this would be hard on the panel's back light.
Are my concerns unfounded?

Steve N4LQ
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 Turn on Blinding Flash

W6NEK-2
I don't know if your concerns are unfounded, but I have been using my P3 for
years (since they were first introduced) and upon power-up I also experience
a very brief (maybe 100-200 ms) display of bright white pixels then the
normal panadapter display is shown. During all this time I have not noticed
any degradation to the TFT display brightness or resolution. Neither have I
notice any evidence of dead pixels. From my own experience, I am not
concerned about the TFT display.

Frank - W6NEK

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Ellington" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:24 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] P3 Turn on Blinding Flash


> Just wondering:
> My P3's 12v DC comes from the K3. First I turn on my power supply then the
> K3. The P3 comes on automatically as per the setting.
> When the P3 comes on, the LCD display is like a flash cube! BRIGHT.
> Then it dims down to my normally low brightness setting.
>
> To me it seems like this would be hard on the panel's back light.
> Are my concerns unfounded?
>
> Steve N4LQ
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 Turn on Blinding Flash

W5RDW
In reply to this post by Steve Ellington-2
Mine has done that since day one. I never gave it a thought something was not right.
Roger W5RDW
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 Turn on Blinding Flash

Steve Ellington-2
Good enough. I'm not going to worry about it.
It's just that most things like TVs etc. don't do that and you'd think such
a surge wouldn't be healthy.
73 to all.
Steve N4LQ

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM, W5RDW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mine has done that since day one. I never gave it a thought something was
> not
> right.
>
>
>
> -----
> Roger W5RDW
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/P3-Turn-on-Blinding-Flash-tp7611735p7611740.html
> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 Turn on Blinding Flash

David Bunte
I have been mulling this over since I saw the initial post.  I keep coming
back to the description as a "blinding flash", and "like a flash cube".
When my P3 first comes on, there is a moment when the entire screen lights
up, but the intensity appears to be exactly the same as the normal
brightness, of the display.  I see NOTHING that I would describe as a
"blinding flash", or like a "flash cube".  IF what you, and it would seem,
others are seeing, really is significantly brighter than the normal white
levels of the legend on the screen, etc., then I would certainly contact
Elecraft support directly.

Dave - K9FN

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM, Steve Ellington <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good enough. I'm not going to worry about it.
> It's just that most things like TVs etc. don't do that and you'd think such
> a surge wouldn't be healthy.
> 73 to all.
> Steve N4LQ
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM, W5RDW <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Mine has done that since day one. I never gave it a thought something was
> > not
> > right.
> >
> >
> >
> > -----
> > Roger W5RDW
> > --
> > View this message in context:
> >
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/P3-Turn-on-Blinding-Flash-tp7611735p7611740.html
> > Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> > ______________________________________________________________
> > Elecraft mailing list
> > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> > Message delivered to [hidden email]
> >
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]