Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

ve3bwp
Further to my earlier post I've decided to move forward and go with the KX3/KXPA100 combo to replace my ft817 AND my Kenwood TS590. The ft817 has already found its new home and my TS590 will soon be next. Again, it will be nice to just have one radio for base and QRP on trips.
I priced out what I think I'll need and it comes to $3.5k US ($5k cdn) so I'm hoping this can be done in stages.
So my question is if I buy just the KX3 and KXPA100 to start, will I be able to add in the internally mounted upgrades such as both antenna tuners, roofing filter, vhf module, battery charger etc later? Or are there certain options it's better to include upfront? Ve3bwp

Sent from my iPad

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Matt Zilmer-2
Hi Brian,

Given your initial intent (KX3/KXPA100), later installation of any
option module for either unit is quite easy to do and all are
well-documented in installation instructions.  The KX3 is designed as a
modular "package" and a lot of design intent went towards adding on as
the user wishes.  The KXPA100 is even easier to work on, being a larger
unit with fewer space constraints.

In the KX3, I would add the battery charger first, followed by the ATU,
then the VHF transverter after that.  Take a look at the installation
instructions for each, and use the assembly manual as a master guide.

You will enjoy using the KX3, I predict!

73!

matt W6NIA

On 10/6/2016 7:31 AM, Brian “VE3BWP” Pietrzyk wrote:

> Further to my earlier post I've decided to move forward and go with the KX3/KXPA100 combo to replace my ft817 AND my Kenwood TS590. The ft817 has already found its new home and my TS590 will soon be next. Again, it will be nice to just have one radio for base and QRP on trips.
> I priced out what I think I'll need and it comes to $3.5k US ($5k cdn) so I'm hoping this can be done in stages.
> So my question is if I buy just the KX3 and KXPA100 to start, will I be able to add in the internally mounted upgrades such as both antenna tuners, roofing filter, vhf module, battery charger etc later? Or are there certain options it's better to include upfront? Ve3bwp
>
> Sent from my iPad

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
www.elecraft.com
Office: 831-763-4211 x125
Mobile: 909-730-6552
[Shiraz]

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Brian,

The answer is YES, you can add any of those options later.
Review your operating aspirations to determine which options will
provide the most benefit for you, and in what timeframe.
If you have resonant antennas at the home station (or are willing to use
a manual tuner initially), then you can put off the KXAT100.
If your main immediate goal is for portable operation, I would suggest
that the KXAT3 would be a great help as well as the internal battery
charger, but if your portable operation is on hold for the Winter, then
you can add those next Spring.

I am suggesting that you look at the sequence for adding your options in
a way that will provide the most benefit for you while adhering to your
ham budget.

On 10/6/2016 10:31 AM, Brian “VE3BWP” Pietrzyk wrote:
> Further to my earlier post I've decided to move forward and go with the KX3/KXPA100 combo to replace my ft817 AND my Kenwood TS590. The ft817 has already found its new home and my TS590 will soon be next. Again, it will be nice to just have one radio for base and QRP on trips.
> I priced out what I think I'll need and it comes to $3.5k US ($5k cdn) so I'm hoping this can be done in stages.
> So my question is if I buy just the KX3 and KXPA100 to start, will I be able to add in the internally mounted upgrades such as both antenna tuners, roofing filter, vhf module, battery charger etc later? Or are there certain options it's better to include upfront? Ve3bwp

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Bob-2
I agree with Don on looking at the purchase sequencing.   I'd look at and
consider moving the roofing filters up on the priority list because of the
calibration required.  Per the manual page 1 if purchased even as a kit the
furnished roofing filter accessory is then furnished calibrated.

So look at the roofing filter manual and read the calibration procedure.  Would
you want to do it at a later date or buy with the original purchase and not have
to worry about it.   Looking at kit verses factory assembly. If factory
assembled was a consideration going for the kit would save 2/3 the price of the
roofing filter option.

The fun of building the kit and the satisfaction of the first turn on is priceless.

73,

Bob

K2TK ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

> The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
>> On Oct 6, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> The answer is YES, you can add any of those options later.
>> Review your operating aspirations to determine which options will provide the most benefit for you, and in what timeframe.
>> If you have resonant antennas at the home station (or are willing to use a manual tuner initially), then you can put off the KXAT100.
>> If your main immediate goal is for portable operation, I would suggest that the KXAT3 would be a great help as well as the internal battery charger, but if your portable operation is on hold for the Winter, then you can add those next Spring.
>>
>> I am suggesting that you look at the sequence for adding your options in a way that will provide the most benefit for you while adhering to your ham budget.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 10/6/2016 10:31 AM, Brian “VE3BWP” Pietrzyk wrote:
>>> Further to my earlier post I've decided to move forward and go with the KX3/KXPA100 combo to replace my ft817 AND my Kenwood TS590. The ft817 has already found its new home and my TS590 will soon be next. Again, it will be nice to just have one radio for base and QRP on trips.
>>> I priced out what I think I'll need and it comes to $3.5k US ($5k cdn) so I'm hoping this can be done in stages.
>>> So my question is if I buy just the KX3 and KXPA100 to start, will I be able to add in the internally mounted upgrades such as both antenna tuners, roofing filter, vhf module, battery charger etc later? Or are there certain options it's better to include upfront? Ve3bwp

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Elecraft mailing list
The best way, I think to answer your question is to base that on several things.
1.  How comfortable are you in digging into the building process.  Like Bob said the experience is priceless.2.  Monetarily, you have to way the convenience vs the cost based on your ability to do the assembly.3.  All of the options can be added later, as they have said, it is just a matter of priority.
I built the KX3 basic and added the ATU, VHF option and others later and it was a TRIP on first turn on to see I could do it........  Good Luck on your purchase you will not regret it.
Mel, K6KBE

I agree with Don on looking at the purchase sequencing.  I'd look at and
consider moving the roofing filters up on the priority list because of the
calibration required.  Per the manual page 1 if purchased even as a kit the
furnished roofing filter accessory is then furnished calibrated.

So look at the roofing filter manual and read the calibration procedure.  Would
you want to do it at a later date or buy with the original purchase and not have
to worry about it.  Looking at kit verses factory assembly. If factory
assembled was a consideration going for the kit would save 2/3 the price of the
roofing filter option.

The fun of building the kit and the satisfaction of the first turn on is priceless.

73,

Bob

K2TK ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

> The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
>> On Oct 6, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> The answer is YES, you can add any of those options later.
>> Review your operating aspirations to determine which options will provide the most benefit for you, and in what timeframe.
>> If you have resonant antennas at the home station (or are willing to use a manual tuner initially), then you can put off the KXAT100.
>> If your main immediate goal is for portable operation, I would suggest that the KXAT3 would be a great help as well as the internal battery charger, but if your portable operation is on hold for the Winter, then you can add those next Spring.
>>
>> I am suggesting that you look at the sequence for adding your options in a way that will provide the most benefit for you while adhering to your ham budget.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 10/6/2016 10:31 AM, Brian “VE3BWP” Pietrzyk wrote:
>>> Further to my earlier post I've decided to move forward and go with the KX3/KXPA100 combo to replace my ft817 AND my Kenwood TS590. The ft817 has already found its new home and my TS590 will soon be next. Again, it will be nice to just have one radio for base and QRP on trips.
>>> I priced out what I think I'll need and it comes to $3.5k US ($5k cdn) so I'm hoping this can be done in stages.
>>> So my question is if I buy just the KX3 and KXPA100 to start, will I be able to add in the internally mounted upgrades such as both antenna tuners, roofing filter, vhf module, battery charger etc later? Or are there certain options it's better to include upfront? Ve3bwp

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Raymond Sills
Also, IF you order the roofing filter for the KX3…. even with a kit purchase…. the factory will calibrate it for you, so all you need do is install the little board.  They have a test jig, so that the filter will be tested with YOUR particular main board.  Best of both worlds… save some money, and get free factory calibration.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

vk2rq
Does the factory do a full per-band calibration, or do they just calibrate on 20m and extrapolate? If the latter I'd suggest to do the full per-band calibration yourself even for a factory-fitted roofing filter, as it does make a difference (obviously back up your config first so you can restore to factory settings/calibration if needed)

73, Matt VK2RQ

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:38 AM +1100, "Ray Sills" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also, IF you order the roofing filter for the KX3…. even with a kit purchase…. the factory will calibrate it for you, so all you need do is install the little board.  They have a test jig, so that the filter will be tested with YOUR particular main board.  Best of both worlds… save some money, and get free factory calibration.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Walter Underwood  wrote:
>
> The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Brendon Whateley
Given my understanding of the roofing filter design in the KX3, I don't
think there is any per-band adjustments to make. IIRC, the filter is an
analog low-pass filter that operates after the direct down-conversion.

If I'm wrong, then please set me straight. Especially because I'm
considering adding the filter to my KX3.

- Brendon

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Matt Maguire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does the factory do a full per-band calibration, or do they just calibrate
> on 20m and extrapolate? If the latter I'd suggest to do the full per-band
> calibration yourself even for a factory-fitted roofing filter, as it does
> make a difference (obviously back up your config first so you can restore
> to factory settings/calibration if needed)
>
> 73, Matt VK2RQ
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:38 AM +1100, "Ray Sills" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> Also, IF you order the roofing filter for the KX3…. even with a kit
> purchase…. the factory will calibrate it for you, so all you need do is
> install the little board.  They have a test jig, so that the filter will be
> tested with YOUR particular main board.  Best of both worlds… save some
> money, and get free factory calibration.
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
> KX3 #211
>

> > On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Walter Underwood  wrote:
> >
> > The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are
> factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are
> exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
> >
> > wunder
> > K6WRU
> > Walter Underwood
> > CM87wj
> > http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Oliver Dröse
Brendon,

it is per band and it makes a real difference!

73, Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 07.10.2016 um 17:59 schrieb Brendon Whateley:

> Given my understanding of the roofing filter design in the KX3, I don't
> think there is any per-band adjustments to make. IIRC, the filter is an
> analog low-pass filter that operates after the direct down-conversion.
>
> If I'm wrong, then please set me straight. Especially because I'm
> considering adding the filter to my KX3.
>
> - Brendon
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Matt Maguire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does the factory do a full per-band calibration, or do they just calibrate
>> on 20m and extrapolate? If the latter I'd suggest to do the full per-band
>> calibration yourself even for a factory-fitted roofing filter, as it does
>> make a difference (obviously back up your config first so you can restore
>> to factory settings/calibration if needed)
>>
>> 73, Matt VK2RQ
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:38 AM +1100, "Ray Sills" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Also, IF you order the roofing filter for the KX3…. even with a kit
>> purchase…. the factory will calibrate it for you, so all you need do is
>> install the little board.  They have a test jig, so that the filter will be
>> tested with YOUR particular main board.  Best of both worlds… save some
>> money, and get free factory calibration.
>>
>> 73 de Ray
>> K2ULR
>> KX3 #211
>>

>>> On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Walter Underwood  wrote:
>>>
>>> The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are
>> factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are
>> exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
>>> wunder
>>> K6WRU
>>> Walter Underwood
>>> CM87wj
>>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

vk2rq
Hi Brendon,
In a way you are right, but consider this: the per-band nulling procedure is to compensate for amplitude and phase variations introduced in the LO and quad mixer which can be different from band to band. However, when you put a roofing filter in the signalling path, it will introduce a further amplitude and phase imbalance (which as you say will be the same for all bands). The per-band nulling parameters you set up before adding the roofing filter will all need to be adjusted to take the impact of the roofing filter into account. This is why you should repeat the whole nulling calibration for each band when you add a roofing filter. Does this make any sense?

73, Matt VK2RQ

                _____________________________
Given my understanding of the roofing filter design in the KX3, I don't think there is any per-band adjustments to make. IIRC, the filter is an analog low-pass filter that operates after the direct down-conversion.
If I'm wrong, then please set me straight. Especially because I'm considering adding the filter to my KX3.
- Brendon
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Matt Maguire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does the factory do a full per-band calibration, or do they just calibrate on 20m and extrapolate? If the latter I'd suggest to do the full per-band calibration yourself even for a factory-fitted roofing filter, as it does make a difference (obviously back up your config first so you can restore to factory settings/calibration if needed)

73, Matt VK2RQ

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:38 AM +1100, "Ray Sills" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also, IF you order the roofing filter for the KX3…. even with a kit purchase…. the factory will calibrate it for you, so all you need do is install the little board.  They have a test jig, so that the filter will be tested with YOUR particular main board.  Best of both worlds… save some money, and get free factory calibration.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Walter Underwood  wrote:
>
> The roofing filters require some calibration. If they are factory-installed, Elecraft does that for you. All the other options are exactly the same whether factory-installed or user-installed.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Soon to be an Elecraft(er)!

Brendon Whateley
Yes, thank you Matt for the explanation. I obviously didn't think it
through as well as I should have.

- Brendon
KK6AYI