RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Smith B.
I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any
advise on rfi would be appreciated.

Smith Bradford
W9HAK

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

David Ahrendts
Smith, I have DISH and the roof sat receiver sits literally 15-feet from the SteppIR DB-11. No evidence of RFI in sat reception. Even I was amazed. Doesn’t solve DSS/cable bundling, but that’s another discussion with my OTT hat on. Apple TV streaming with TWC as ISP, no RFI. But with the TWC cable modem into gigabit router I must take great care to use ample ferrites and even shielded CAT 6 cable. But I digress.

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

> On May 17, 2016, at 1:15 PM, w9hak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any advise on rfi would be appreciated.
>
> Smith Bradford
> W9HAK

David Ahrendts   [hidden email]

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

David Bunte
Smith -

I switched from Comcast to Direct TV last November.  I noticed NO RFI from
the system, and NO interference to the TV reception.  I was on at all
hours, running 500 watts to a vertical.

Dave - K9FN
On May 17, 2016 4:16 PM, "w9hak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any advise
on rfi would be appreciated.

Smith Bradford
W9HAK

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Jim - N4ST
Never had a problem with HF or 6M ops interfering with DirecTV.
Can't say I have noticed the DirecTV interfering with ham ops.

When I first got DirecTV we had a problem when doing Pay Per View movies.
We often lost the first few minutes of the movie.
Finally figured out that when the kids would do popcorn in the microwave it
caused the DirecTV to drop signal.
Also noticed that we would lose WiFi connections when the microwave was
operational.
We got rid of that microwave.
_________
73,
Jim - N4ST

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Nate Bargmann
I've had DirecTV in four different homes with two different receivers
for almost 20 years and never a bit of RFI has affected the receivers.
I have gotten into the stereo amplifier on occasion but that is another
matter entirely.

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Rick McGaver
I have DISH, it sucks but never a problem with RFI.  I run QRO Power, a couple of my friends have DISH and Direct with Zero RFI issues.
NK  9G

Sent from my iPad

> On May 17, 2016, at 3:38 PM, Jim - N4ST <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Never had a problem with HF or 6M ops interfering with DirecTV.
> Can't say I have noticed the DirecTV interfering with ham ops.
>
> When I first got DirecTV we had a problem when doing Pay Per View movies.
> We often lost the first few minutes of the movie.
> Finally figured out that when the kids would do popcorn in the microwave it
> caused the DirecTV to drop signal.
> Also noticed that we would lose WiFi connections when the microwave was
> operational.
> We got rid of that microwave.
> _________
> 73,
> Jim - N4ST

John K9UWA-2

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

W5RDW
In the '90s, had DirecTV for over 10 years with no RFI problems running full power. Changed over to Verizon Fios, etc. Now after 10 years of Verizon (now Frontier) and ever increasing monthly bills, getting ready to go back to DirecTV!
Roger W5RDW

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

KD8NNU
I have Direct TV with no RF issues.

~73
Don
KD8NNU
2014 3905CC Top Gun :-)
-.- -.. ---.. -. -. ..-

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Mike Dodd
On 5/17/2016 4:15 PM, w9hak wrote:
> I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any
> advice on rfi would be appreciated.

We have DirecTV, and there is no interference from my K3s on 80-6M.
Also, the DirecTV receiver does not interfere with ham band reception.

--
73, Mike N4CF
Louisa County, VA USA

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

todd ruby-2
Not that I'm a fan of Verizon the company, I'm not, but FIOS will rid you of all RFI blues.

My neighbors had Comcast and I would get the dreaded phone call time and again that I was messing up their TV. Thank goodness they are great people. Then they switched to FIOS and now I can contest to my heart's content running 1.5 kW with my 4 element SteppIR 100' above their TV room. No more RFI phone calls!

73

Todd
WB2ZAB

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Edward R Cole
Had Dish-NET for several years and switched to Direct-TV two years
ago during a time there was contract dispute between Ch.13
(Anchorage) and Dish-NET that threatened that they would not carry
the network programming.  We are 65-90 miles from the TV stations
which makes digital TV not watchable from off-air reception.

No RFI either way from the mw satellite system but the new Direct-TV
receiver switching PS gets into my 2m receiver.  Fortunately, I am
not using 2m when watching TV.  We power-off the AC to the
entertainment equipment when not using it (saves power consumption over time).

I suppose some ferrites and shielding the separate switcher would solve this.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Warren Merkel
I have a DirecTV system and haven't had as good luck with RFI as the
others here.   My dish is about 40 feet directly below and near the end
of an OCF 80m Windom.   It worked out that was the only realistic
position that afforded full Sat views through the trees.

Usually nothing happens at 100w HF output, but when I run the power up
to 500w (depending on band), two of my DVRs either "turn off" (standby
really) or start randomly recording whatever channel is being tuned at
the time.  I've got the dish grounded and the RG6 feed is passed
multiple passes through large #31 ferrites, with no overall improvement
in RFI.

I would recommend much more separation of antennas and feedline than I
have, if possible.

Warren, KD4Z

On 5/17/2016 10:08 PM, w9hak <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any

advise on rfi would be appreciated.

Smith Bradford
W9HAK

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

David Cutter
Some OCF dipoles work very well when used with a 2-choke balun, see DJ0IP for suitable designs.  Spiderbeam make proper 2-choke baluns for their OCF dipoles but I don't know of any others.   It's all about suppressing those common mode currents on the outside of the coax.  He and I have both measured common mode currents with different chokes; see his site for details.  http://www.dj0ip.de/balun-stuff/

David
G3UNA

>I have a DirecTV system and haven't had as good luck with RFI as the
> others here.   My dish is about 40 feet directly below and near the end
> of an OCF 80m Windom.   It worked out that was the only realistic
> position that afforded full Sat views through the trees.
>
> Usually nothing happens at 100w HF output, but when I run the power up
> to 500w (depending on band), two of my DVRs either "turn off" (standby
> really) or start randomly recording whatever channel is being tuned at
> the time.  I've got the dish grounded and the RG6 feed is passed
> multiple passes through large #31 ferrites, with no overall improvement
> in RFI.
>
> I would recommend much more separation of antennas and feedline than I
> have, if possible.
>
> Warren, KD4Z
>
> On 5/17/2016 10:08 PM, w9hak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any
>
> advise on rfi would be appreciated.
>
> Smith Bradford
> W9HAK

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Ramon Tristani-2
Banned User
I used to have “fiber to the home” while living in Bloomington, Indiana. The provider is Smithville Fiber and in general, their TV, Internet, Telephone bundle is excellent and price wise, very competitive. Having said that, their interface equipment (external fiberoptic to ethernet inside the home) is of such a poor quality that even while tuning the radio with less than 5 watts, the internet would freeze and cease to work. I tried to use multiple RF chokes on the coax from the antenna, the internal ethernet distribution inside the house, even shielding the outside interface box the best I could,  but nothing worked. Other hams in the Bloomington area have the same experience and all of us traced it to the poor components and lack of shielding (contrary to FCC requirements) that they use in the provider’s installation. Obviously they never considered that ham radio operator exist and are protected under the FCC Rules. So we went as a group and met with their management. They promised to take action. I don’t know if they every did. Since then, I moved to North Carolina and am now using Time Warner Cable. I have a Hex Beam in my backyard using 100 watts. I also have a doublet fed with window line and a balun inside my attic, same power. No problems to report up to this date.

So, it is quite possible that the providers are using the least expensive equipment for cable, TV, and internet distribution. In my case back in Bloomington, Smithville had to change the cable box three times because of defects in materials and workmanship. I know that companies have to make money to subsist, but buying the lowest bidder sometimes brings its own problems. If in doubt, check NASA’s experience!

Ramón E. Tristani Sr.
[hidden email]
NQ9V

On Tue,5/17/2016 8:26 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
> I suppose some ferrites and shielding the separate switcher would
> solve this.

Or replace the switcher with a linear supply.

On Wed,5/18/2016 5:23 AM, Warren Merkel wrote:
> I would recommend much more separation of antennas and feedline than I have, if possible.

Your antenna, an off-center-fed Windom, is notorious for generating
common mode current on the feedline, and there's no way to choke it
effectively to kill that current. So what you're calling a feedline
Mother Nature calls part of the antenna. THAT'S a primary cause of your
problem.

If you're having issues on 80M, you'll need at least 13 turns of the RG6
through a single #31 toroid to make a dent in the common mode current.

Grounding the dish is important for lightning safety, but it is NOT part
of a solution for RFI. The earth is not a "sump" into which RF is poured.

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

john@kk9a.com
I have no RFI with Dish.  Try using a balanced antenna with a choke and
quality coax.

John KK9A

Warren Merkel
Wed May 18 08:23:30 EDT 2016

On 5/17/2016 10:08 PM, w9hak <w9hak at twc.com> wrote:
I am contemplating dropping TWC and going to a satellite system. Any

advise on rfi would be appreciated.

Smith Bradford
W9HAK

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

John K9UWA-2
Jim is 100% correct. The Direct TV receivers are HORRIBLE for noise
generation. Maybe you can't hear it if your Ham Antenna is far enough away
but it is there for sure. I bought a Sony model ICF-2001 to use looking for
various noises about the house. You don't want the later models as they
have auto noise blankers in them. The radio covers AM/SW/FM and does
AM or SSB.

Jim is exactly correct regarding the Wall Wart type switcher supply on these
Direct TV receivers. They are 12.6 vdc so easy for us Hams to pick up a
nice small linear transformer powered regulated supply. I also hooked up
the Modem and Router to this same linear supply. Yes every one of them
made noise.

Next the HDMI cable from the Direct TV receiver to the TV set also mades
lots of racket. I use TWO of the FT-240 mix 31 cores and managed to get
about 5 turns through both chokes. That killed the HDMI cable noise.

John k9uwa

> On Tue,5/17/2016 8:26 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
> > I suppose some ferrites and shielding the separate switcher would
> > solve this.
>
> Or replace the switcher with a linear supply.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: RFI and Direct tv or Dish network

Smith B.
Thanks to all that replied to my question. Great list!

Smith Bradford

W9HAK