Re: [KX3] smallest, lightest possible hard case for KX3

Re: [KX3] smallest, lightest possible hard case for KX3

Dave Van Wallaghen
Eric,

I'm currently prototyping a custom hard case for the KX3. It is made of
black opaque acrylic and is just big enough to house the KX3. I put 1"
foam on the bottom with cut outs for the knobs and thin felt on the ends
and corners to protect the BNC ports and thumb screws. The KX3 fits face
down on the foam and case has a sliding top that slides over the KX3 and
latches it shut.

I'm working on two versions: one to just house the KX3 with no
accessories and another that would house the KX3 with the KXPD3 attached
and enough storage space for the MH3 mic, cord and accessory cord set.

The KX3 only version weighs in at just under 12 oz. I haven't weighed
the other version yet. I'm guessing under 1 lb. The acrylic is 1/8"
thick and the felt is 1/16" thick. So, the case is just a hair over
3/16" bigger than the KX3 itself and a little thicker than that for the
thickness to protect the VFO knob. I'm also working on a way to attach
D-rings to the sides so that a carrying strap may be utilized. I'm
really trying to be cognizant of the weight with this so that it can be
used for backpacking and hiking.

I am using Ron, AC7AC to help me test the cases and in turn he has
offered to provide some nice pics (he is a much better photographer than
I am. Besides I don't have a KX3 yet). I hadn't planned on posting
anything yet as I'm having some minor surgery done tomorrow and I'll be
out of the shop for a few days or more and will delay the prototyping
process. But as soon as I can get the prototypes to Ron and tested, I
will start to offer them on my website.

I also have a clear acrylic dust cover for the KX3 that protects the
face of the KX3 but still allows it to be connected to all your cabling.
This has been tested by a couple of hams for me and they report that it
works well. I will try to update my website during my recovery and come
up with pricing.

For those not familiar with my work, here is a link to my site:
http://w8fgu.home.comcast.net/~w8fgu/enclosures.html

I make enclosures for all of Elecraft's mini modules and I've also done
some custom key/paddle enclosure projects.

For anyone looking for soft cover protection, please don't forget Rose
Kopp. She makes great soft cover and carrying cases for all of
Elecraft's products. Ken and Rose always monitor the Elecraft and KX3 list.

Take care all & 73,
Dave W8FGU

On 03/20/2013 09:21 PM, eric norris wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for the smallest, lightest possible hard
> case for a kx3?  It must be able to take the weight of a fat old man
> falling on it repeatedly in the snow, at speed, arms and legs akimbo
> (that is, get jabbed by ski poles and skis).  I have a Pelican 1170, but
> I am looking for something smaller that the naked kx3 will just fit into.
>
> Thanks and 73
>
> Eric WD6DBM
>
> __._,_.___
> Reply to sender
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20smallest%2C%20lightest%20possible%20hard%20case%20for%20KX3>
> Reply to group
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20smallest%2C%20lightest%20possible%20hard%20case%20for%20KX3>
> Start a New Topic
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGtuaGdqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4Mjg5MTA->
> Messages in this topic
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/message/25503;_ylc=X3oDMTM3YWsxcmRpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNTUwMwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4Mjg5MTAEdHBjSWQDMjU1MDM->
> (1)
>
> Recent Activity:
>
>   * New Members
>     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJndTI4N24xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzYzODI4OTEw?o=6>
>     43
>   * New Photos
>     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJncWc5MmRsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2cGhvdARzdGltZQMxMzYzODI4OTEw>
>     20
>
> Visit Your Group
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3;_ylc=X3oDMTJmY243ZXE0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzNjM4Mjg5MTA->
>
> Yahoo! Groups
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaDgwZTY4BF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTM2MzgyODkxMA-->
>
> Switch to: Text-Only
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Change Delivery Format:
> Traditional>, Daily Digest
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> •
> Unsubscribe <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>
> • Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Feedback on the
> redesigned individual mail v1>
> .

Re: [KX3] smallest, lightest possible hard case for KX3

Randy Moore
Dave does great work!

73,
Randy, KS4L