Re: Morse Code to send on PSK32

WB0OEW
> I read in the Description you can use digital modes with the KX3 without a computer. After more reading you
> can only use PSK 32 without a computer if you send in Morse code using the built in bug. Is that correct?
> Thank You

Yes, and you can send RTTY that way also. No other digital modes are supported but more could be added to
the firmware if there is room and interest.

For reception you watch the decoded text scroll across a short display of about 10 characters.

Neither is all that great when compared to using a computer, but the rig's primary design goal was portable
ops and with that in mind it is quite clever and works remarkably well.

73, Elwood, WB0OEW

Re: Morse Code to send on PSK32

Thomas Madden
Thank you for the prompt reply. I am sorry to be a bit slow understanding but what do you send using the key? It must be Morse code? Thanks again.

On Jul 25, 2013, at 11:37 AM, "Elwood C. Downey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I read in the Description you can use digital modes with the KX3 without a computer. After more reading you
>> can only use PSK 32 without a computer if you send in Morse code using the built in bug. Is that correct?
>> Thank You
>
> Yes, and you can send RTTY that way also. No other digital modes are supported but more could be added to
> the firmware if there is room and interest.
>
> For reception you watch the decoded text scroll across a short display of about 10 characters.
>
> Neither is all that great when compared to using a computer, but the rig's primary design goal was portable
> ops and with that in mind it is quite clever and works remarkably well.
>
> 73, Elwood, WB0OEW

Re: Morse Code to send on PSK32

Don Wilhelm-4
Yes, send CW with the paddles (does not work with a straight key or any
external keying device) and the KX3 (K3 too) output will be either PSK31
or RTTY depending on whether you have chosen the PSK D or the FSK D data
sub-modes.  The KX3 does the translation from CW to either ASCII or
Baudot and sends the result in the chosen mode.

The decoded text is displayed in the VFO B area on the display. PSK31 or
RTTY without an attached computer.

I might add that if you connect a computer running the KX3 (or K3
utility., and select the Terminal tab. you will see the decoded text in
extended format (an enhancement of the short scrolling VFO display) and
you can send from the keyboard as well as from the paddles.

Of course if a computer is attached, one can use other computer
applications which include a waterfall display and other things provided
by Fldigi or HRD/DM780 or other digital mode applications. Those
applications normally use a soundcard interface, so you would run those
in DATA A mode.  MMTTY can be either soundcard oriented (DATA A or AFSK
A), or it can do FSK (K3 FSK D submode) if you drive the FSK input on
the ACC connector.

Lots of possibilities for data modes with the K3 - all have not yet been
developed for the KX3 (such as FSK keying), but may be forthcoming later.

On 7/25/2013 6:47 PM, Thomas Madden wrote:
> Thank you for the prompt reply. I am sorry to be a bit slow understanding but what do you send using the key? It must be Morse code? Thanks again.

Re: Morse Code to send on PSK32

Bill Frantz
Pedantic note: PSK use Varicode
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicode>, not ASCII. The take
home message about Varicode is that --like CW -- it is variable
in length with the frequently occurring characters being
shorter. Also, lower case letters are shorter than their upper
case equivalents, so upper case only messages take longer to transmit.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV/OK

On 7/25/13 at 4:17 PM, [hidden email] (Don Wilhelm) wrote:

>Yes, send CW with the paddles (does not work with a straight
>key or any external keying device) and the KX3 (K3 too) output
>will be either PSK31 or RTTY depending on whether you have
>chosen the PSK D or the FSK D data sub-modes.  The KX3 does the
>translation from CW to either ASCII or Baudot and sends the
>result in the chosen mode.

Re: Morse Code to send on PSK32

Julian, G4ILO
It would be great if PSK63 could be supported. Like 75 baud RTTY, it's popular in contests.

Julian, G4ILO

WB0OEW wrote
Yes, and you can send RTTY that way also. No other digital modes are supported but more could be added to
the firmware if there is room and interest.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html