Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Elecraft mailing list
Here's an interesting observation - just setup my newly received
Raspberry Pi 3.  After setting it, which was very simple, I selected
fldigi and flrig from the software directory.  After the installed I
plugged in my K3 USB cable and setup fldigi just as I would on any other
linux computer.  Slightly amazed that it worked great.  So, imagine - a
$39 computer that can run any linux ham software and its smaller than
your hand.

Doug -- K0DXV

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Bob Darlington
And will easily fit inside a P3 or speaker enclosure.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Doug Person via Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's an interesting observation - just setup my newly received Raspberry
> Pi 3.  After setting it, which was very simple, I selected fldigi and flrig
> from the software directory.  After the installed I plugged in my K3 USB
> cable and setup fldigi just as I would on any other linux computer.
> Slightly amazed that it worked great.  So, imagine - a $39 computer that
> can run any linux ham software and its smaller than your hand.
>
> Doug -- K0DXV

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
I love the idea.

What I want is basically a Raspberry Pi laptop.  Something that'll run
FLDIGI, with long battery life, and fairly cheap.

Nothing cloud based because I want to run portable.

-- Lynn

On 4/4/2016 10:08 AM, Doug Person via Elecraft wrote:
> Here's an interesting observation - just setup my newly received
> Raspberry Pi 3.

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Bruce Nourish
That does exist, as a kit: Google "pi-top".

The trouble with pi-top is that the screen and keyboard, and general fit
and finish aren't that great. If there's Android software that can meet
your needs, you'll get more power, better screen, better construction, and
a better keyboard by picking up an older model Nexus tablet and a matching
Bluetooth keyboard.

My ideal portable rig just for digital modes would be a battery powered PX3
with the smallest, cheapest USB keyboard I could find. But, I assume if
Elecraft could have put batteries in the PX3 they would have.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 19:08 Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I love the idea.
>
> What I want is basically a Raspberry Pi laptop.  Something that'll run
> FLDIGI, with long battery life, and fairly cheap.
>
> Nothing cloud based because I want to run portable.
>
> -- Lynn
>
> On 4/4/2016 10:08 AM, Doug Person via Elecraft wrote:
> > Here's an interesting observation - just setup my newly received
> > Raspberry Pi 3.

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Phil Wheeler-2
NUE PSK also works well with KX3

Phil W7OX -- Sent from my iPhone 5S

> On Apr 4, 2016, at 11:07, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I love the idea.
>
> What I want is basically a Raspberry Pi laptop.  Something that'll run FLDIGI, with long battery life, and fairly cheap.
>
> Nothing cloud based because I want to run portable.
>
> -- Lynn
>
>> On 4/4/2016 10:08 AM, Doug Person via Elecraft wrote:
>> Here's an interesting observation - just setup my newly received Raspberry Pi 3.

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

John Pitz
It is interesting that you mention this, I am quite a ways into a
similar project.  I have a Pi3 connected to a 7" touch screen display.
I also have a USB soundcard setup on it and this last weekend made a
contact using my KX3 and fldigi to make a very clumsily executed on my
part contact with a HAM in Florida.  I have found that a stylus makes
life much easier with tiny displays.  The Pi is an aweful lot of
computer for so little money.

On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 11:08 -0600, Doug Person via Elecraft wrote:

> Here's an interesting observation - just setup my newly received
> Raspberry Pi 3.  After setting it, which was very simple, I selected
> fldigi and flrig from the software directory.  After the installed I
> plugged in my K3 USB cable and setup fldigi just as I would on any other
> linux computer.  Slightly amazed that it worked great.  So, imagine - a
> $39 computer that can run any linux ham software and its smaller than
> your hand.
>
> Doug -- K0DXV

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Setting aside the tiny screen, it fails the test with the external keyboard.

I'd really like to do this in just two boxes -- and as someone who
touch-types over 80wpm, it must have a really good keyboard.

On 4/4/2016 11:53 AM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
> NUE PSK also works well with KX3

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

Phil Wheeler-2
I have a very good keyboard for it.

Phil W7OX

On 4/4/16 4:42 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
> Setting aside the tiny screen, it fails the test
> with the external keyboard.
>
> I'd really like to do this in just two boxes --
> and as someone who touch-types over 80wpm, it
> must have a really good keyboard.
>
> On 4/4/2016 11:53 AM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> NUE PSK also works well with KX3

Re: Raspberry PI 3 and K3

David Cutter
A friend recently bought an iRulu tablet for £16 including postage, attached
a Bluetooth converter for £17, some software for £3.50 and was able to
control his 817 from inside a tent. I'm looking forward to seeing that on
Elecraft gear.

David
G3UNA