Paper Tape CW sender

Kenneth Christiansen
Hi to the group.

My silent key friend's XYL has a paper tape morse code device and we would like to donate it to a museum. It is in a nice looking wood box. It has one paper tape, a hand crank on the side of the box and should be saved as an important piece of history. His XYL and I are both 74 years old so it will just be a matter of time before this ends up in a land fill if we don't find a home for it.

She sent me two pictures of it so if anyone is interested I can E-Mail the pictures. She will donate the piece and I will pay shipping if we can find a home for it.

73

Ken Christiansen.  W0CZ
w0cz at i29 dot net.    Or I am good in QRZ.COM.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Alan Bloom
When I worked at W1AW back in the mid-70s, we were still using paper
tape to send CW, but it was 5-hole tape, the same as used for RTTY.  A
converter box made by Frederick Electronics converted the RTTY Baudot
code to Morse.

However, we did have an old 2-hole CW tape machine that was used for the
frequency-measuring tests because you could send long dashes with it by
manually covering up the "off" hole at the end of a dot or dash.  I
don't remember what brand of machine it was.

You might consider donating your "find" to the ARRL museum.  I believe
Bob Allison WB1GCM of the ARRL lab is the curator.  860-594-0210

Alan N1AL

On 10/30/2016 01:54 PM, Don Hall wrote:

> Shades of yore!! I learned enough code to pass my Class C code test
> given by an ex-Merchant Marineoperator in 1948 by using one of these
> belonging to my dad W5RLM(SK).Shows my longevity(age!!)73  Don
> K5AQW5OBS courtesy of the paper tape machine
>
> On Sunday, October 30, 2016 8:34 AM, Kenneth Christiansen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi to the group.
>
> My silent key friend's XYL has a paper tape morse code device and we
> would like to donate it to a museum. It is in a nice looking wood
> box. It has one paper tape, a hand crank on the side of the box and
> should be saved as an important piece of history. His XYL and I are
> both 74 years old so it will just be a matter of time before this
> ends up in a land fill if we don't find a home for it.
>
> She sent me two pictures of it so if anyone is interested I can
> E-Mail the pictures. She will donate the piece and I will pay
> shipping if we can find a home for it.
>
> 73
>
> Ken Christiansen.  W0CZ w0cz at i29 dot net.    Or I am good in
> QRZ.COM.
>

> Sent from my iPad
> mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

> mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Tom Francis
Oh wow - my Dad had one of those - does that go back a few years.

Donate it to W1AW museum - I don't know who the station engineer is anymore
as I left there in the late '80s, but I'm sure they would really
appreciate the donation.

Tom, W1TEF

On 10/30/2016 9:33 AM, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:

> Hi to the group.
>
> My silent key friend's XYL has a paper tape morse code device and we would like to donate it to a museum. It is in a nice looking wood box. It has one paper tape, a hand crank on the side of the box and should be saved as an important piece of history. His XYL and I are both 74 years old so it will just be a matter of time before this ends up in a land fill if we don't find a home for it.
>
> She sent me two pictures of it so if anyone is interested I can E-Mail the pictures. She will donate the piece and I will pay shipping if we can find a home for it.
>
> 73
>
> Ken Christiansen.  W0CZ
> w0cz at i29 dot net.    Or I am good in QRZ.COM.
>

> Sent from my iPad

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

George Kidder
Interesting!  I used to own one of these (the single-hole variety) - it
never worked too well, but then I was no expert at it.  Don't remember
where I got rid of it - probably at a hamfest for a song.

I took my extra code exam with a portable version of this machine, run
by the FCC examiner.  It's a long story which I won't repeat, but it
involved a tape machine malfunction!  Cranky beasts.

George, W3HBM (age 82)

On 10/30/2016 5:48 PM, Tom Francis wrote:

> Oh wow - my Dad had one of those - does that go back a few years.
>
> Donate it to W1AW museum - I don't know who the station engineer is
> anymore
> as I left there in the late '80s, but I'm sure they would really
> appreciate the donation.
>
> Tom, W1TEF
>
> On 10/30/2016 9:33 AM, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:
>> Hi to the group.
>>
>> My silent key friend's XYL has a paper tape morse code device and we
>> would like to donate it to a museum. It is in a nice looking wood
>> box. It has one paper tape, a hand crank on the side of the box and
>> should be saved as an important piece of history. His XYL and I are
>> both 74 years old so it will just be a matter of time before this
>> ends up in a land fill if we don't find a home for it.
>>
>> She sent me two pictures of it so if anyone is interested I can
>> E-Mail the pictures. She will donate the piece and I will pay
>> shipping if we can find a home for it.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Ken Christiansen.  W0CZ
>> w0cz at i29 dot net.    Or I am good in QRZ.COM.
>>

>> Sent from my iPad

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

donhall161
Ron,
That was the brand of the machine I used. As soon as I made any progress, I started listeningon the air. Crude methodology, but effective. Been a fun-filled 68 years in ham radio!
73  Don  K5AQW5OBS K2GCS F0HXS 7J1AEF 9V1SH ES5AQEnd of brag tape!!

    On Sunday, October 30, 2016 5:38 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Sounds like an "Instructograph". I had the use of one for learning Morse back in the early 1950's. The problem was with inadvertently memorizing the tape through too many repeat plays, but extremely valuable otherwise.

73 Ron AC7AC

Shades of yore!! I learned enough code to pass my Class C code test given by an ex-Merchant Marineoperator in 1948 by using one of these belonging to my dad W5RLM(SK).Shows my longevity(age!!)73  Don K5AQW5OBS courtesy of the paper tape machine

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Charlie T, K3ICH
Are y'all talking about an "Instructo-Graph" (if I spelled it correctly)?

Got a couple of those in the basement along with some Int'l Morse & American
Morse paper tapes.

If I remember correctly, one is a spring driven, wind up and the other has
an AC motor drive.

73, Charlie k3ICH

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Cady, Fred-2
There is also a great museum in Manitoba.

http://marminc.ca/

Fred KE7X

________________________________

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Edward R Cole
Guessing a lot of us first licensed in 1950's learned code from one
of these.  Instruct-O-Graph sounds familiar.  My ham license
instructor (elmer) used one in night-time class a nearby HS (Caro,
MI).  He was music teacher for his day job.  Must have trusted me as
he let me take it home after class ended.  I got to where I had
memorized the tape after playing it, so resorted to copying code with
my 3-tube regen receiver on 40m.  He administered my Novice exam
resulting in KN8MWA in Nov. 1958.

First ham station: Knight Ocean Hopper and DX35 to twinlead 40m FD:
http://www.kl7uw.com/1958%20HamStation.jpg

I visited the Manitoba museum in 1999 after attending Microwave
Update in Winnipeg.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag Business e-mail:

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

W5RDW
When I took my 13 wpm General Test at the Houston FCC office in 1961, they used a tape fed code machine. The only problem with it was the extremely low pitch it was set for, much lower than what I was use to. So many complained after the first part of the run was sent, they raised the pitch and then it sounded much better to most of us.

Roger W5RDW
Roger W5RDW

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Elecraft mailing list
FCC Detroit office, early 70’s.  The punch tape code sending machine had issues, very warbly.  I still passed.

They got a back-up machine out and let those that failed retake the test.  Not one of them passed on their second go-round with the replacement machine.  I guess you are either prepared or you are not.

Gary

K9JN

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Tony Estep
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 5:49 AM, W5RDW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I took my 13 wpm General Test at the Houston FCC office in 1961,
> they used a tape fed code machine.....

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Los Angeles, early 1953:  They used a 2-hole tape reader.  Big thing,
smelled of oil, sat in a tin tray next to the examiner's desk.  Used a
tach on the motor shaft to indicate speed on a gauge that looked exactly
like a pressure gauge on a steam locomotive.  Very imposing and
intimidating, and the Examiner [wearing a green eyeshade] told me to sit
right next to it. :-(

6 months later, same machine at 13 WPM, and 2 years after that at 20 and
25 WPM for the Extra and 2T.  Same Examiner too.

I think the MHRS [KPH/KSM crowd at Point Reyes] uses the same kind
[Boehme?], I've seen it at Pacificon a couple of times.  Even 60 years
later, seeing it still gave me a sinking spell.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 7-8 Oct 2017
- www.cqp.org

On 11/1/2016 3:53 AM, gn525--- via Elecraft wrote:
> FCC Detroit office, early 70’s.  The punch tape code sending machine
> had issues, very warbly.  I still passed.

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
Let's wind down and end this OT thread in the interest of controlling email
overload for other list readers. (We're now at 35 posts..)

73,
Eric
/elecraft.com
List Moderator etc.
/
On 11/1/2016 11:32 AM, Fred Jensen wrote:
> Los Angeles, early 1953:  They used a 2-hole tape reader.  Big thing, smelled
> of oil, sat in a tin tray next to the examiner's desk.  Used a tach on the
> motor shaft to indicate speed on a gauge that looked exactly like a pressure
> gauge on a steam locomotive.  Very imposing and intimidating, and the Examiner
> [wearing a green eyeshade] told me to sit right next to it. :-(

Re: Paper Tape CW sender

Bob-270
FCC office in NYC, mid 60', 2 trips and passed the General and Extra.  Had a
friend whose call will not be disclosed who was far better at CW than I.  Every
time he went  from nerves just lost it.   On his last trip in mid way through
the exam the tape machine  developed a problem.  The examiner said that he would
attempt to fix it on his lunch hour and if anyone wanted too they could take the
exam over after lunch. Some had passed even as they got a full minute of copy
before the machine failed.

At the time the drinking age in NY was 18 and 21 in NJ.  So my friend and
another fellow he met there had almost 2 hours to kill.  They went to a local
bar and was pretty much blitzed upon return  Had failed in the morning and only
missed two letters in the afternoon. Nerves were no longer a factor.

Far different era. The FCC office at 201 Varick Street is still a government
office and  close by "Radio Row" became the site of the World Trade Center.

But the memories!!

73,

Bob

K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR