Power problem

Bill Turner-2
My K3 has developed a power problem. I first noticed it on 20 meters.
It would not reach 100 watts, but was stuck around 60 watts even using a
dummy load, and the power would "pump" up and down about ten watts.

I then went through the power calibration procedure and it failed at 5
watts with the error message "Calibration failed because the transmit
power did not reach the expected level".

Time for a trip back to the factory?  Suggestions?

73, Bill W6WRT

Re: Power problem

Clive Lorton

On 13/05/2014 04:59, Bill Turner wrote:
> I then went through the power calibration procedure and it failed at 5
> watts with the error message "Calibration failed because the transmit
> power did not reach the expected level".
Bill,
I had this problem while building my K3 recently.

I spoke with the factory as it was fine when first tested.

It turned out that I had not tightened all the screws down when
refitting the PA. Once tightened down it came back to life.  During my
conversation I was also told to check that the screws on the regulators
(bottom panel) are tight enough.

73 Clive G8POC

Re: Power problem

Bill Turner-2
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 5/13/2014 12:19 AM, Clive Lorton wrote:

> Bill,
> I had this problem while building my K3 recently.
>
> I spoke with the factory as it was fine when first tested.
>
> It turned out that I had not tightened all the screws down when
> refitting the PA. Once tightened down it came back to life. During my
> conversation I was also told to check that the screws on the
> regulators (bottom panel) are tight enough.
>
> 73 Clive G8POC

REPLY:

Thanks Clive, will do.

73, Bill W6WRT