P3 abnormal shut off problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

P3 abnormal shut off problem

Tom Azlin W7SUA-2
Hi. My P3 has started turning off a few seconds to a minute after I turn
on my K3/P3 or when I then try to turn my P3 back on. I was watching and
saw no error message like low voltage. Watching also the voltmeter on my
K3 and stayed at 14.5 to 14.7 volts. dropped power supply to 14 volts
and it still shut down. Did a tune and voltage was 12.8 then back to 14
then afterwards it shut off.

Is my power supply not holding up properly?

Will dig out a spare power supply next.

73, tom w7sua
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 abnormal shut off problem

Don Wilhelm
Tom,

That sounds strange.  I would first suggest checking all the Power
Supply to K3, and either K3 AUX DC to P3 or the Power Supply to P3 power
cables for loose connections.

A drop from 14.5 to 14.7 volts down to 12.8 volts indicates a high
resistance power cable or a bad power supply.

Measure the voltage at the power supply terminals to determine whether
it is the power supply or the cables - if the voltage stays up at the
power supply terminals, but the voltage sags at the K3 end, the cable is
to blame.

OTOH, if the voltage at the power supply terminals sags significantly,
then the power supply regulation is at fault.

Make certain all power cable connections are tight.  Power cables
wrapped around the terminals are suspect (use ring terminals), as are
the power supply terminals designed to "insert the wire and flip the
lever" which may not guarantee a good tight connection.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 10/25/2019 5:44 PM, Tom Azlin W7SUA wrote:

> Hi. My P3 has started turning off a few seconds to a minute after I turn
> on my K3/P3 or when I then try to turn my P3 back on. I was watching and
> saw no error message like low voltage. Watching also the voltmeter on my
> K3 and stayed at 14.5 to 14.7 volts. dropped power supply to 14 volts
> and it still shut down. Did a tune and voltage was 12.8 then back to 14
> then afterwards it shut off.
>
> Is my power supply not holding up properly?
>
> Will dig out a spare power supply next.
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 abnormal shut off problem

Tom Azlin W7SUA-2
Thanks Don.

I measured the power supply sag at the power supply to be about 0.05
volts. Replaced the cables with larger gauge and still had a problem,
perhaps internal to the K3. Switched to feeding the P3 directly from the
power supply ( an Astron 70, but switch to Alinco 50 amp with same
results) and now the P3 is rock solid. I did order the K3 mod to raise
the current limit from 0.5 to 1 amp as suggested by Elecraft. And will
be making that Aux DC out to P3 cable of heaver gauge.

Now thinking on why the K3 voltmeter would show such a large drop.

I do use ring terminal lugs. Will be making higher gauge short as
possible cables to see if that helps the sag shown on the K3 voltmeter.
Also plan to set up a second DVM to watch both power supply and input to
the K3 at the same time.

Still trying to shoot the trouble. Also got suggestions from Elecraft
tech support and others.

Thanks and 73, tom w7sua



On 10/26/2019 4:03 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tom,
>
> That sounds strange.  I would first suggest checking all the Power
> Supply to K3, and either K3 AUX DC to P3 or the Power Supply to P3 power
> cables for loose connections.
>
> A drop from 14.5 to 14.7 volts down to 12.8 volts indicates a high
> resistance power cable or a bad power supply.
>
> Measure the voltage at the power supply terminals to determine whether
> it is the power supply or the cables - if the voltage stays up at the
> power supply terminals, but the voltage sags at the K3 end, the cable is
> to blame.
>
> OTOH, if the voltage at the power supply terminals sags significantly,
> then the power supply regulation is at fault.
>
> Make certain all power cable connections are tight.  Power cables
> wrapped around the terminals are suspect (use ring terminals), as are
> the power supply terminals designed to "insert the wire and flip the
> lever" which may not guarantee a good tight connection.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 10/25/2019 5:44 PM, Tom Azlin W7SUA wrote:
>> Hi. My P3 has started turning off a few seconds to a minute after I
>> turn on my K3/P3 or when I then try to turn my P3 back on. I was
>> watching and saw no error message like low voltage. Watching also the
>> voltmeter on my K3 and stayed at 14.5 to 14.7 volts. dropped power
>> supply to 14 volts and it still shut down. Did a tune and voltage was
>> 12.8 then back to 14 then afterwards it shut off.
>>
>> Is my power supply not holding up properly?
>>
>> Will dig out a spare power supply next.
>>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 abnormal shut off problem

Don Wilhelm
Tom,

If you have not yet made the K3 switch to the 1 amp output, that alone
could explain the problem, especially if you have the SVGA option in
your P3.  The 0.5 amp source is marginal in the P3 without any options.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 10/28/2019 11:17 PM, Tom Azlin W7SUA wrote:
> Thanks Don.
>
> I measured the power supply sag at the power supply to be about 0.05
> volts. Replaced the cables with larger gauge and still had a problem,
> perhaps internal to the K3. Switched to feeding the P3 directly from the
> power supply ( an Astron 70, but switch to Alinco 50 amp with same
> results) and now the P3 is rock solid. I did order the K3 mod to raise
> the current limit from 0.5 to 1 amp as suggested by Elecraft. And will
> be making that Aux DC out to P3 cable of heaver gauge.
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: P3 abnormal shut off problem

Tom Azlin W7SUA-2
Hi Don,

I do have the SVGA option installed but do not remember upgrading the K3
for 1 amp. Not sure how I missed that upgrade. So in a few weeks will be
opening up my K3 to check that and if not there putting in the upgrade.

Thanks for your advice.

73, tom w7sua

On 10/28/2019 9:10 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tom,
>
> If you have not yet made the K3 switch to the 1 amp output, that alone
> could explain the problem, especially if you have the SVGA option in
> your P3.  The 0.5 amp source is marginal in the P3 without any options.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 10/28/2019 11:17 PM, Tom Azlin W7SUA wrote:
>> Thanks Don.
>>
>> I measured the power supply sag at the power supply to be about 0.05
>> volts. Replaced the cables with larger gauge and still had a problem,
>> perhaps internal to the K3. Switched to feeding the P3 directly from
>> the power supply ( an Astron 70, but switch to Alinco 50 amp with same
>> results) and now the P3 is rock solid. I did order the K3 mod to raise
>> the current limit from 0.5 to 1 amp as suggested by Elecraft. And will
>> be making that Aux DC out to P3 cable of heaver gauge.
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

synth board stiffener set K3STFNR

bill steffey
In reply to this post by Tom Azlin W7SUA-2
i have one new in the bag ,,,  if anyone is still looking .....

  K3STFNR

15+ FGT...


BILL [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]