Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

Dave G.-2
FWIW... I thought I'd mention this..

I bought my KX3 heat sink from Fred Meier VE7FM a while ago.
It is a very well machined precision product and fits beautifully,
everything lined up perfectly - and it took me less than 10 minutes to
install.
I chose the micro bead blasted finish to increase the effective
radiating area. (at least that's what I figured - I'm probably wrong!)

It weighs about 8oz and I measured/calculated that it had a total
dissipating area of just over 42 sq ins.

The transaction was very easy and the delivery was very fast.

I posted the list with my before and after results of temperatures
reached for key-down continuous output transmissions at various power
levels for a 5 minute duration at each power level into a dummy load.

I had no temp induced shutdowns during my tests with that heat sink fitted..
I've been using it for several months now with no problems.

If you look in the pictures folder, under my callsign, you can see
before and after images of it fitted to my KX3
I also posted the before and after indicated temps to the list (a while back!)

I do know that Fred is willing and able to ship worldwide from Canada,
in fact,  to anywhere in the world that has PayPal or a bank draft.
For my order I used PayPal.

Usual Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interests in Fred's
products other than being a very satisfied customer.

73 de

Dave G.    KK7SS
Richland, WA.

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

Don Wilhelm-4
I also bought one of Fred's heatsinks for my KX3.
I tested the KX3 with continuous keydown at 10 watts for 10 minutes -
shack ambient temperature of 22.5 degC (72 degF).
Without the heat sink, my KX3 throttled back to 5 watts after 4 minutes,
30 seconds.  After the power reduction, the KX3 PA temperature began to
cool since the stock heatsink is adequate for the 5 watt level in a
normal shack temperature environment.  If there is direct sun on the KX3
on a hot day, that is another situation (I did not test under those
conditions).
With Fred's heatsink installed, the same test throttled power to 5 watts
after 8 minutes 30 seconds, a significant improvement.

Fred provided me with a thermal pad for a test, and with that thermal
pad, the time before power was reduced was 9 minutes 45 seconds.

So my conclusions are that the heat sink makes a big difference for
continuous duty modes when operation above 5 watts is a goal.  The
thermal pad made some improvement, but not terribly significant for most
practical uses.

IMHO, the heatsink is an improvement to the KX3 for those who do
continuous duty data modes and want to operate at power levels in excess
of 5 watts.

There are at least 2 others who have posted that they are also offering
add-on heat sinks for the KX3.  An archive search of the reflector posts
will reveal those others.  I suspect that any added heatsink will
improve the heat transfer to ambient air.

On 5/2/2014 8:05 PM, Dave G. wrote:

> FWIW... I thought I'd mention this..
>
> I bought my KX3 heat sink from Fred Meier VE7FM a while ago.
> It is a very well machined precision product and fits beautifully,
> everything lined up perfectly - and it took me less than 10 minutes to
> install.
> I chose the micro bead blasted finish to increase the effective
> radiating area. (at least that's what I figured - I'm probably wrong!)
>
> It weighs about 8oz and I measured/calculated that it had a total
> dissipating area of just over 42 sq ins.
>
> The transaction was very easy and the delivery was very fast.
>
> I posted the list with my before and after results of temperatures
> reached for key-down continuous output transmissions at various power
> levels for a 5 minute duration at each power level into a dummy load.
>
> I had no temp induced shutdowns during my tests with that heat sink fitted..
> I've been using it for several months now with no problems.

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

Phil Wheeler-2
Another vote of appreciation for Fred's heat sink.
I've not done any tests as yet, but I looked at
Dave's results and know it will meet my wants and
needs for digital modes where duty cycle can be
high. A classy design which looks and works well
on my KX3.It meets all my criteria for adding
cooling to the KX3:

  * Is cosmetically attractive (in the black
    finish); and if anything adds to the rig's
    appearance
  * Does not require any mods to the basic KX3
    (like drilling more holes or removing the
    speaker)
  * Requires no additional power supplies (to
    power a fan)
  * Is very easy to install
  * Allows the KX3 to be returned to its original
    state with a minimum of effort, should that
    need arise.

Same disclaimer as Dave!

Phil w7ox

On 5/2/14, 5:05 PM, Dave G. wrote:

> FWIW... I thought I'd mention this..
>
> I bought my KX3 heat sink from Fred Meier VE7FM a while ago.
> It is a very well machined precision product and fits beautifully,
> everything lined up perfectly - and it took me less than 10 minutes to
> install.
> I chose the micro bead blasted finish to increase the effective
> radiating area. (at least that's what I figured - I'm probably wrong!)
>
> It weighs about 8oz and I measured/calculated that it had a total
> dissipating area of just over 42 sq ins.
>
> The transaction was very easy and the delivery was very fast.
>
> I posted the list with my before and after results of temperatures
> reached for key-down continuous output transmissions at various power
> levels for a 5 minute duration at each power level into a dummy load.
>
> I had no temp induced shutdowns during my tests with that heat sink fitted..
> I've been using it for several months now with no problems.
>
> If you look in the pictures folder, under my callsign, you can see
> before and after images of it fitted to my KX3
> I also posted the before and after indicated temps to the list (a while back!)
>
> I do know that Fred is willing and able to ship worldwide from Canada,
> in fact,  to anywhere in the world that has PayPal or a bank draft.
> For my order I used PayPal.
>
> Usual Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interests in Fred's
> products other than being a very satisfied customer.
>
> 73 de
>
> Dave G.    KK7SS
> Richland, WA.

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

On 5/2/2014 5:43 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> IMHO, the heatsink is an improvement to the KX3 for those who do
> continuous duty data modes and want to operate at power levels in
> excess of 5 watts.

Yes, and equipment cooling is always a good thing. However -- note that
the KXPA100 provides power gain of 16 dB, so it takes only 2.5W from the
KX3 to get 100W out.

Another point. Even a contester who constantly CQs doesn't transmit for
more than 4-8 seconds at a time and listens for 2 or 3 (if he doesn't
listen for at least that long, he's a poor operator), and if he's making
QSOs, the other guy is transmitting half of the time. And RTTY is the
only keydown contesting mode. Also, the WSJT family of keydown modes
like JT65, JT9, PSK441, and so on, transmit for 48 seconds and listen
for 72 seconds. Finally, if you're transmitting for more than a minute
or two at a time with RTTY or PSK, the other operator is probably bored
to death with your brag tape.

To me, the value of that extra heat sink would be to allow me to run the
KX3 barefoot closer to 10W in those keydown modes. But for portable
operation, the limitation is battery, not heat.

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

Phil Wheeler-2
Jim,

There are activities other than contesting, such
as PSK31, which involve high duty cycles.

Many of us operate portable using external
batteries. Heating may be academic with the
internal batteries anyway, since the voltage
limits the power available.

Phil w7ox

On 5/3/14, 12:26 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 5/2/2014 5:43 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> IMHO, the heatsink is an improvement to the KX3
>> for those who do continuous duty data modes and
>> want to operate at power levels in excess of 5
>> watts.
>
> Yes, and equipment cooling is always a good
> thing. However -- note that the KXPA100 provides
> power gain of 16 dB, so it takes only 2.5W from
> the KX3 to get 100W out.
>
> Another point. Even a contester who constantly
> CQs doesn't transmit for more than 4-8 seconds
> at a time and listens for 2 or 3 (if he doesn't
> listen for at least that long, he's a poor
> operator), and if he's making QSOs, the other
> guy is transmitting half of the time. And RTTY
> is the only keydown contesting mode. Also, the
> WSJT family of keydown modes like JT65, JT9,
> PSK441, and so on, transmit for 48 seconds and
> listen for 72 seconds. Finally, if you're
> transmitting for more than a minute or two at a
> time with RTTY or PSK, the other operator is
> probably bored to death with your brag tape.
>
> To me, the value of that extra heat sink would
> be to allow me to run the KX3 barefoot closer to
> 10W in those keydown modes. But for portable
> operation, the limitation is battery, not heat.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

fredem
While the Cooler KX may not be necessary for each KX3, it is never the less available to every KX3 operator for whom this amazing radio has become their base or even only rig.
Increasing among us do not have access to amplifiers, do not have access to resonant antennas, do not even have a dedicated ham shack. Compromised antennas, and improvised portable operations, emergency deployments, restrictive HOAs, crowded noisy living spaces, these are becoming normal rather than unusual ham operating scenarios. The KX3 meets the needs created by these circumstances.
I cannot say that the creators of the rig envisioned what their baby would grow up to become, but the assembly literature has now been revised to suggest that while the radio may be capable of 10 watts output, it is in fact intended that it do so under specific conditions.
We are pushing the rigs capabilities to new boundaries. That is what hams have done in the past out of a thirst for knowledge, it is what we do now out of necessity to be able to stay active.
The Cooler KX addresses the well documented overheating of the KX3 when it is deployed on the ragged edge of its capabilities. When a KX3 is your favorite rig, when it is your only rig, QRP is not a luxury; it is a fact of life. When you have no amplifier, and the band conditions are changing, and your antenna is ‘tuned’ the radio warms up. When every watt that you paid for counts to seal the QSO deal, then the Cooler KX helps to get the job done, without any power consumed, without any station noise added. It simply and passively sucks the heat out of the radio, which can only be good for all of the components, not just the PAs.
You don’t have to buy a Cooler KX, but if you want one I will surely build one for you. Fred, VE7FMN

KXPA100 - chart of drive versus power out - per band and pa.i temp

Jeff Herr
The manual states "Maximum power output, as well as the drive power to reach
a given power output, both vary per-band."

Has anyone charted this?

How can I see the KX3 PA temp while driving the KXPA100 ?

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

On 5/3/2014 6:09 AM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
> There are activities other than contesting, such as PSK31, which
> involve high duty cycles.

Yes. But as I noted, if you're making 5 minute transmissions, the other
guy is probably bored to death. I would be.

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

Rick WA6NHC
It is the same regardless of mode.

Rick, WA6NHC

iPad = small keypad = typos = sorry ;-)

> On May 3, 2014, at 10:40 AM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes. But as I noted, if you're making 5 minute transmissions, the other guy is probably bored to death. I would be.

Re: Cool your KX3 (fredem)

Stephen M. Shearer

On 05/03/2014 01:40 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 5/3/2014 6:09 AM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> There are activities other than contesting, such as PSK31, which
>> involve high duty cycles.
for example, JT9 is key down for 2 minutes.  2 watts WILL work but 5+
may be needed for the conditions...  and yes, event JT65 at one minute
can cause "day dreams"...
73, steve WB3LGC
> Yes. But as I noted, if you're making 5 minute transmissions, the
> other guy is probably bored to death. I would be.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

KX3 - how can I measure the kx3 pa temp while connected to the KXPA100 ?

Jeff Herr
how can I measure the kx3 pa temp while connected to the KXPA100 ?

Did I miss something in the programming ref?

Re: KX3 - how can I measure the kx3 pa temp while connected to the KXPA100 ?

Kenneth Christiansen
Hi Jeff

I use the KX3 OSC*##C to monitor the temperature of the KX3 and the PAx ##C to monitor the temperature of the KXPA100. That worked for me while I was running PSK31 and RTTY as W1AW/0 for North Dakota. I have ordered the extra heat sink for my KX3 as I think it runs too hot in RTTY and PSK31 but it is just fine on CW and SSB.

I hope this idea works for you.

73

Ken W0CZ  w0cz at i29 dot net

Sent from my iPad