RTTY in days of old

Jim Sheldon
Hi Guys,
Anyone on here that used to run RTTY back in the Machine days or early computer days?  I have a friend that's looking for an old HAL ST-6000 Terminal Unit in working or mostly working order.  (We can troubleshoot it & fix it if we can find one with the books intact).

Also, I've been scrounging stuff and have come up with a HAL CT-2100 with the optional KB-2100 keyboard that wasn't working -- one 25K PC mount pot and some solder joint touch up and it's playing just fine.

Was in our local Radio Shack/Ham Store yesterday and the owner talked me into buying a HAL DKB-2010 CW/RTTY Keyboard for 10 bucks.  He said he had no idea whether or not it worked, and with only minor cleanup it runs just fine as well.  Good find for 10 bucks for sure.

It does have a few "bouncy" key switches on the keyboard.  They are Stackpole computer keyboard switches and I'm looking for an old mechanical computer terminal keyboard with those type switches if anyone happens to have one laying around they don't want anymore.

Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Re: RTTY in days of old

Bob-270
Hi Jim,

            What do mean by  "used to"?   Have a Timewave 59Y that outputs
Baudot and is interfaced to a Model 15. Elecraft content, line out of
the K3 drives the Timewave.   The mechanical aspects of the old TTY machines are
more interesting than the software of today, IMHO.

             There is an ST6 here that "ran when parked" years ago. Used with
SB300/400, also still here.

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 12/15/2013 6:32 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> Anyone on here that used to run RTTY back in the Machine days or early computer days?  I have a friend that's looking for an old HAL ST-6000 Terminal Unit in working or mostly working order.  (We can troubleshoot it & fix it if we can find one with the books intact).
>
> Also, I've been scrounging stuff and have come up with a HAL CT-2100 with the optional KB-2100 keyboard that wasn't working -- one 25K PC mount pot and some solder joint touch up and it's playing just fine.
>
> Was in our local Radio Shack/Ham Store yesterday and the owner talked me into buying a HAL DKB-2010 CW/RTTY Keyboard for 10 bucks.  He said he had no idea whether or not it worked, and with only minor cleanup it runs just fine as well.  Good find for 10 bucks for sure.
>
> It does have a few "bouncy" key switches on the keyboard.  They are Stackpole computer keyboard switches and I'm looking for an old mechanical computer terminal keyboard with those type switches if anyone happens to have one laying around they don't want anymore.
>
> Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Re: RTTY in days of old

Rick Johnson-2
I have 2ea MPC-1000 Dovetrons and one very nice ST-6 if that would do you any good.
73,Rick W3BI

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:32:28 -0600
> Subject: [Elecraft] RTTY in days of old
>
> Hi Guys,
> Anyone on here that used to run RTTY back in the Machine days or early computer days?  I have a friend that's looking for an old HAL ST-6000 Terminal Unit in working or mostly working order.  (We can troubleshoot it & fix it if we can find one with the books intact).
>
> Also, I've been scrounging stuff and have come up with a HAL CT-2100 with the optional KB-2100 keyboard that wasn't working -- one 25K PC mount pot and some solder joint touch up and it's playing just fine.
>
> Was in our local Radio Shack/Ham Store yesterday and the owner talked me into buying a HAL DKB-2010 CW/RTTY Keyboard for 10 bucks.  He said he had no idea whether or not it worked, and with only minor cleanup it runs just fine as well.  Good find for 10 bucks for sure.
>
> It does have a few "bouncy" key switches on the keyboard.  They are Stackpole computer keyboard switches and I'm looking for an old mechanical computer terminal keyboard with those type switches if anyone happens to have one laying around they don't want anymore.
>
> Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Re: RTTY in days of old

aj4ay
Oh my word.  I haven't heard the model 15 teletype machine mentioned
in a
very long time.  As long as you keep the felts on the main shaft
oiled, it
will work forever!!!

Jay
AJ4AY