Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner (was Sherwood's receiver performance table updated)

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner (was Sherwood's receiver performance table updated)

Ken K6MR
Title changed.  Hopefully I’ll get this in before Eric puts the ax down :^)

Your example is a perfect case: 120’ of LMR400 has 0.6 dB loss @ 14 MHz. With a 5:1 SWR the additional loss is 0.75 dB.  Which is roughly the difference between 100 watts and 120 watts.

Noticeable on the air? I doubt it.

Somewhere in the past hams have become obsessed with SWR.  With a 2:1 SWR on a feedline with a matched loss of 3.0 dB (which is a bit extreme) there is an additional 0.35 dB of loss. It’s just not big enough to worry about.

Of course now that we all have solid state finals 2:1 can be a problem. But a tuner in the shack is a completely reasonable and efficient way to deal with it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled touch screen/IC7300 discussion…

Ken K6MR

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Don Wilhelm
True, the reasons for an ATU are not all associated with feedline loss.

One thing that is often overlooked in these discussions is that older
tube type transmitters had an adjustable output network which had a
sizable range for matching antennas.  You would 'dip the plate' and
adjust the 'loading' until you could feed the antenna efficiently.  With
that, one did not have to pay much attention to SWR or the feedpoint
impedance.  The PA output network did the job of matching the plate load
resistance to whatever was connected to the network output (the antenna).

Today's transmitters need to see a low SWR because they were designed to
operate into a 50 ohm load.  The adjustable elements of the transmitter
output have been moved from the transmitter into the ATU because there
is nothing to adjust in the transmitter other than the band and VFO.

If all your antennas present a 50 ohm load on each band - and across the
span of those bands, no ATU is needed at all, but that requires many
tuned antennas.  Not everyone has that luxury.

On 4/27/2016 2:52 PM, Ken K6MR wrote:
> Somewhere in the past hams have become obsessed with SWR.  With a 2:1 SWR on a feedline with a matched loss of 3.0 dB (which is a bit extreme) there is an additional 0.35 dB of loss. It’s just not big enough to worry about.
>
> Of course now that we all have solid state finals 2:1 can be a problem. But a tuner in the shack is a completely reasonable and efficient way to deal with it.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Ken K6MR
“One thing that is often overlooked in these discussions is that older
tube type transmitters had an adjustable output network which had a
sizable range for matching antennas.”

I remember my DX-20: that thing could load anything!

But I’m not going back. Being able to change bands instantly and completely hands free is a big advantage. I continue to make sacrifices to the Amplifier Gods asking for the KPA-1500  :^)

Ken K6MR

True, the reasons for an ATU are not all associated with feedline loss.

One thing that is often overlooked in these discussions is that older
tube type transmitters had an adjustable output network which had a
sizable range for matching antennas.  You would 'dip the plate' and
adjust the 'loading' until you could feed the antenna efficiently.  With
that, one did not have to pay much attention to SWR or the feedpoint
impedance.  The PA output network did the job of matching the plate load
resistance to whatever was connected to the network output (the antenna).

Today's transmitters need to see a low SWR because they were designed to
operate into a 50 ohm load.  The adjustable elements of the transmitter
output have been moved from the transmitter into the ATU because there
is nothing to adjust in the transmitter other than the band and VFO.

If all your antennas present a 50 ohm load on each band - and across the
span of those bands, no ATU is needed at all, but that requires many
tuned antennas.  Not everyone has that luxury.

On 4/27/2016 2:52 PM, Ken K6MR wrote:
> Somewhere in the past hams have become obsessed with SWR.  With a 2:1 SWR on a feedline with a matched loss of 3.0 dB (which is a bit extreme) there is an additional 0.35 dB of loss. It’s just not big enough to worry about.
>
> Of course now that we all have solid state finals 2:1 can be a problem. But a tuner in the shack is a completely reasonable and efficient way to deal with it.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

While this not about feedline loss.  But, Don brings up a point about antennas in general that cover all bands with a ~50 match.   I have only tried two.  The discone and the log periodic for 20 Meters and up.  The discone wins on footprint and the log winds on gain/directivity.  But is much bigger.  Along came SteppIR.
Mel, K6KBE

True, the reasons for an ATU are not all associated with feedline loss.

One thing that is often overlooked in these discussions is that older
tube type transmitters had an adjustable output network which had a
sizable range for matching antennas.  You would 'dip the plate' and
adjust the 'loading' until you could feed the antenna efficiently.  With
that, one did not have to pay much attention to SWR or the feedpoint
impedance.  The PA output network did the job of matching the plate load
resistance to whatever was connected to the network output (the antenna).

Today's transmitters need to see a low SWR because they were designed to
operate into a 50 ohm load.  The adjustable elements of the transmitter
output have been moved from the transmitter into the ATU because there
is nothing to adjust in the transmitter other than the band and VFO.

If all your antennas present a 50 ohm load on each band - and across the
span of those bands, no ATU is needed at all, but that requires many
tuned antennas.  Not everyone has that luxury.

On 4/27/2016 2:52 PM, Ken K6MR wrote:
> Somewhere in the past hams have become obsessed with SWR.  With a 2:1 SWR on a feedline with a matched loss of 3.0 dB (which is a bit extreme) there is an additional 0.35 dB of loss. It’s just not big enough to worry about.
>
> Of course now that we all have solid state finals 2:1 can be a problem. But a tuner in the shack is a completely reasonable and efficient way to deal with it.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Wes Stewart-2
I don't own one, but I've helped put one up for a fellow club member.  Based on
his. and other members' experiences, if you like failures out of the box, and as
an ongoing proposition, go for it.

On 4/27/2016 1:08 PM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft wrote:
> Along came SteppIR.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Indeed!  I don't remember when the acronym "SWR" crept into the Amateur
lexicon, or we became concerned about it, but I'm pretty sure I was
rapidly approaching "OT Status" when it happened.  Early on, we link
coupled to the final tank inductor and any reactance in the feedline
just changed the resonant point which was adjustable of course.  With
the advent of the ubiquitous pi-network, we were just matching the
impedance presented by the feedline to the plate impedance of the PA's
[a couple of K ohms or so].

There is probably no single thing in a ham station more misunderstood
[or mis-named] than "The Antenna Tuner."

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV
Washoe County DM09dn

On 4/27/2016 12:21 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> One thing that is often overlooked in these discussions is that older
> tube type transmitters had an adjustable output network which had a
> sizable range for matching antennas.  You would 'dip the plate' and
> adjust the 'loading' until you could feed the antenna efficiently.  With
> that, one did not have to pay much attention to SWR or the feedpoint
> impedance.  The PA output network did the job of matching the plate load
> resistance to whatever was connected to the network output (the antenna).

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Richard gillingham-2
I dunno, Mine (3 el Steppir) has been up since 2003 with no trouble whatsoever.   Less trouble than I've had with the Butternut vert I have for the lower bands.

Gil, W1RG

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 4:23 PM

 I don't own one, but

 wrote:
 > Along came SteppIR.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
I've had my 4 El Steppir (20-10, plus 2 more fixed el for 6 m) up for over ten
years 1 mile from the Ocean. Zero problems.

Great antenna.

Eric
/elecraft.com/

On 4/27/2016 2:23 PM, Richard gillingham wrote:

> I dunno, Mine (3 el Steppir) has been up since 2003 with no trouble whatsoever.   Less trouble than I've had with the Butternut vert I have for the lower bands.
>
> Gil, W1RG
> On Wed, 4/27/16, Wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Feedline loss w/wo tuner
>   To: [hidden email]
>   Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 4:23 PM
>
>   I don't own one, but
>   I've helped put one up for a fellow club member.  Based
>   on
>   his. and other members' experiences,
>   if you like failures out of the box, and as
>   an ongoing proposition, go for it.
>
>   On 4/27/2016 1:08 PM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft
>   wrote:
>   > Along came SteppIR.

>   Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>   This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>   Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>   Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner (was Sherwood's receiver performance table updated)

Jim Rodenkirch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

On Wed,4/27/2016 2:31 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> I've had my 4 El Steppir (20-10, plus 2 more fixed el for 6 m) up for
> over ten years 1 mile from the Ocean. Zero problems.

My 3-el (no trombones) has been up on a 120 ft tower about 12 miles N of
Eric's QTH for about 7 years, also with no problems I can blame on the
antenna (but several I can blame on myself). :) I find the antenna quite
effective on all bands, 20-6M.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Extrapolating from these two data points, it appears that Steppir reliability is inversely proportional to the distance from Eric's QTH.

Wayne

On Apr 27, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed,4/27/2016 2:31 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> I've had my 4 El Steppir (20-10, plus 2 more fixed el for 6 m) up for over ten years 1 mile from the Ocean. Zero problems.
>
> My 3-el (no trombones) has been up on a 120 ft tower about 12 miles N of Eric's QTH for about 7 years, also with no problems I can blame on the antenna (but several I can blame on myself). :) I find the antenna quite effective on all bands, 20-6M.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Kevin Stover
I knew I was right not to get one.
Thanks Wayne.:-)

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

KX1 Part 1 build issue

Frank Cox
I'm building a KX1 and finished Part 1. I encountered problems during
testing.

First I noticed when scrolling through the MENU items some some segments
of the LED display don't light on some menu item names. However the same
segment might light on another menu item.

Now it's started going dark during testing and not coming back on after
button clicks or encoder turns. When it does this the 5v and 6v lines
still have correct voltages and nothing feels hot to the touch. The only
way to get it to come back is to turn it off and wait a while.

I've carefully checked parts placement and solder joints and can find no
problems, and it passes all the part 1 voltage tests.

What should I do?

Thanks,

--Frank Cox

SteppIR Experiences - was Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Bill Frantz
Since thinking about tuned for ever frequency with the SteppIR,
I've developed a bit of SteppIR lust. Please let me know off
list if you have had problems with them. I'll summarize any
significant response for the list since this is kind of off topic.

I won't actually do anything until my tower application to the
Los Gatos (CA) planning department goes through. Any advice
about that will also be appreciated.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 4/27/16 at 2:31 PM, [hidden email] (Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ,
Elecraft) wrote:

>I've had my 4 El Steppir (20-10, plus 2 more fixed el for 6 m)
>up for over ten years 1 mile from the Ocean. Zero problems.
>
>Great antenna.
>
>Eric
>/elecraft.com/
>
>On 4/27/2016 2:23 PM, Richard gillingham wrote:
>>I dunno, Mine (3 el Steppir) has been up since 2003 with no trouble whatsoever.   Less trouble than
>I've had with the Butternut vert I have for the lower bands.
>>
>>Gil, W1RG

Re: KX1 Part 1 build issue

Frank,

That "smells" like a bad solder connection somewhere.
I would go back over the soldering with an iron temperature of 750 degF
or hotter.
Make certain that the solder flows out completely onto both the
component lead and the solder pad - add a bit of solder as you go (you
should actually be adding flux).
A solder dwell time with a sufficiently hot iron should happen in 3 to 4
seconds.  If the solder does not flow out in that time, the iron is too
cold.  If it happens in 1 second or less, the iron is too hot.

Look at you solder connection.  With thru-hole components, you should
see the solder wick through the thru-hole connections on the board.

A sage builder said that good solder connections should look like a
mountain, but not like a volcano.  Your solder connections should have a
nice fillet around the component lead, and it should be concave.  If the
solder connections look more like balls, then sufficient heat has not
been applied and will result in a faulty connection.

On 4/27/2016 8:14 PM, frank wrote:

> I'm building a KX1 and finished Part 1. I encountered problems during
> testing.
>
> First I noticed when scrolling through the MENU items some some
> segments of the LED display don't light on some menu item names.
> However the same segment might light on another menu item.
>
> Now it's started going dark during testing and not coming back on
> after button clicks or encoder turns. When it does this the 5v and 6v
> lines still have correct voltages and nothing feels hot to the touch.
> The only way to get it to come back is to turn it off and wait a while.
>
> I've carefully checked parts placement and solder joints and can find
> no problems, and it passes all the part 1 voltage tests.
>
> What should I do?

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Edward R Cole
Well my guess that most hams have the tuner at the radio (or inside
the radio).

I was trying to minimize my cost when I bought my K3/10 (only $2900
with accessories), so I did not buy the 100w amp or atu.  I already
had a used MFJ mobile tuner (good to 200w) so that sufficed.  The MFJ
finally died (not worth fixing) so I bought a used Drake MN2000
manual tuner.  It handled my CCI 300w amp (and gave a handy RF meter
to show output).  It is in the shack (arms not long enough to reach
the knobs on top of my tower at 50-feet).

I only have two operating HF antenna: 80-40m fan inverted-V and
Hygain TH3mk4 triband yagi.  80m matches where I operate (75m phone)
and 40m needs a  bit of tuner with 3:1 SWR.  The old tribander needs
a bit on all bands.  Tuner only use is to make the ssa happy with
providing a 50-ohm load.  Feedlines are about 80-foot.

I have one more wire antenna which is used on 600m: 43x122 foot
inverted-L.  I has a huge base coil for matching.  SWR bw is about
5-KHz (495-500 KHz) and efficiency is < 1%.  But my 4w ERP has been
received in Buffalo, NY; not too shabby.  Feedline SWR runs about 1.5
for the 100w amp.

My first transmitter was the DX35 with 6146 and pi-net output
tank.  Peak n Dip could load anything.  SWR? whas dat?  I did not
have a power meter.  FCC regs told me I could run 75w dc input.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

Richard S. Leary
Gil, et All
Have to agree with you. Raised my DB-18 (3 el) on 10/18/2010. Built it myself, but took my time. Club members helped me get it up. Been working fine ever since, with a K3, KPA500, and P3. Course, it's well washed down time to time with our Western Washington rain. I don't use a tuner, other than the one in the K3, when the amp is off.
73,
Rick, W7LKG

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 4:23 PM

 I don't own one, but

 wrote:
 > Along came SteppIR.

 This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net  Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html  Message delivered to [hidden email] ______________________________________________________________

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX1 Part 1 build issue

Frank Cox
Thanks Don,

I'm a fairly experienced builder so I've seen problems like bad solder
joints cause all kinds of strange symptoms. More often than not it will
end up being something simple like that. I'm still looking and I haven't
ruled anything out.

Meanwhile, it looks like I dropped my first post in the middle of
another thread. My apologies. I'll bow out here and start my own topic.

73 KK6WUU

On 4/27/2016 5:46 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Frank,
>
> That "smells" like a bad solder connection somewhere.

Re: Feedline loss w/wo tuner

gm3sek
SteppIR's reputation is still haunted by reviews from its early days
(the first eHam review was in 2001) but the SteppIR antenna you would
buy today is not the same as it was back then. SteppIR have made several
improvements over the years, including new and stronger moldings for the
element/motors, stronger and better quality fiberglass tubes, and the
new SDA100 controller.

A few years ago, a kind friend lent me his early model 3-element to try
over winter and it worked out fine. Based on that good experience I
bought a new 3-element for myself, and that too has proved reliable. But
when I unpacked the new antenna, the improvements over the earlier model
were clear to see.

Today's versions of the original 20-10m yagis with their simple,
straight 17+17ft elements can now be considered a mature technology. The
later models featuring longer elements and/or trombone elements are
demanding more from the original SteppIR design concept, but I have no
experience of those.

Every yagi has its advantages and also its drawbacks, so your choice
will depend on what's important for you at your particular QTH. The
3-element has been a good solution for this one-tower station because it
gives good performance (for its size) on five HF bands, yet with only a
little more wind loading than a 3-element 20m monobander. With improved
modifications for 6m [1] the same antenna has worked over 100 countries
on that band also.

There are still improvements that SteppIR could make (a weatherproof
junction box should come as standard, not a $185 extra, and SteppIR's
documentation is perennially awful) but the SteppIR 3-element is a very
serious contender for people with limited wind loading and mast space.

[1] www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/vhfdx/gm3sek-steppir-6m.pdf

73 from Ian GM3SEK

I've been looking at the Steppir to replace my very old
TH3mk4.  Actually I have been looking a several tower changes:
replace my 50-foot Rohn-25g with 45g* (if a Hazer for 45g can be
had); add a section to the other 25g tower and move the Hazer-4 to it
(has my HF yagi + 222 & 432 yagis); and add two sections 45g* to the
6m-eme tower.

But I digress: The 4-element Steppir would replace two antennas and
eliminate using a tuner 20m-6m.  But my concern is how well they
operate under cold wx and icy-snow conditions (which is not uncommon
in AK).  Maint. would be fairly convenient with Hazer lift to lower
to roof-top level (tower is wall-mounted on end of house so hazer
would drop to about 18-feet above ground).

Probably wishful thinking considering the cost of all these ideas
(need wife approval).  But as I get older more HF operation is
likely: mostly like chatting and a little light Dxing.  EME takes my
serious efforts <smile>

73, Ed - KL7UW
*Local ham has 400-foot of 45g which very unusual for up here

From: Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]