Quick Question

NK7Z
Does the K3 have a CW keyer memory?  IE., can I program up a CQ TEST, in
one memory, then the 599 00X in the other?
--
Support better RFI practices, please sign this petition:
at Whitehouse.gov

http://wh.gov/lpz5Y

Re: Quick Question

Dennis Moore
Yes. Use the K3 Utility to edit the CW memories, assign them to the
M1-M4 buttons. There  are more available than just that, but I only use
the M1-M4.

73, Dennis NJ6G

On 4/6/2014 9:16 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Does the K3 have a CW keyer memory?  IE., can I program up a CQ TEST, in
> one memory, then the 599 00X in the other?

Re: Quick Question

Bob-270
Hi David,

                Yes it does.  There are 4 memories playable from the front panel
and there is another selectable bank of four.  They are programmable using the
internal keyer or the utility program.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 4/7/2014 12:16 AM, David Cole wrote:
> Does the K3 have a CW keyer memory?  IE., can I program up a CQ TEST, in
> one memory, then the 599 00X in the other?

Re: Quick Question

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
David Cole wrote
Does the K3 have a CW keyer memory?  IE., can I program up a CQ TEST, in
one memory, then the 599 00X in the other?
The way the second part of the question is phrased it looks as if you are asking if there is a memory that increments a counter per QSO, i.e. 599 001, 599 002, and so on. the K3 has indeed CW memories as others have said, but they are static so the contents doesn't increment, at least not as far as I know.

Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: Quick Question

David Pratt
It would be easiest to use one's skill and send this using a paddle.
Ideally the signal strength should be derived from the receiver's
S-meter. RST599 at my QTH is the very much the exception than the rule.

It should not be beyond the bounds of possibility these days,
electronically to compute Readability, Strength and Tone.  Maybe the K4
will do this ;-)

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, "Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)" <[hidden email]> writes

--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: Quick Question

On 4/6/2014 9:16 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Does the K3 have a CW keyer memory?  IE., can I program up a CQ TEST, in
> one memory, then the 599 00X in the other?

The K3 has two banks of 4 CW message memories each.  They are selectable
with the M1-M4 buttons on the front panel.  Each will store 250 CW
characters.  Touching the paddle will kill a message immediately.  You
can set a memory to repeat [like for a CQ], sending anything with the
paddle kills the repeat.  The memories are static, you can't
auto-increment a serial number, however you can program the exchange up
to the serial number in one memory, then send the number manually, and
the rest of the exchange from another memory.  To the best of my
knowledge, there is no control character you can put in your message to
pause the message so you can insert the number and then continue.

On voice modes and if you have the KDVR3 module, they will store short
messages which you can record directly from your normal mic.  People
have told me that they can't tell if it's a canned message or me. :-)

With the DVR option, you can also record and play back from the
receiver.  It's a 90 sec loop.  I've never used it.

I use N1MM and in SSB contests, I put K3 CAT commands in the N1MM macros
that emulate tapping M1-M4.  Except for ARRL SS SSB, I usually just use
it for CQ.  For SS, the exchange is fairly long so I have my precedence,
call, check, and section in a memory, I give his call and my s/n and
then hit Enter and the radio gives the rest of the exchange.

I don't use the K3 memories in CW contests, N1MM keys the radio with a
WinKeyUSB.  If I'm chasing a DX station [CW or SSB], I put my call in M1
so all I have to do is tape M1 to call.

You can also assign any of the Mx keys to K3 macros in addition to PF1
and PF2, but doing so means you can't also use them as message memories.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org