Phonema Speaker for K3

Phonema
Hi Julio,

There is something very true and this is that you can only have an
opinion about what you know first-hand. All the rest is just empty words.

I understand that there are people less demanding that others about
sound, that there is a wide and diverse spectrum of ham radio amateurs,
and that people like or dislike different things and this cannot be put
into question. However, I am proud to defend here that my speakers have
an excellent quality/price relationship because of its design, the
quality of materials and components and the high quality sound they
produce.

Phonema sells design and quality audio: 106€ is a very fair price.

Amadeo, EA3OW, Phonema Speakers.

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Bill-3
Perhaps Phonema Speakers should argue their case on their own website?

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Gary Gregory-2
Phonema should have the right to explain and respond to comments raised on
this reflector in fairness to all i should think.
I dont mind and i am considering their product seriously.
My hesitation is about audio quality to help my hearing as the  big 3
produce dreadful speakers for MY hearing but that is my personal opinion,
nothing more.

Gary
Vk1ZZ
K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
On 05/09/2014 9:19 AM, "W2BLC" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps Phonema Speakers should argue their case on their own website?
>
> Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Fred Smith-2
Sales must be a little slow, price might be adjusted soon being the market
he playing for.............

Fred/N0AZZ

Perhaps Phonema Speakers should argue their case on their own website?

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Gary Gregory-2
Powered speakers in the Motorhome is just not going to happen.
I want a non-powered speaker that will work nicely with my k3.
YMMV of course....

Gary
Vk1ZZ
K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
On 05/09/2014 10:37 AM, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sales must be a little slow, price might be adjusted soon being the market
> he playing for.............
>
> Fred/N0AZZ

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

On 2014-09-04 8:37 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
 > Sales must be a little slow,

I would expect them to be slow given a list price of 129EUR (106EUR
Export) plus shipping and the cost of export documentation.

Although a case that approximates the K-line look is nice, one can
achieve the same performance in 3" or 4" cube speakers from several
sources for between $20 and $50 *per pair* (new) or get an even wider
response from "two way" bookshelf speakers for around $70 - $80.

On 2014-09-04 8:37 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

> Sales must be a little slow, price might be adjusted soon being the market
> he playing for.............
>
> Fred/N0AZZ

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Phil Wheeler-2
I agree with Gary. Not a product for me (my
hearing is too limited) but others will see (er,
hear) things differently. As to price, we all have
our views on that. None of us bought Elecraft gear
because it was the least expensive on the market
-- well, I didn't; better said, price was not a
primary decision factor :-)

Phil W7OX

On 9/4/14, 4:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Phonema should have the right to explain and respond to comments raised on
> this reflector in fairness to all i should think.
> I dont mind and i am considering their product seriously.
> My hesitation is about audio quality to help my hearing as the  big 3
> produce dreadful speakers for MY hearing but that is my personal opinion,
> nothing more.
>
> Gary
> Vk1ZZ
> K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
> On 05/09/2014 9:19 AM, "W2BLC" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps Phonema Speakers should argue their case on their own website?
>>
>> Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Gary Gregory-2
I just checked Universal Radio pricing on speakers from the big 3 JA
factories and it appears they sell speakers ranging from 100 to 290 dollars.
maybe, just maybe IF the Phonema speaker is of "Good" quality then the
price is competitive I feel.
I checked the link sent to me from Joe and will give a pair a try. After
all, for $18.60 a pair it won't break the bank and I cannot imagine they
are as a bad as the one in my K3. Again, my ears are not good. Add Tinitus
to the mess I hear and sometimes I feel like i am losing the plot.....those
who know me probably think I lost that years ago...Grin

73 to all

On 5 September 2014 15:04, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Gary. Not a product for me (my hearing is too limited) but
> others will see (er, hear) things differently. As to price, we all have our
> views on that. None of us bought Elecraft gear because it was the least
> expensive on the market -- well, I didn't; better said, price was not a
> primary decision factor :-)
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 9/4/14, 4:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Phonema should have the right to explain and respond to comments raised on
>> this reflector in fairness to all i should think.
>> I dont mind and i am considering their product seriously.
>> My hesitation is about audio quality to help my hearing as the  big 3
>> produce dreadful speakers for MY hearing but that is my personal opinion,
>> nothing more.
>>
>> Gary
>> Vk1ZZ
>> K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
>> On 05/09/2014 9:19 AM, "W2BLC" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Perhaps Phonema Speakers should argue their case on their own website?
>>>
>>> Bill W2BLC K-Line

*Gary - VK1ZZ, K3NHLSkype: Gary.VK1ZZhttp://www.qsl.net/vk1zz
<http://www.qsl.net/vk1zz>Motorhome Portable*
*"Grumpy's House"*

*Elecraft K3KPA500FTKAT500FT*

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> I just checked Universal Radio pricing on speakers from the big 3 JA
> factories and it appears they sell speakers ranging from 100 to 290
> dollars. maybe, just maybe IF the Phonema speaker is of "Good"
> quality then the price is competitive I feel.

Looking at the list of "matching" speakers from YaeComWood at HRO shows
all of them, except the Kenwood SP-23, to include audio filtering at an
approximately $190 price point.  The SP-23 is $85.  The Yaesu SP-9000
is an interesting outlier ($325) but it contains *two* speakers and
filter sets (main and second receivers).

To be competitive, the Phonema product would need to add selectable
low/high cut filtering at the current price point.  Without filtering,
the SP-23 is a more appropriate benchmark (65EUR at current exchange
rates).

> I checked the link sent to me from Joe and will give a pair a try.
> After all, for $18.60 a pair it won't break the bank and I cannot
> imagine they are as a bad as the one in my K3.

For the benefit of others - that link is the Pyle 3.5" cube speakers
on Amazon.  Their specs are 90 - 18000 Hz (comparable to the Phonema).
I've had them on my K3 for a week now and although they are a bit
"light" on the low end compared to two way bookshelf speakers, they
are an excellent performer.  I give them about 6dB of boost in the
200/400 Hz RX EQ and set 50/100 Hz to -16 dB (prevents DAC clipping
at high volume levels) and they even sound acceptable when SWLing on
the broadcast band.

On 2014-09-05 1:21 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> I just checked Universal Radio pricing on speakers from the big 3 JA
> factories and it appears they sell speakers ranging from 100 to 290 dollars.
> maybe, just maybe IF the Phonema speaker is of "Good" quality then the
> price is competitive I feel.
> I checked the link sent to me from Joe and will give a pair a try. After
> all, for $18.60 a pair it won't break the bank and I cannot imagine they
> are as a bad as the one in my K3. Again, my ears are not good. Add Tinitus
> to the mess I hear and sometimes I feel like i am losing the plot.....those
> who know me probably think I lost that years ago...Grin
>
> 73 to all
>

> On 5 September 2014 15:04, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Gary. Not a product for me (my hearing is too limited) but
>> others will see (er, hear) things differently. As to price, we all have our
>> views on that. None of us bought Elecraft gear because it was the least
>> expensive on the market -- well, I didn't; better said, price was not a
>> primary decision factor :-)
>>
>> Phil W7OX
>>
>> On 9/4/14, 4:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> Phonema should have the right to explain and respond to comments raised on
>>> this reflector in fairness to all i should think.
>>> I dont mind and i am considering their product seriously.
>>> My hesitation is about audio quality to help my hearing as the  big 3
>>> produce dreadful speakers for MY hearing but that is my personal opinion,
>>> nothing more.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> Vk1ZZ
>>> K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
>>> On 05/09/2014 9:19 AM, "W2BLC" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Perhaps Phonema Speakers should argue their case on their own website?

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Paul VanOveren-3
I use the Yeasu Vertex mobile speakers (2) with my K-line, and my K3 has
the sub receiver and they seem to work very well. I wear hearing aids and
have tinnitus and when in CW mode, no problems. I use the Yamaha c-500
headset/boom mike when I operate SSB. The speakers are hooked to the back
panel of the K3, thru a splitter from Radio Shack. And the price is right,
$49.00 each.

Paul

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> are as a bad as the one in my K3. Again, my ears are not good. Add Tinitus
>> to the mess I hear and sometimes I feel like i am losing the
>> plot.....those
>> who know me probably think I lost that years ago...Grin
>>
>> 73 to all
>>

>> On 5 September 2014 15:04, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  I agree with Gary. Not a product for me (my hearing is too limited) but
>>> others will see (er, hear) things differently. As to price, we all have
>>> our
>>> views on that. None of us bought Elecraft gear because it was the least
>>> expensive on the market -- well, I didn't; better said, price was not a
>>> primary decision factor :-)
>>>
>>> Phil W7OX
>>>
>>> On 9/4/14, 4:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>>
>>>  Phonema should have the right to explain and respond to comments raised

Dennis Griffin-2
I've used the Yaesu SP-8 for a decade or more with my FT-847 and am quite pleased with it. That pairing allows me to hear a 60 Hz AC hum or the 67 Hz PL tone on a repeater signal, which can be filtered out, if I choose to. I seem to recall that I paid about $150 for it new. It is an example of an OEM external speaker with good range & a full sound, plus some filtering options.

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ

On Sep 5, 2014, at 6:13 AM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I just checked Universal Radio pricing on speakers from the big 3 JA
>> factories and it appears they sell speakers ranging from 100 to 290
>> dollars. maybe, just maybe IF the Phonema speaker is of "Good"
>> quality then the price is competitive I feel.
>
> Looking at the list of "matching" speakers from YaeComWood at HRO shows
> all of them, except the Kenwood SP-23, to include audio filtering at an
> approximately $190 price point.  The SP-23 is $85.  The Yaesu SP-9000
> is an interesting outlier ($325) but it contains *two* speakers and
> filter sets (main and second receivers).

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Every compact (low-profile), non-powered, front-facing speaker I've ever tested with the K3 has fallen short of the K3's own built-in speaker performance at low audio frequencies. The speaker in the top cover has the benefit of a very large planar mounting surface. It is also very sensitive (95 dB SPL, 1 kHz @ 1 m). Finally, the top-cover orientation reinforces sound when the radio is operated near a wall.

External speakers that are relatively tall, such as 8"Hx4Wx4D" bookshelf speakers, can perform as well as the internal speaker as long as their resonating enclosures are large enough, and/or have some sort of acoustic porting to make up for small geometry. But they also need good sensitivity if unpowered. They can be very inexpensive and look great with the K-Line.

Front-facing, non-powered speakers the same height as the K3 that sound just as good at the low frequency end may be a theoretical possibility, but I haven't found any yet.

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Bill-3
A point that many may be missing is the RX Equalizer in the K3. I have
found that using nearly any speaker you can make setting adjustments
that will result in satisfactory audio. Keyword is satisfactory.

My hearing is not exemplary by any means, so I have chosen to use
amplified external "computer type" speakers that are RF proof. I have
both the Creative T10s and a pair of Behringer MS40s. Both do a good job
and both are treble/bass adjustable. My preference is the MS40s - they
are room filling without blowing out the walls - making them excellent
for my rag-chew operations. They are a little large for many
installations, hence the reason I mentioned the T10s. The MS40s are two
channel, so I run another rig through them as well as the K3.

Now back to the point: These speakers do a fine job, but by using the RX
Equalizer - they do a super job. Tailoring your receive audio is very
important for those with lousy hearing, for rooms with poor acoustics,
and to accommodate less then perfect speakers.

Good speakers are not cheap - neither is the K3. The best should get the
best - resulting in the best user experience.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

On 2014-09-05 10:53 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
 > Every compact (low-profile), non-powered, front-facing speaker I've
 > ever tested with the K3 has fallen short of the K3's own built-in
 > speaker performance at low audio frequencies.

While that may be the case if the K3 is used in isolation, if there is
a shelf above it, the internal K3 speaker is severely crippled.  I am
also *not* a fan of excess bass; I routinely set the 50/100 Hz EQ bands
to -16 dB and set the DSP Low frequency limit to 200 Hz for all modes.
200 Hz is comfortably above the 90 - 100 Hz cutoff for small speakers
and makes audio much easier to understand by eliminating the rumble
that contributes nothing to intelligibility.

 > Front-facing, non-powered speakers the same height as the K3 that
 > sound just as good at the low frequency end may be a theoretical
 > possibility, but I haven't found any yet.

A front facing 3"x5" oval speaker or 3.5" circular speaker in a P3 case
lined with acoustic damping and a properly sized rear port would most
likely have excellent low-end response.  Add a crossover and feed an
external subwoofer if you really want the low end but be prepared to go
to a powered system instead of passive.

On 2014-09-05 10:53 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Every compact (low-profile), non-powered, front-facing speaker I've
> ever tested with the K3 has fallen short of the K3's own built-in
> speaker performance at low audio frequencies. The speaker in the top
> cover has the benefit of a very large planar mounting surface. It is
> also very sensitive (95 dB SPL, 1 kHz @ 1 m). Finally, the top-cover
> orientation reinforces sound when the radio is operated near a wall.
>
> External speakers that are relatively tall, such as 8"Hx4Wx4D"
> bookshelf speakers, can perform as well as the internal speaker as
> long as their resonating enclosures are large enough, and/or have
> some sort of acoustic porting to make up for small geometry. But they
> also need good sensitivity if unpowered. They can be very inexpensive
> and look great with the K-Line.
>
> Front-facing, non-powered speakers the same height as the K3 that
> sound just as good at the low frequency end may be a theoretical
> possibility, but I haven't found any yet.
>
> 73, Wayne N6KR

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Rick WA6NHC
The Motorola (black box, 4" square, plus mount) mobile speaker sounds
good to these semi-deaf ears.  They're one of the best communication
speakers ever made, if you find one, snag it; you'll be happy.  And if
you actually use them mobile, they take a LOT of accidental abuse
(kicking, dropping, spills).

73,
Rick wa6nhc

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Dave KW4M
Agreed.  I had to make a mount for mine.

See here.

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Joe Carter
I picked up a pair of Bose 161 speakers at their outlet for $80 - fantastic for my 64 year old ears.

Joe, w9jc

On Sep 4, 2014, at 9:01 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Powered speakers in the Motorhome is just not going to happen.
> I want a non-powered speaker that will work nicely with my k3.
> YMMV of course....
>
> Gary
> Vk1ZZ
> K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
> On 05/09/2014 10:37 AM, "Fred Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sales must be a little slow, price might be adjusted soon being the market
>> he playing for.............
>>
>> Fred/N0AZZ

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Lu Romero - W4LT
Joe, et al:

Awfully expensive, but, hey, they match the K-Line...

This is sort of like those beautifully machined knob sets... $250 for a VFO
knob that probably cost less than $20 to make!

But then, yes, Im guilty of accessorizing as well... I had my callsign
engraved on my K3's display window and it cost me $25, so I wont throw
Bencher Paddles in a glass Shack  :)

I wish Phonema the best of luck... And I dont argue that its a lovingly
crafted accessory whose designer is very proud of.  However, for my money, I
will continue to listen through my very nice sounding Yamaha YST-M101
powered speakers and my well worn Yamaha CM500 headset.

Yes, the speakers dont match, but the do sound good, and dont pick up RF.
And that is the beauty of a free market!

73

Lu Romero - W4LT
Tampa, FL
K3, P3, KRX3, KAT500, KPA500 and a K1 (which will soon be for sale)

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 21:08:18 -0400
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

On 2014-09-04 8:37 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
 > Sales must be a little slow,

I would expect them to be slow given a list price of 129EUR (106EUR
Export) plus shipping and the cost of export documentation.

Although a case that approximates the K-line look is nice, one can
achieve the same performance in 3" or 4" cube speakers from several
sources for between $20 and $50 *per pair* (new) or get an even wider
response from "two way" bookshelf speakers for around $70 - $80.

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

Grant Youngman

On Sep 5, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Luis V. Romero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is sort of like those beautifully machined knob sets... $250 for a VFO knob that probably cost less than $20 to make!
>
> But then, yes, Im guilty of accessorizing as well... I had my callsign engraved on my K3's display window and it cost me $25, so I wont throw Bencher Paddles in a glass Shack  :)

I suspect you underestimate the cost of materials, CNC milling, finish machining/polishing, coating, and QC of the knobs.  But — we all spend too much money on what might seem to be “little” things.

I got a tip from someone on a boatanchor list several years ago about RCA (sold by Radio Shack) 40-5035 bookshelf speakers.  These are just slightly larger (and older) than the common Minimus 7 things, but play a whole lot better.  I found several of them over time on the auction site, and use them on virtually all of my BA radios — and a pair on the K3.   Very nice audio quality with reasonable low end and efficient enough for the K3 to drive them easily.  They have a 5 inch cone and a mylar ribbon (Linaeum) tweeter.  Nice little speaker.  They still show up from time to time.  There’s a 40-5037 that shows up more frequently and is just a bit larger, but I don’t have any experience with them.

Potato Potahto … :)

Grant NQ5T

Re: Phonema Speaker for K3

mcduffie
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 21:09:59 -0500, GRANT YOUNGMAN wrote:

> I got a tip from someone on a boatanchor list several years ago about RCA
> (sold by Radio Shack) 40-5035 bookshelf speakers.

I've just been reading along on this thread, and one speaker I would mention is
another RS model, albeit an oldie.  I don't have a K3, so can't tell you how it
would sound on one, but the RS MC-800 (40-1975) is the best sounding one I've
had on my radios.  The low end does very well down below 50Hz, ramping up at
about 20-25Hz, and making lots of good power over 50Hz.  I love it.  To my worn
out ears, the full range is important to me.  I can't hear high end anyway, but
can still hear when I go out past 3K on the receiver.  It sports a 7" sub-woofer
and 2" tweeter, also a port.  The speaker is rated 100-20K, but does better than
that on the low end.  Full resolution is best for these ears to decipher the
overall signal.  So-called communications receivers like Motorola or GE mobile
speakers sound terrible to me.

To each his own.  :o)

Gary