Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

Dennis  McAlpine
I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC for
both DXLab and n1mm.  Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab.  On n1mm, this
seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has been in
standby without transmitting for a while.  I also have to run the USB at
19200 rather than 38400.  I updated the Prolific driver with no effect.
Anyone got a solution to this problem?  Barring that, what are people using
for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB for many
years now? Thanks.

73,

Dennis, K2SX

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

Elecraft mailing list
Maybe the best move is to go with the latest FTDI serial -to-usb cable.
They have improved quite a bit over 6 years or more.
73, Doug -- K0DXV

> Elecraft switched to FTDI chips in mid-2010, so the Prolific driver isn't used for more recent cables. This page has drivers for both chips.
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm#drvrs
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
>
> On May 27, 2014, at 9:11 AM, "Dennis McAlpine" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC for
>> both DXLab and n1mm.  Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
>> frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab.  On n1mm, this
>> seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has been in
>> standby without transmitting for a while.  I also have to run the USB at
>> 19200 rather than 38400.  I updated the Prolific driver with no effect.
>> Anyone got a solution to this problem?  Barring that, what are people using
>> for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB for many
>> years now? Thanks.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Dennis, K2SX

> Walter Underwood

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

Paul Milward
I had a computer failure. The old prolific KUSB would not work at all on new computer, even after loading newer drivers. A new FTDI KUSB from Elecraft solved the problems.
Nu4c

Doug Person via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Maybe the best move is to go with the latest FTDI serial -to-usb cable.
>They have improved quite a bit over 6 years or more.
>73, Doug -- K0DXV
>
>On 5/27/2014 1:01 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
>> Elecraft switched to FTDI chips in mid-2010, so the Prolific driver isn't used for more recent cables. This page has drivers for both chips.
>>
>> http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm#drvrs
>>
>> wunder
>> K6WRU
>>
>> On May 27, 2014, at 9:11 AM, "Dennis McAlpine" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC for
>>> both DXLab and n1mm.  Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
>>> frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab.  On n1mm, this
>>> seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has been in
>>> standby without transmitting for a while.  I also have to run the USB at
>>> 19200 rather than 38400.  I updated the Prolific driver with no effect.
>>> Anyone got a solution to this problem?  Barring that, what are people using
>>> for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB for many
>>> years now? Thanks.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Dennis, K2SX

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>> --
>> Walter Underwood
>> [hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

Jim Sheldon
Dennis,
What Doug said and the fact that the Chinese plagiarized the Prolific
chip a while back but didn't get an exact copy, so Prolific fixed their
drivers to recognize the fake chips and stop working.  That seems to
have caused some people problems with even the legitimate ones like
Elecraft sold originally.  I wound up getting a USB programmer for one
of the TYT handi-talkies that had the fake Prolific chip in it.  Screwed
up everything for a while.  Then I found out that the TYT used the same
type of cable the Kenwood ones do and I went to a real RS-232
programming cable cable from Kenwood that worked just fine.

That could be the problem you're running into.

Jim - W0EB

>Maybe the best move is to go with the latest FTDI serial -to-usb cable.
>They have improved quite a bit over 6 years or more.
>73, Doug -- K0DXV
>
>On 5/27/2014 1:01 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
>>Elecraft switched to FTDI chips in mid-2010, so the Prolific driver
>>isn't used for more recent cables. This page has drivers for both
>>chips.
>>
>>http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm#drvrs
>>
>>wunder
>>K6WRU
>>
>>On May 27, 2014, at 9:11 AM, "Dennis McAlpine"
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC
>>>for
>>>both DXLab and n1mm. Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
>>>frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab. On n1mm,
>>>this
>>>seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has
>>>been in
>>>standby without transmitting for a while. I also have to run the USB
>>>at
>>>19200 rather than 38400. I updated the Prolific driver with no
>>>effect.
>>>Anyone got a solution to this problem? Barring that, what are people
>>>using
>>>for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB
>>>for many
>>>years now? Thanks.
>>>
>>>73,
>>>
>>>Dennis, K2SX

>>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>>Message delivered to [hidden email]
>>--
>>Walter Underwood
>>[hidden email]

>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>Message delivered to [hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

George Danner
My ancient Prolific USB to serial converters have been ported from XP to
Windows 7 and recently to Windows 8.1.
They work flawlessly - both versions of Windows installed the proper drivers
with no direct intervention from me.

You might uninstall the USB converter, unplug it, reboot and then plug in
the converter and see if Windows installs it correctly.
I have had success with this "repair" for problem devices in the past;
including a back-up drive with Windows 7.
73
George
AI4VZ

wrote:

> I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC for
> both DXLab and n1mm.  Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
> frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab.  On n1mm, this
> seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has been in
> standby without transmitting for a while.  I also have to run the USB at
> 19200 rather than 38400.  I updated the Prolific driver with no effect.
> Anyone got a solution to this problem?  Barring that, what are people
> using
> for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB for
> many
> years now? Thanks.
> > 73,
> > Dennis, K2SX

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

W2RMS
Hi all!
After seeing all the potential issues with various USB-to-SERIAL converters i decided to go a different route:
picked up this Gearmo 4-port dongle on Amazon for $48.
It uses an FTDI chipset and a single USB port gives me 4 DB9 RS232 ports.
It also seems to keep the COM port numbering constant.
Oh, and i'm using it on my MacBook Pro, running Windows 7 (32bit) in Parallels.
Works famously so far (been a few months now).
Hooked it up via the LP-Bridge program, and now i can turn the radio off (K3) without HRD crashing.
I'm only using 2 COM ports right now: one for the LP-Bridge/K3 and another for this ERC rotor ad--on card that i just assembled last weekend.
Brought my ancient CDE HAM IV control box into the 21st century.

Anyways, this Gearmo dongle seems like a really good alternative for Macs and PCs that don't have native RS232 ports.
Here's a link to where i got mine from: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETDC8K/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Seems like the price had changed, too. Its now $44.59 with Amazon Prime. Nice!
__________________
Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
[hidden email]

On May 27, 2014, at 7:17 PM, GDanner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My ancient Prolific USB to serial converters have been ported from XP to Windows 7 and recently to Windows 8.1.
> They work flawlessly - both versions of Windows installed the proper drivers with no direct intervention from me.
>
> You might uninstall the USB converter, unplug it, reboot and then plug in the converter and see if Windows installs it correctly.
> I have had success with this "repair" for problem devices in the past; including a back-up drive with Windows 7.
> 73
> George
> AI4VZ
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Walter Underwood
> Elecraft switched to FTDI chips in mid-2010, so the Prolific driver isn't used for more recent cables. This page has drivers for both chips.
> http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm#drvrs
> wunder
> K6WRU
>
> On May 27, 2014, at 9:11 AM, "Dennis McAlpine" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC for
>> both DXLab and n1mm.  Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
>> frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab.  On n1mm, this
>> seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has been in
>> standby without transmitting for a while.  I also have to run the USB at
>> 19200 rather than 38400.  I updated the Prolific driver with no effect.
>> Anyone got a solution to this problem?  Barring that, what are people using
>> for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB for many
>> years now? Thanks.
>> > 73,
>> > Dennis, K2SX

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

Michael Walker
Stan

Nice find.  The 4 porter is the way to go for that price.  I've used those,
moxa's and lantronix devices for as well.  Nothing Prolific anymore.

For my remote base, I have a $100 used 4 port Lantronix serial over ip
device that has been rock solid for 3 years now.  Even though it is in the
same building, the ability to not have serial issues on a remote base is so
key.

As you found out, you can search on Amazon (both US and Canada) for FTDI
and find a number of great devices.  StarTech is another good vender.

Mike va3mw

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
> >> I have been using the KUSB USB/serial converter between my K3 and PC for
> >> both DXLab and n1mm.  Lately, I have been having trouble with erratic
> >> frequency readings, mainly on n1mm but sometimes on DXLab.  On n1mm,
> this
> >> seems to happen mainly when I change bands or after the radio has been
> in
> >> standby without transmitting for a while.  I also have to run the USB at
> >> 19200 rather than 38400.  I updated the Prolific driver with no effect.
> >> Anyone got a solution to this problem?  Barring that, what are people
> using
> >> for a USB/serial converter now days since I have used the old KUSB for
> many
> >> years now? Thanks.

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

ke9uw
I bought a couple refurbished Edgeport 4 port serial to usb converters. Around $40 to  $60 each. They installed, or the Win 8 installed them without fanfare, and they work well. Enough ports for the entire K line with a couple left over.
Chuck, KE9UW

Re: Problems with erratic USB/serial connection

N8LP
Thanks for the info, Sal. Sounds like a nice find.

Larry N8LP