Postal Price Increase

hhoyt
Hi all,

Starting January 17, 2016, the USPS increased postal rates as much as 16%:

http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/

Pro Audio Engineering will hold our Priority shipping rates at the old
price until the end of January.

Thank you!

Howie - WA4PSC
www.proaudioeng.com

Re: Postal Price Increase

KD6QZX
Howdy Howie!

Hey how do you do your shipping is it via PayPal or do you have some other personal postal set up?    I have just added new K3 /K3s and P3 replacement side panels and I have to use the Medium Flat rate box for this.  I have had some international orders for just the K3 sides at 49.95 but they get hit with over 60 bucks in shipping fees before this fee increase.

I am still having plastic issues and have been through 6 shops now still trying to get parts made.

Hope all is well with you and yours.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

73 Scott AK6Q

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:05 AM, Howard Hoyt [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Starting January 17, 2016, the USPS increased postal rates as much as 16%:

http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/

Pro Audio Engineering will hold our Priority shipping rates at the old
price until the end of January.

Thank you!

Howie - WA4PSC
www.proaudioeng.com

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Postal-Price-Increase-tp7612833.html
To unsubscribe from Elecraft, click here.
NAML

K3 #348 KX3 #2499

Re: Postal Price Increase

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> I have had some international orders for just the K3 sides at 49.95
 > but they get hit with over 60 bucks in shipping fees before this fee
 > increase.

International shipping was absurd *before* this last increase.  I had
foreign customers pay nearly as much to ship a cable as the cost of the
cable itself.  USPS may be pricing themselves right out of business.
With Regional Rate packages no longer available to small shippers
(those who do not mail more than 50 pieces at a time or pay a monthly
fee to a third party like Stamps.com, Endicia, etc.) and the absurd
increases on international, it's just getting out of hand.

On 1/20/2016 11:33 AM, KD6QZX wrote:

> Howdy Howie!
> Hey how do you do your shipping is it via PayPal or do you have some other personal postal set up?    I have just added new K3 /K3s and P3 replacement side panels and I have to use the Medium Flat rate box for this.  I have had some international orders for just the K3 sides at 49.95 but they get hit with over 60 bucks in shipping fees before this fee increase.
> I am still having plastic issues and have been through 6 shops now still trying to get parts made.
> Hope all is well with you and yours.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!
> 73 Scott AK6Q
>
>      On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:05 AM, Howard Hoyt [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>    Hi all,
>
> Starting January 17, 2016, the USPS increased postal rates as much as 16%:
>
> http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/
>

> Pro Audio Engineering will hold our Priority shipping rates at the old
> price until the end of January.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Howie - WA4PSC
> www.proaudioeng.com

Re: Postal Price Increase

ha4zd
Just bought a BCD-14 and paid more for shipping than the PCB cost. Might
have bad long term effect on manufacturers also.
73, István ha4zd

Re: Postal Price Increase

i agree that International shipping is expensive (BTW, that does not
include Alaska, Hawaii or US possessions such as Puerto Rica).

Domestic shipping is not as bad.  USPS has raised the rates on their
Flat Rate shipping by a substantial amount, but the rates on USPS
non-flat rate has not been increased as much.  Before shipping a
package, weigh the package and check the USPS.com price calculator to
see if your package is less expensive via normal Priority Mail or by
Flat Rate - if the distance is short or the weight is small, regular
Priority Mail may be less than the Flat Rate prices.
I do check and give my customers the benefit of whichever the lower rate
may be.  Flat Rate is not always the most economical.  With non-flat
rate, the package size makes a difference - if the dimensions do not
exceed 12 inches in any direction, it will garner the lowest cost.  I
use many of the 12X12X8 boxes that are provided by USPS at no cost for
shipping when the Flat Rate shipping costs more than regular priority
mail.  That size is adequate for the Elecraft K2 and smaller
transceivers that I repair.

Still for international shipments, USPS may be less expensive than UPS
in the long run.  UPS charges a "brokerage fee" for international
shipments that may be anywhere between $30 and $100. That must be paid
by the recipient.  USPS does not impose those same fees.  In other
words, even though the USPS international rates are high, it may be much
less than UPS to the customer.  I do not know of such fees for DHL and
FedEx international shipments because I have no experience with them.

I have not done comparisons with the new USPS Priority Mail rates, but
with the prior rates, USPS Priority Mail was only a bit more than UPS
Ground, and delivery times (domestically) were 2 to 3 days.  UPS Ground
rates were a bit lower, but delivery times were 5 to 7 days.  UPS 3 day
select was more expensive than USPS Priority. So if delivery times are a
criteria, then USPS Priority Mail may still be the choice.

>> I have had some international orders for just the K3 sides at 49.95
> > but they get hit with over 60 bucks in shipping fees before this fee
> > increase.
>
> International shipping was absurd *before* this last increase.  I had
> foreign customers pay nearly as much to ship a cable as the cost of the
> cable itself.  USPS may be pricing themselves right out of business.
> With Regional Rate packages no longer available to small shippers
> (those who do not mail more than 50 pieces at a time or pay a monthly
> fee to a third party like Stamps.com, Endicia, etc.) and the absurd
> increases on international, it's just getting out of hand.
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Postal Price Increase

Jeff Schmidt
Yes, but think about it - fuel prices are... oh, wait. nevermind!

;^)

>> I have had some international orders for just the K3 sides at 49.95
> > but they get hit with over 60 bucks in shipping fees before this fee
> > increase.
>
> International shipping was absurd *before* this last increase.  I had
> foreign customers pay nearly as much to ship a cable as the cost of the
> cable itself.  USPS may be pricing themselves right out of business.
> With Regional Rate packages no longer available to small shippers
> (those who do not mail more than 50 pieces at a time or pay a monthly
> fee to a third party like Stamps.com, Endicia, etc.) and the absurd
> increases on international, it's just getting out of hand.
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV
-- Jeff, KC9WSJ EN52wf

Re: Postal Price Increase

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Folks - we're drifting way OT. Let's close this thread now in the interest of
controlling list volume and overload for others.

73,

Eric
Moderator
/elecraft.com/