QRP

Richard Thorpe-2
QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the Elecraft 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and shipping  I was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt KX3 is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.

K6CG

Re: QRP

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Why spend more when you could spend less?
http://www.amazon.com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the Elecraft
> 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and shipping  I
> was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt KX3
> is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.
>
> K6CG

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

Rick McClelland, AA5S
I hope that previous reply did not seem overly facetious.  I own an RM
Italy amp and I'm taking a close look at this KXPA100 so I'm well aware of
the cost/benefit ratio for less expensive amplifiers.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Rick McClelland, AA5S <[hidden email]

--
Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

N4EUK
I'll keep my K2/100 and just use the KX3 for QRP.  Wonder why the amp is so much more than for the K2 100 amp?

Steve, N4EUK

Sent from my digital toaster

On Jun 18, 2013, at 2:37 PM, "Rick McClelland, AA5S" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why spend more when you could spend less?
> http://www.amazon.com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the Elecraft
>> 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and shipping  I
>> was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt KX3
>> is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.
>>
>> K6CG

> Rick McClelland, AA5S
> Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Yes, all that is true, but the point is there are less expensive amplifiers
available.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Maybe because the description of the KL500V says "This amp does not work
> well with Flex or KX3."
>
> And because the amp is not certified for US amateur radio, despite the
> headline. The description says, "These units are for industrial,
> scientific, medical, or export use only."
>
> Finally, it does not appear to have any output filtering at all.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
>
> On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:37 AM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:
>
> > Why spend more when you could spend less?
> >
> http://www.amazon.com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the
> Elecraft
> >> 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and
> shipping  I
> >> was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt
> KX3
> >> is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.
> >>
> >> K6CG
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >>

> > --
> > Rick McClelland, AA5S
> > Fort Collins, CO

> Walter Underwood

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

On 6/18/2013 11:27 AM, Richard Thorpe wrote:
> 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00

My arithmetic says $1,000 as kits for the amp and tuner. +$100 factory
built.  These kits are so simple, and the components are factory tested,
so it's silly not to take advantage of the discount.  Likewise, the KX3
is $900 as a kit. If you're going to backpack with it or use it with
random wires, you'll want the QRP tuner, $170, and the paddle $130.

Add the cost of the KX3 and it's still a LOT less than a K3, AND you
have both a world class 100W transceiver, a world class 10W rig for
backpacking, or to throw in your carry-on for various trips.  And you
can use the KX3 as a "mobile head" with the 100W amp buried in the trunk
or under a seat. Or you can put the KX3 on a desktop and the 100W amp
under the desk.

Thoughts on the KXPA100 [was: QRP]

Hi Richard,

It's true that there are lower-cost alternatives to the KXPA100, including backpack-style 30-50 W amps. The latter would be a good choice if you're looking for minimum size and weight in an amp.

Many competing 100-W amps don't cover 160-6 meters, or don't make it to 100 W on 6 meters. Many have poor IMD performance on some bands (we bought one of each and tested them in our lab; some were truly awful). None of them offer a companion internal ATU.

We were very aggressive in our efforts to minimize cost, but we had some non-negotiable objectives: 160-6 meter coverage at full power; individual low-pass filters on every band to optimize for low transmit IMD; extensive monitoring circuitry to ensure safe operation; a large heatsink to eliminate the need for fans; and full integration with the KX3, including automatic control of the ATU option and its dual antenna jacks. We included a carrying handle and mounting points for mobile installation--as far as I know, these are unique to the KXPA100.

The KXPA100 isn't for everyone, but it does meet our stringent performance and functional objectives.

On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> QRP is looking better….

Re: QRP

Mike WA8BXN
Rick,

From the web site you reference:
(This amp does not work well with Flex or KX3)

73- Mike WA8BXN

Why spend more when you could spend less?
http://www.amazon
com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Re: Thoughts on the KXPA100 [was: QRP]

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Regarding Wayne's points.  Compared to the KXPA100, the RM Italy 150v (lots
of used ones available for $150) doesn't have 6 meters, has loud fans &
relays, suffers from diminishing power output on the bands above 20 meters
and the IMD performance isn't acceptable unless used in the low power
setting.  I think it is qutie obvious that, despite the cost, the KXPA100
is a much better piece of equipment.  I'd love to replace my boat anchor
with the KXPA100 but I just spent my spare ham funds on my wife's birthday
present this morning.  Maybe another day.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> It's true that there are lower-cost alternatives to the KXPA100, including
> backpack-style 30-50 W amps. The latter would be a good choice if you're
> looking for minimum size and weight in an amp.
>
> Many competing 100-W amps don't cover 160-6 meters, or don't make it to
> 100 W on 6 meters. Many have poor IMD performance on some bands (we bought
> one of each and tested them in our lab; some were truly awful). None of
> them offer a companion internal ATU.
>
> We were very aggressive in our efforts to minimize cost, but we had some
> non-negotiable objectives: 160-6 meter coverage at full power; individual
> low-pass filters on every band to optimize for low transmit IMD; extensive
> monitoring circuitry to ensure safe operation; a large heatsink to
> eliminate the need for fans; and full integration with the KX3, including
> automatic control of the ATU option and its dual antenna jacks. We included
> a carrying handle and mounting points for mobile installation--as far as I
> know, these are unique to the KXPA100.
>
> The KXPA100 isn't for everyone, but it does meet our stringent performance
> and functional objectives.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > QRP is looking better….

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

Raymond Sills
Hi Rick:

That looks to me to be a warmed-over CB amp.  And, I have no idea how
well RM Italy supports their products.  They may be as good as
Elecraft... or they may not.  But, I =know= how Elecraft supports
their products and their customers... and how quickly they do it.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

On Jun 18, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:

> Why spend more when you could spend less?
> http://www.amazon.com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Re: Thoughts on the KXPA100 [was: QRP]

Keith Heimbold
I had a RM Italy amp for about two months and it was horrible. I tried it in my mobile and it had all sorts of issues and only really worked on 15m. I would not recommend it to anyone. I sold it for 1/3 of the price I paid for it warning the guy about it profusely. He has been using it now and then with little issue with his flex 1500 at his home QTH. Maybe that makes a difference but I could not recommend one to anyone.

On the other hand my THP HL450B is a sweet ride. The only thing I don't like about it is no 6m. With 10W input I was getting 200W output on all HF bands it covers.  It is probably the most expensive solid state amp $ per watt in the market. So that would probably keep some people away.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Jun 18, 2013, at 12:13 PM, "Rick McClelland, AA5S" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regarding Wayne's points.  Compared to the KXPA100, the RM Italy 150v (lots
> of used ones available for $150) doesn't have 6 meters, has loud fans &
> relays, suffers from diminishing power output on the bands above 20 meters
> and the IMD performance isn't acceptable unless used in the low power
> setting.  I think it is qutie obvious that, despite the cost, the KXPA100
> is a much better piece of equipment.  I'd love to replace my boat anchor
> with the KXPA100 but I just spent my spare ham funds on my wife's birthday
> present this morning.  Maybe another day.
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> It's true that there are lower-cost alternatives to the KXPA100, including
>> backpack-style 30-50 W amps. The latter would be a good choice if you're
>> looking for minimum size and weight in an amp.
>>
>> Many competing 100-W amps don't cover 160-6 meters, or don't make it to
>> 100 W on 6 meters. Many have poor IMD performance on some bands (we bought
>> one of each and tested them in our lab; some were truly awful). None of
>> them offer a companion internal ATU.
>>
>> We were very aggressive in our efforts to minimize cost, but we had some
>> non-negotiable objectives: 160-6 meter coverage at full power; individual
>> low-pass filters on every band to optimize for low transmit IMD; extensive
>> monitoring circuitry to ensure safe operation; a large heatsink to
>> eliminate the need for fans; and full integration with the KX3, including
>> automatic control of the ATU option and its dual antenna jacks. We included
>> a carrying handle and mounting points for mobile installation--as far as I
>> know, these are unique to the KXPA100.
>>
>> The KXPA100 isn't for everyone, but it does meet our stringent performance
>> and functional objectives.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>

>> On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> QRP is looking better….

> Rick McClelland, AA5S
> Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Guys, I'm not advocating the purchase the RM Italy, or any amp, other than
the KXPA100.  My point was that there are many other amps available, even
at very low cost, among which one may choose the quality/features/benefits
that suits one's budget.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Ray Sills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rick:
>
> That looks to me to be a warmed-over CB amp.  And, I have no idea how well
> RM Italy supports their products.  They may be as good as Elecraft... or
> they may not.  But, I =know= how Elecraft supports their products and their
> customers... and how quickly they do it.
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
> KX3 #211
>

> On Jun 18, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:
>
>  Why spend more when you could spend less?
>> http://www.amazon.com/RM-**Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/**
>> B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1<http://www.amazon.com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1>

> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

David Gilbert

That's not actually true if they don't meet specs or are illegal.

Dave   AB7E

On 6/18/2013 11:47 AM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:
> Yes, all that is true, but the point is there are less expensive amplifiers
> available.
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Maybe because the description of the KL500V says "This amp does not work
>> well with Flex or KX3."
>>
>> And because the amp is not certified for US amateur radio, despite the
>> headline. The description says, "These units are for industrial,
>> scientific, medical, or export use only."
>>
>> Finally, it does not appear to have any output filtering at all.
>>
>> wunder
>> K6WRU

Re: QRP

tnnyswy
WHY! Why, oh Why?  When someone take the Time and Effort to create something of high Quality.
There is always some fault being found with it?
It's either the price is too high, the box isn't fancy enough or it's of the wrong color. You name it!!!!!
In the same breath, we'll complain bitterly about the Cheap Chinese Junk!

Lord knows, it doesn't seems to be any pleasing some of us!

((((73)))) Milverton.

>________________________________

Re: QRP

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Please also note that most amplifiers like the one referenced below are
not compliant with the FCC Part 97 rules (which require FCC
certification of all external amateur amplifiers, built or kit, that are
offered for commercial sale ) and are not legal to sell into the U.S.
Many also do not meet amateur harmonic emissions standards.

We are required to design to the FCC rules and to receive their official
certification prior to sale.

Of course it is legal to buy these foreign amps as far as I can tell.

73,

Eric
elecraft.com

On 6/18/2013 11:42 AM, Rick McClelland, AA5S wrote:

> I hope that previous reply did not seem overly facetious.  I own an RM
> Italy amp and I'm taking a close look at this KXPA100 so I'm well aware of
> the cost/benefit ratio for less expensive amplifiers.
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Rick McClelland, AA5S <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>> Why spend more when you could spend less?
>> http://www.amazon.com/RM-Italy-KL-linear-amplifier/dp/B00CBRWIM8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the Elecraft
>>> 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and shipping  I
>>> was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt KX3
>>> is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.
>>>
>>> K6CG

>> --
>> Rick McClelland, AA5S
>> Fort Collins, CO

Re: QRP

N5GE
What I thought was interesting was that for most of the models there
were only one to three in stock.  That makes me think they are
selling like hot-cakes to the CB market, or they are trying to get
rid of them.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:27:36 -0700, Richard Thorpe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the Elecraft 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and shipping  I was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt KX3 is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.
>
>K6CG

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: QRP

Doug Turnbull
Dear OMs and Yls,
     I do not wish to be a traitor but perhaps the Ten-Tec model 418 at $800
and an external antenna tuner if required is more affordable.   I will use
my K3 for QRO and so am not too bothered but this amplifier is pricy.   Then
again Elecraft is the new Collins.

     The Italian amplifier mentioned is not something I would want near me.
I am not knocking Italian equipment as I have an Expert 2K - FA which I
like.   The KL amplifier though is a no no.

                   73 Doug EI2CN

On 6/18/2013 11:27 AM, Richard Thorpe wrote:
> 100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00

My arithmetic says $1,000 as kits for the amp and tuner. +$100 factory
built.  These kits are so simple, and the components are factory tested,
so it's silly not to take advantage of the discount.  Likewise, the KX3
is $900 as a kit. If you're going to backpack with it or use it with
random wires, you'll want the QRP tuner, $170, and the paddle $130.

Add the cost of the KX3 and it's still a LOT less than a K3, AND you
have both a world class 100W transceiver, a world class 10W rig for
backpacking, or to throw in your carry-on for various trips.  And you
can use the KX3 as a "mobile head" with the 100W amp buried in the trunk
or under a seat. Or you can put the KX3 on a desktop and the 100W amp
under the desk.

Re: QRP

but probably not legal to *use* them in the US unless they meet Amateur
technical standards...

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

On 6/18/2013 12:26 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> Many also do not meet amateur harmonic emissions standards.

> Of course it is legal to buy these foreign amps as far as I can tell.

Re: QRP

Peter Lambert
I think we ALL have an obligation to ensure our TX output is clean.  We ALL
share in the harmful results if we don't in the form of QRM that we complain
about every day.  These cheap amps have little or no output filtering and
most do not have any real semblance of ALC making it very easy to overdrive
them.  The performance of all the Elecraft gear in this regard (and it's
equivalent in receive) is stunningly good and in my opinion worth every damn
cent.

Best regards to the team at Elecraft for their efforts in making truly great
quality gear !.

It seems perfectly logical that a KX3 and 100W map should be around the same
price as a K3-100.

73's Peter VK4JD

wrote:

>QRP is looking better, I looked at the out the door price of the Elecraft
100W amp with tuner.  Ouch!  around $1300.00 bucks with tax and shipping  I
was imagining around $600.00 I'm way out of step. Yikes! a hundred watt KX3
is close to the price of a 100 watt K3.

>K6CG
>
>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: QRP

Phil Hystad-3
It looks like the KXPA100 is priced fairly among market peers.  And then,  added to that is the gold seal quality of Elecraft.  Maybe the perception of a lower price is the main fault here.  I will probably not get this amplifier right away since I prefer QRP with the KX3.  I do have the KPA500 and I think that the KX3 can drive that to a reasonable QRO signal.  Haven't tried that yet though.

PEH's iPad