ProAudio Engineering KX33 Power Supply

Ken G Kopp
Ted,

I have no experience with powering a K2, but I have one that's powering
my KX3 and PX3 24/7.  Am not aware of any noise from the supply and
it runs almost cool to the touch.

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Dauer, Edward <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone have experience with the PAE KX33, particularly with a base K2?

Re: ProAudio Engineering KX33 Power Supply

hhoyt
Hi Ed,

Response to step load changes is a mostly unpublished parameter of power
supplies in general.  Both linear and switching supplies have time
constants in the voltage control circuitry, and both can be poorly
designed.

Designing a linear regulator can be potentially more simple, as most of
the components affecting the steady-state and dynamic characteristics of
the supply are designed into the control IC and a few external
components.  This takes most of the performance characteristics out of
the hands of the manufacturer of the supply. Indeed most linear
regulated supplies like the Astron are mere executions of application
note designs offered by the manufacturers of the regulator ICs.

The performance of switchers can depend more heavily on design
execution, as the characteristics of the inductive and filter components
can affect the regulation.  Our testing has shown the Kx33 running 14.2V
to have less than 10mV of overshoot when returning to receive mode from
a 2.7A KX3 transmit load.  At least one inexpensive switching supply
spiked to over 19V in this same test.  This is caused by the response
time of the switcher's duty cycle servo to output node voltage changes
and is not to be confused with its output impedance causing voltage drop
with load.  We are working on an addendum to the test reports published
on our website which will show load step response of competing supplies
along with currently available ripple and static voltage regulation specs.

Cheers & 73,

Howie - WA4PSC