Quantcast

Perfect K3 Speaker

N9BX
Good Evening:

If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be, looking
for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.

73 Bruce N9BX

K3 # 775

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

N4LQ-2
For CW.....MFJ-281 ClearTone
For SSB ...Heathkit HS-1661

Steve Ellington
> If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be, looking
> for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.
>
> 73 Bruce N9BX
>
> K3 # 775

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

Bruce,

The K3 offers 'stereo' with the subreceiver, and the AFX effects when
selected (without the subreceiver too).  So I think the best external
speakers are moderate to good quality computer stereo speakers.  I
bought a pair for about $25 at Staples and they serve me adequately.

For mono only external speakers, the Motorola communications speakers
are a good choice.

Bruce Osterberg wrote:
> Good Evening:
>
> If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be,
> looking for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

Hi Bruce,

For communications bandwidths, a sturdy 4-ohm, 3 or 4" diameter mobile
speaker (non-powered) does a great job. For a bit more fidelity and to
take advantage of the K3's stereo speaker outputs, I use a pair of good
quality bookshelf-style speakers (again, non-powered).

Right now I'm using Best Buy's "Insignia, 4-inch, 3-way surround
speakers," which sound quite good, although they're 8 ohms rather than
4 so the available per-channel peak power will be lower. They're about
4"W x 8"H.

I had been using just a single speaker, but having two allows me to get
L/R separation of the main and subreceivers, as well as take advantage
of the K3's "AFX" simulated stereo mode.

On May 3, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Bruce Osterberg wrote:

> Good Evening:
>
> If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be,
> looking for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.
>
> 73 Bruce N9BX
>
> K3 # 775

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

Bill N2BC
Wayne, I'm curious about what seems to be an emphasis on "non-powered"
speakers in your reply...   why?

My op bench was getting overrun with speakers for various rigs.  I picked up
an 8 channel stereo line level mixer and now run everything through a single
set of powered PC speakers.  The mixer (Behringer RX-1602) automatically
mixes mono inputs as L+R and has a separate level adjustable stereo
headphone output.  Each input can be individually switched on/off.

I did have to make a handful of isolation transformers to get rid of some
ground loops but the mixer & powered speakers tolerate legal limit RF levels
well.

73, Bill  N2BC
(checking every email now, waiting for my Katie-gram on a December K3
order!)

> For communications bandwidths, a sturdy 4-ohm, 3 or 4" diameter mobile
> speaker (non-powered) does a great job. For a bit more fidelity and to
> take advantage of the K3's stereo speaker outputs, I use a pair of good
> quality bookshelf-style speakers (again, non-powered).
>
> Right now I'm using Best Buy's "Insignia, 4-inch, 3-way surround
> speakers," which sound quite good, although they're 8 ohms rather than 4
> so the available per-channel peak power will be lower. They're about 4"W x
> 8"H.
>
> I had been using just a single speaker, but having two allows me to get
> L/R separation of the main and subreceivers, as well as take advantage of
> the K3's "AFX" simulated stereo mode.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On May 3, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Bruce Osterberg wrote:
>
>> Good Evening:
>>
>> If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be, looking
>> for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.
>>
>> 73 Bruce N9BX
>>
>> K3 # 775

re: Perfect K3 Speaker

Mike Scott-7
Bruce,
I am using and happy with a pair of Radio Shack Optimus XTS25 bookshelf
speakers; I think this model is discontinued.
I would think most bookshelf speakers would be good. My particular model is
8 ohms designed for 10 watts rms up to 20 watts max and I have room filling
sound if I choose, it has a single 4-inch speaker and stands 6 1/2 inches
tall. I normally run the AF gain at the 9 o-clock position.

There are a lot of speakers out there that are specified for 100 watts or
more. I haven't tried one but I would be worried about sufficient audio
level being driven by the low wattage K3. Most PC speakers are low wattage.

eham has a section reviewing speakers for communication use.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/29

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

Tom Hammond-2
Bruce:

I'd suggest a 4 Ohm speaker!  Actually, I'm using two (2) of the old Motorola
UN-amplified mobile speakers available on EBay for $10 or so. They are either
3.2 or 4 Ohms and work GREAT!

73,

Tom   N0SS

At 21:05 05/03/2008, you wrote:

>Good Evening:
>
>If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be,
>looking for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.
>
>73 Bruce N9BX
>
>K3 # 775

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

P.B. Christensen
My pick is the RadioShack Optimus 8 or 11.  I believe these are long out of
production but widely available used on the Internet.  I also second N4LQ's
recommendation on the MFJ ClearTone for CW.

I think the audio "fullness" of the existing K3 speaker could be
substantially improved with the simple addition of a baffle.  A few weeks
ago, I looked at this and there appears to be just enough room to form a
sealed square box around the speaker to form an "infinite baffle."

The problem with 99% of the existing communications speakers is that the
path from the back-wave of the speaker is far too short and results in
low-frequency cancellation.  The baffle prevents back-wave and forward-wave
cancellation.  The result is substantially improved low-end content below
400 Hz.

Paul, W9AC

> For communications bandwidths, a sturdy 4-ohm, 3 or 4" diameter mobile
> speaker (non-powered) does a great job. For a bit more fidelity and to
> take advantage of the K3's stereo speaker outputs, I use a pair of good
> quality bookshelf-style speakers (again, non-powered).
>
> Right now I'm using Best Buy's "Insignia, 4-inch, 3-way surround
> speakers," which sound quite good, although they're 8 ohms rather than 4
> so the available per-channel peak power will be lower. They're about 4"W x
> 8"H.
>
> I had been using just a single speaker, but having two allows me to get
> L/R separation of the main and subreceivers, as well as take advantage of
> the K3's "AFX" simulated stereo mode.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On May 3, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Bruce Osterberg wrote:
>
>> Good Evening:
>>
>> If I was to add an external speaker to the K3 what would it be, looking
>> for suggestions as Dayton is just around the corner.
>>
>> 73 Bruce N9BX
>>
>> K3 # 775
>>

> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

k0wa@swbell.net

My 2 cents....

I took Tom's (N0SS) suggestion and found two 4 Ohm com speakers.  They are not Motorola....but are Midland speakers boxes.  They were marvelously.  I tried the Radio Shack OPTIMUS but they sounded muddy.  They sound good on the two meter FM rig in the shack, but not HF.  I tried some nice computer speakers (two sets) and they sounded "tinny."  The 4 Ohm Midland speakers, and I have two so I can use AFX, just sound marvelous.  I really am surprised.

And...they were FREE!  A local ham had them in his junk box and gave them to me.  FREE!  Love FREE!

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

Neal
I don't know if it's perect, but I like it.  If you can get over the fact that it's a
mobile CB (gasp) speaker, you find that it is built like tank and has a reasonable
communications type sound.  A nice change from the plastic and thin sheet
metal cabinets.  The cable has decent size conductors too.

The model is an SRA-168 from Ranger Communications:  www.rangerusa.com

I added an on-off switch to the back, because I have headphones and a speaker
always plugged in.  I even made an "Elecraft" namepalte to cover up the
"Texas Ranger" logo on the front.  hi hi

Neal WA6OCP
K3 #305
on the

n9bx wrote

On May 4, 2008, at 4:23 AM, Bill Coleman N2BC wrote:

> Wayne, I'm curious about what seems to be an emphasis on "non-powered"
> speakers in your reply...   why?

Hi Bill,

Due to space limitations, I have a random wire antenna only 10' from
the shack that I use on some band. Its RFI gets into powered computer
speakers. So I turn them off when it's an issue, and use only unpowered
speakers with the K3. The K3 can easily drive two good-size bookshelf
speakers.

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Perfect K3 Speaker

LA4AMA

<quote author="wayne burdick">
> Hi Bruce,

> For communications bandwidths, a sturdy 4-ohm, 3 or 4" diameter mobile
> speaker (non-powered) does a great job. For a bit more fidelity and to
> take advantage of the K3's stereo speaker outputs, I use a pair of good
> quality bookshelf-style speakers (again, non-powered).

> Right now I'm using Best Buy's "Insignia, 4-inch, 3-way surround
> speakers," which sound quite good, although they're 8 ohms rather than
> 4 so the available per-channel peak power will be lower. They're about
> 4"W x 8"H.

> I had been using just a single speaker, but having two allows me to get
> L/R separation of the main and subreceivers, as well as take advantage
> of the K3's "AFX" simulated stereo mode.

> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
Hi.

I am awaiting my K3 to be ready including all the options I ordered (DVR etc.).
I am planning on connecting two small bookshelf speakers (Proson Sat 51RR) who have excellent audio. I am currently using these on my IC-756pro3, and they sound  a lot better than any amateur radio speaker. If one really wants to reveal the details in the received audio I can recommend the AKG HSD-271 headset (with dynamic microphone). These are outstanding in every way, and sounds incredibly clear and neutral. The electret mic version of these are the HSC-271.

Best regards
LA4AMA
Roar