QLF?

Edward A. Dauer
I just learned there will be a QLF contest at Frostfest in Richmond in February.  (Our son and his family live there, so the trip wouldn’t be entirely fanciful.)  If I enter the contest I’ll want to train for it seriously.  Having never done QLF before, I am open to advice.  First, the equipment – do the contestants each bring their own “key” or is there some contraption everyone has to use, to equalize the challenge?  How about a KXPD3, for the low power single toe division?  What’s the duration of the transmission?  What characteristics will the judges be most attentive to – would a snazzy sock design give an unfair advantage?

And yes, Elecraft reportedly will have a table there too.

Ted, KN1CBR

Re: QLF?

N5GE
When I lived in Oklahoma City, the yearly ham fest had a QLF contest.
Participants did not need to bring a key.  The club had a straight key
that was about four or five feet long and about two feet wide.  All
contestants used that key.

It was quite fun to watch ;o)

Good luck, Ted

Tom,

N5GE

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 05:30:01 +0000, you wrote:

>I just learned there will be a QLF contest at Frostfest in Richmond in February.  (Our son and his family live there, so the trip wouldn’t be entirely fanciful.)  If I enter the contest I’ll want to train for it seriously.  Having never done QLF before, I am open to advice.  First, the equipment – do the contestants each bring their own “key” or is there some contraption everyone has to use, to equalize the challenge?  How about a KXPD3, for the low power single toe division?  What’s the duration of the transmission?  What characteristics will the judges be most attentive to – would a snazzy sock design give an unfair advantage?
>
>And yes, Elecraft reportedly will have a table there too.
>
>Ted, KN1CBR

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: QLF?

Elecraft mailing list
We have a QLF contest each year at the Tidelands Amateur Radio Society in Texas City, Texas.In the past, we have used a door bell buzzer and a regular CW hand key.  It works well, but last year we had a participant complain that the buzzer was too loud, but one of the judges complained that he  could not hear well enough when the announcer activated the PA.  I think this year that we will allow hearing protection for the participants and let the judges set the volume.  Some times you can't please everyone! Willis 'Cookie' Cooke,Tidelands VP and Hamfest Chairman for 2016 K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS

When I lived in Oklahoma City, the yearly ham fest had a QLF contest.
Participants did not need to bring a key.  The club had a straight key
that was about four or five feet long and about two feet wide.  All
contestants used that key.

It was quite fun to watch ;o)

Good luck, Ted

Tom,

N5GE

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 05:30:01 +0000, you wrote:

>I just learned there will be a QLF contest at Frostfest in Richmond in February.  (Our son and his family live there, so the trip wouldn’t be entirely fanciful.)  If I enter the contest I’ll want to train for it seriously.  Having never done QLF before, I am open to advice.  First, the equipment – do the contestants each bring their own “key” or is there some contraption everyone has to use, to equalize the challenge?  How about a KXPD3, for the low power single toe division?  What’s the duration of the transmission?  What characteristics will the judges be most attentive to – would a snazzy sock design give an unfair advantage?
>
>And yes, Elecraft reportedly will have a table there too.
>
>Ted, KN1CBR

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: QLF?

Someone in the Nor Cal Contest Club is purported to be the custodian of
a fairly large key, used at IDXC in Visalia [I think] for "butt sending"
in the occasional QLF contest.  FWIW, every QLF contest I've entered
and/or seen in the last 60+ years always provided the "key" to forestall
complaints about fairness.  They didn't actually forestall any
complaints which were numerous and somewhat raucous, but it was an attempt.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016