P3 with K2?

Thomas Taylor-2
Can the P3 display unit be used with a K2?  If so, are mods necessary for
either the K2 or P3?

Thanks, Tom Taylor  KE7TT

--

Ever notice the first thing you see at an airport is a big sign that says
"TERMINAL"? Have a nice flight.

^^  --...  ...--  / -.-  .  --...  - -

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KE7TT
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.6-4-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD A8-7600, GeForce GTX 960
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 40.1, claws-mail 3.10.1
registered linux user 263467

Re: P3 with K2?

Don Wilhelm
Tom,

The answer is "yes" and "maybe".
The P3 can tune to the K2 IF easily enough (menu setting) - in fact it
can be tuned to anywhere between 455kHz and 21MHz.

The problem is getting the IF out of the K2.  To accomplish that, a
buffer amplifier is needed to keep from loading the K2 IF.

Clifton Labs used to have their Z10000-K2 buffer amplifier to do exactly
that task, but unfortunately Jack Smith is now SK.
I had obtained information that DX Engineering had taken over the
Clifton Labs stock, but I don't see anything of it on their website.

If someone would build a buffer amplifier similar to the Z10000, then it
would be possible.

On 7/13/2016 3:18 AM, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> Can the P3 display unit be used with a K2?  If so, are mods necessary for
> either the K2 or P3?

Re: P3 with K2?

Tom Azlin W7SUA
How about this one?

https://sage-shop.com/epages/qrp-shop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/qrp-shop/Products/Vk2zfadapterBest%C3%BCckt

A K2 IF adapter kit from QRP shop
https://sage-shop.com/epages/qrp-shop.sf/en_GB/

??

73, tom w7sua

On 7/13/2016 5:06 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Tom,
>
> The answer is "yes" and "maybe".
> The P3 can tune to the K2 IF easily enough (menu setting) - in fact it
> can be tuned to anywhere between 455kHz and 21MHz.
>
> The problem is getting the IF out of the K2.  To accomplish that, a
> buffer amplifier is needed to keep from loading the K2 IF.
>
> Clifton Labs used to have their Z10000-K2 buffer amplifier to do exactly
> that task, but unfortunately Jack Smith is now SK.
> I had obtained information that DX Engineering had taken over the
> Clifton Labs stock, but I don't see anything of it on their website.
>
> If someone would build a buffer amplifier similar to the Z10000, then it
> would be possible.

> On 7/13/2016 3:18 AM, Thomas Taylor wrote:
>> Can the P3 display unit be used with a K2?  If so, are mods necessary for
>> either the K2 or P3?

Re: P3 with K2?

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
The QRP shop IF buffer amplifier looks spot on, but does anyone have any experience with it? The information is a bit sparse, but says "Small Kit do provide the K2 with a buffered IF Output. Installation with or without Noiseblanker possible. "

It seems like it fits in the connector of the noise blanker - but how it does that when a noise blanker is already plugged in is not so clear from this brief description.

Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: P3 with K2?

Tom Azlin W7SUA
Good question. I ordered one and will find out when I try to put it in.
I could find no instructions but have not written back to see if they
have any.

73, tom w7sua

On 7/13/2016 2:51 PM, Sverre Holm (LA3ZA) wrote:

> The QRP shop IF buffer amplifier looks spot on, but does anyone have any
> experience with it? The information is a bit sparse, but says "Small Kit do
> provide the K2 with a buffered IF Output. Installation with or without
> Noiseblanker possible. "
>
> It seems like it fits in the connector of the noise blanker - but how it
> does that when a noise blanker is already plugged in is not so clear from
> this brief description.
>

> Tom Azlin W7SUA wrote
>> How about this one?
>>
>> https://sage-shop.com/epages/qrp-shop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/qrp-shop/Products/Vk2zfadapterBest%C3%BCckt
>>
>> A K2 IF adapter kit from QRP shop
>> https://sage-shop.com/epages/qrp-shop.sf/en_GB/
>>
>> ??
>>
>> 73, tom w7sua
>

> -----
> Sverre, LA3ZA
>
> K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
> LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
> LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: P3 with K2?

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
Hi Tom

Looking forward to hearing about your results!

Tom Azlin W7SUA wrote
Good question. I ordered one and will find out when I try to put it in.
I could find no instructions but have not written back to see if they
have any.

73, tom w7sua
73