Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHF offering from Elecraft?

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHF offering from Elecraft?

Kevin G
        Sounds like a great idea to me, speaking for myself I enjoy making SSB contacts on the VHF UHF bands.

Kevin Gallagher

"And the years Are Gambled And Lost, Like Summer Wages" Ian Tyson

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Dave-5
And CW...

Dave (G0DJA)

> Sounds like a great idea to me, speaking for myself I enjoy making SSB
> contacts on the VHF UHF bands.
>

> Kevin Gallagher

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Ted Edwards W3TB
Yes for CW.
This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of operating
on the repeaters.

Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace Field
Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs would
discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen, but
this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And CW...
>
> Dave (G0DJA)
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin G" <[hidden email]>

73 de Ted Edwards, W3TB and GØPWW

and thinking about operating CW:
"Do today what others won't,
so you can do tomorrow what others can't."

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.

Better if Elecraft were to spend their development time on with
simultaneous crossband receive and reverse VFO tracking with the
K3/KRX3 for satellite operation and working on a larger, true
home station, 200W K4.

On 1/31/2014 8:56 AM, Ted Edwards W3TB wrote:

> Yes for CW.
> This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of operating
> on the repeaters.
>
> Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace Field
> Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs would
> discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen, but
> this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And CW...
>>
>> Dave (G0DJA)
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin G" <[hidden email]>

John Klewer
Or.....the planned additions to the P3?

John

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:08:14 -0500, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
> K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.
>
> Better if Elecraft were to spend their development time on with
> simultaneous crossband receive and reverse VFO tracking with the
> K3/KRX3 for satellite operation and working on a larger, true
> home station, 200W K4.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 1/31/2014 8:56 AM, Ted Edwards W3TB wrote:
> > Yes for CW.
> > This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of operating
> > on the repeaters.
> >
> > Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace Field
> > Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs would
> > discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen, but
> > this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> And CW...
> >>
> >> Dave (G0DJA)
> >>
> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin G" <[hidden email]>

Fred Smith
I have had one since it came out and does quite well in fact the IC-9100
does it all including D-Star which has an active repeater in this area. I
bought mine when they first came out about 3 1/2 yrs ago there about and do
have all the filters for it.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 5210--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KAT500--W2
Amps Elecraft KPA500 HF/6m--Alpha's 9500 HF--87A HF--Mirage B-5030-G
300+w--(2) B-5016-G's 165w 2m

No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.

Better if Elecraft were to spend their development time on with simultaneous
crossband receive and reverse VFO tracking with the
K3/KRX3 for satellite operation and working on a larger, true home station,
200W K4.

On 1/31/2014 8:56 AM, Ted Edwards W3TB wrote:
> Yes for CW.
> This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of
> operating on the repeaters.
>
> Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace
> Field Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs
would
> discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen,
but

> this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And CW...
>>
>> Dave (G0DJA)
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin G" <[hidden email]>

W1KSZ
A 200 Watt "K4" !!!

Now that's something that would push me over the edge into "K-Land".
The idea of dropping back to 100 watts with the K3 (assuming I sell my
FTDX5KMP) is not too appealing.

And, please, no comments about it's only 3 dB, that 3 dB does make
a difference.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

> No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
> K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.
>
> Better if Elecraft were to spend their development time on with
> simultaneous crossband receive and reverse VFO tracking with the
> K3/KRX3 for satellite operation and working on a larger, true
> home station, 200W K4.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 1/31/2014 8:56 AM, Ted Edwards W3TB wrote:
>> Yes for CW.
>> This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of
>> operating
>> on the repeaters.
>>
>> Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace
>> Field
>> Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs
>> would
>> discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't
>> happen, but
>> this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF. Good idea!
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Dave <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> And CW...
>>>
>>> Dave (G0DJA)
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin G" <[hidden email]>

Phil Hystad-3
Actually, I would like to see any of the following come out of Elecraft:

1.  A 2-meter "brick" 100-watt amplifier to go along with the 2-meter options of the K3 and (future) KX3.

2.  A new full kit smaller than the K2 but based on today's technology (maybe part of it can be SMT).  I say this because the K2 is really about the same ballpark price as a KX3.  I think here I am thinking of an upgraded K1 -- CW only suits me just fine.

3.  Those new features of the P3 such as full P3 screen (if I want it) CW & Data decode and possibly support of a keyboard for data (i.e. remove the need of a separate computer for data mode).

4.  A new smaller footprint (?) 100-watt auto-tuner, maybe a slightly re-engineered version of the KAT100 with features along the lines of the KAT500.  Preferably lean to lower cost if possible (~$250?).

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Phil Hystad-3
P.S.

Need to add one more item as number (5) in the list below:

5.  A new technology Graphene based radio, it could be called the KC12 (in honor of Carbon of course):

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24976-first-graphene-radio-broadcast-is-a-wireless-wonder.html#.UuvGZXnKzd4

On Jan 31, 2014, at 7:44 AM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, I would like to see any of the following come out of Elecraft:
>
> 1.  A 2-meter "brick" 100-watt amplifier to go along with the 2-meter options of the K3 and (future) KX3.
>
> 2.  A new full kit smaller than the K2 but based on today's technology (maybe part of it can be SMT).  I say this because the K2 is really about the same ballpark price as a KX3.  I think here I am thinking of an upgraded K1 -- CW only suits me just fine.
>
> 3.  Those new features of the P3 such as full P3 screen (if I want it) CW & Data decode and possibly support of a keyboard for data (i.e. remove the need of a separate computer for data mode).
>
> 4.  A new smaller footprint (?) 100-watt auto-tuner, maybe a slightly re-engineered version of the KAT100 with features along the lines of the KAT500.  Preferably lean to lower cost if possible (~$250?).
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Edward R Cole
Ted,

You really expected a VHF contest to sound like Field day on the HF
bands?  That tells me that you do not regularly operate VHF-ssb.

I have been pleading with the FM repeater HT hams for years to
explore the fun of VHF-ssb/cw/digital modes with multi types of
propagation and the response is they don't have the time, the cash,
the know-how, the property that allows antennas, etc. etc.

There is plenty VHF multi-mode radios available plus a wide
assortment of transverters, plus very economical surplus multi-modes
from past years.  Radio supply is not the problem.  With the
exception of 2m-eme using digital modes there is just not much
interest by the usual VHF users and especially new hams.  Satellite
use has dwindled due to lack of cheap launch capability so new
satellites are essentially orbiting repeaters for the most part.

A radio with the capabilities you request will be in the $3000 class
(If not more).  A K3/10 + transverters will accomplish this if you
want Elecraft equipment at less than that (I think).  Or one could
buy the KX3 and add the 2M module when it comes out.  Then add
transverters for 222, 432, 1296.

In 2012, I sold my FT-847 to purchase a 222-28 and 432-28 transverter
to go with my K3/10 which I already had 144-28 and 1296-28
transverters.  The K3 + transverters make a "way superior" combo than
any multi-mode VHF/UHF that I have seen.

I am QRV from 600m to 3cm!

73, Ed - KL7UW
PS:  I worked three stations in the Jan. VHF Contest!

From: Ted Edwards W3TB <[hidden email]>
To: Dave <[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Would anyone like to see an all-mode
         VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Yes for CW.
This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of operating
on the repeaters.

Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace Field
Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs would
discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen, but
this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

John Lemay
Ed and all

Don't forget that the situation in Europe is somewhat different. In 6m and
2m IARU Region 1 contests there is the potential for 600 to 800 contacts in
a 24 hour period. On 70cms it's around 250 QSO's for the leading groups. And
in the UK we have VHF evening activity contests where almost 200 Q's can be
made in 2-1/2 hours.

So, point number 1 is that activity is higher and therefore the potential
sale of VHF rigs is different.

Point 1 leads to Point 2: This level of activity brings with it a very
demanding requirement on the receiver, to provide sensitivity for the
smallest of signals, and good selectivity and extreme dynamic range to cope
with your near neighbours. Elecraft know how to deal with big signals.

The reason I would support Elecraft going the VHF route is because the
performance of the current "shack in the box" multimode, multiband rigs is
woefully inadequate in the criteria listed in my previous paragraph.

See you on the Moon again sometime ..........

Regards

John G4ZTR

From: Ted Edwards W3TB <[hidden email]>
To: Dave <[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
         VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?
<[hidden email]>

Yes for CW.
This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of operating
on the repeaters.

Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace Field
Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs would
discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen, but
this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Charlie T, K3ICH

I've been on 50 MHz since the time when DXCC was impossible since there were
not 100 countries in the world that had six meter privileges *.  I even have
a QSL from a pirate in Scotland  (back in the 70's ??)  before they got the
go ahead after ch1 TV was shut down in Europe.

Every propagation mode known happens at one time or another on 50 MHz.
Moonbounce, E skip, Tropo, F2, Aurora, Meteor scatter, Back scatter, and
good old Ground wave if you're diligent. There are many beacons all around
the world below 50.1.  Check there first before you say the band is dead.

Two meters is right behind.  About the only mode I haven't heard there is
F-2.  There's even E skip on 220 Mhz.

There's LOTs to do above 50 MHz.

That said with all the enthusiasm, I can't really see Elecraft making a
dedicated VHF/UHF radio when they already have some very good transverters
available.  I would have to agree that effort to fill some holes on the P3
would be of more interest to me.

73, Charlie k3ICH

*
 140 countries confirmed on six meters, plus WAS, WAC,  and 37 states
confirmed with NO moonbounce on two meters from here in Virginia.

> You really expected a VHF contest to sound like Field day on the HF bands?
> That tells me that you do not regularly operate VHF-ssb.
>
> I have been pleading with the FM repeater HT hams for years to explore the
> fun of VHF-ssb/cw/digital modes with multi types of propagation and the
> response is they don't have the time, the cash, the know-how, the property
> that allows antennas, etc. etc.
>
> There is plenty VHF multi-mode radios available plus a wide assortment of
> transverters, plus very economical surplus multi-modes from past years.
> Radio supply is not the problem.  With the exception of 2m-eme using
> digital modes there is just not much interest by the usual VHF users and
> especially new hams.  Satellite use has dwindled due to lack of cheap
> launch capability so new satellites are essentially orbiting repeaters for
> the most part.
>
> A radio with the capabilities you request will be in the $3000 class (If
> not more).  A K3/10 + transverters will accomplish this if you want
> Elecraft equipment at less than that (I think).  Or one could buy the KX3
> and add the 2M module when it comes out.  Then add transverters for 222,
> 432, 1296.
>
> In 2012, I sold my FT-847 to purchase a 222-28 and 432-28 transverter to
> go with my K3/10 which I already had 144-28 and 1296-28 transverters.  The
> K3 + transverters make a "way superior" combo than any multi-mode VHF/UHF
> that I have seen.
>
> I am QRV from 600m to 3cm!
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW
> PS:  I worked three stations in the Jan. VHF Contest!
>
> From: Ted Edwards W3TB <[hidden email]>
> To: Dave <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Would anyone like to see an all-mode
>         VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?
> <[hidden email]>
>
> Yes for CW.
> This would be a GREAT way to get our Techs beyond the limits of operating
> on the repeaters.
>
> Some years ago, I had expected the June/Sept VHF Contests to replace Field
> Day as the big participation event for local clubs as the new Techs would
> discover the many other ways to use their licenses.   It didn't happen,
> but
> this might help move along greater participation on VHF/UHF.  Good idea!
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW
> http://www.kl7uw.com
>     "Kits made by KL7UW"
> Dubus Mag business:
>     [hidden email]

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

w2bvh
Hear hear! Also, if it was a modular rig, like the 736, they've got 30-40% of the work already done in the current product line. Pieces of the transverter designs + parts of the KX3 would be usable.

Lenny
W2BVH

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Lewis Phelps
Joe, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that "it already exists."  The functionality exists, but not in a form factor that makes it easy to use in portable situations. Many VHF/UHF contesters (myself included) operate from mountain peaks, to gain greater distance to the "radio horizon." Unless you want to invest in an RV or van, it becomes a real challenge to squeeze a K3 plus a couple of transverters, plus a laptop for logging, plus antenna rotator controls, plus a couple of brick amplifiers,  plus a whole bunch of coaxial cable, into a vehicle. I know, because I cram all that sort of stuff into a Jeep Cherokee for contest events. I can carry it in the Jeep, but setting up to operate inside the Jeep isn't easy. Since you can't count on benign weather atop 9,000 foot -plus peaks, setting up on a table outside the vehicle isn't a viable alternative.  A K3-based successor to the Yaesu FT-736 would be far, far better.

I don't know how widespread a market exists for such a rig, but one can dream.

Lew

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10
Yaesu FT-7800
[hidden email]
www.ntlew.us

On Jan 31, 2014, at 6:08 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
> K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> A K3-based successor to the Yaesu FT-736 would be  far, far better.

The FT-736R is at least half again the size three times the weight
of the K3/10 with KXV-2 for approximately the same power output.  One
still needed external amplifiers for reasonable (> 100W) power level.

There is little difference in size, weight and complexity between the
K3/10 with KXV-2 plus XV-220/430 (or K3/100 with XV-144/220/430) and
the FT-736R but the performance difference is night and day.

If one wants it all in one box get the IC-9100, TS-2000 or even an
IC-7000 or 706mkIIg.  I can't think of anything more compact that
the 706mkIIg or 7000 and I doubt that Elecraft can or would compete
with that size/price.

On 1/31/2014 3:12 PM, Lewis Phelps wrote:
> Joe, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that "it already
exists." The functionality exists, but not in a form factor that makes
it easy to use in portable situations. Many VHF/UHF contesters (myself
included) operate from mountain peaks, to gain greater distance to the
"radio horizon." Unless you want to invest in an RV or van, it becomes a
real challenge to squeeze a K3 plus a couple of transverters, plus a
laptop for logging, plus antenna rotator controls, plus a couple of
brick amplifiers, plus a whole bunch of coaxial cable, into a vehicle. I
know, because I cram all that sort of stuff into a Jeep Cherokee for
contest events. I can carry it in the Jeep, but setting up to operate
inside the Jeep isn't easy. Since you can't count on benign weather atop
9,000 foot -plus peaks, setting up on a table outside the vehicle isn't
a viable alternative. A K3-based successor to the Yaesu FT-736 would be
far, far better.

> I don't know how widespread a market exists for such a rig, but one can dream.
>
> Lew
>
> Lew Phelps N6LEW
> Pasadena, CA DM04wd
> Elecraft K3-10
> Yaesu FT-7800
> [hidden email]
> www.ntlew.us
>

> On Jan 31, 2014, at 6:08 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
>> K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

riese-k3djc
more knobs more buttons,,, hundreds of buttons

HAR

Bob K3DJC

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:36:58 -0500 "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]>
writes:

> > A K3-based successor to the Yaesu FT-736 would be  far, far
> better.
>
> The FT-736R is at least half again the size three times the weight
> of the K3/10 with KXV-2 for approximately the same power output.
> One
> still needed external amplifiers for reasonable (> 100W) power
> level.
>
> There is little difference in size, weight and complexity between
> the
> K3/10 with KXV-2 plus XV-220/430 (or K3/100 with XV-144/220/430)
> and
> the FT-736R but the performance difference is night and day.

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

Ken G Kopp
Don't forget the blocks of lead for added weigh (:-)

K0PP
On Jan 31, 2014 1:48 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> more knobs more buttons,,, hundreds of buttons
>
> HAR
>
> Bob K3DJC
>

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:36:58 -0500 "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]>
> writes:
> >
> > > A K3-based successor to the Yaesu FT-736 would be  far, far
> > better.
> >
> > The FT-736R is at least half again the size three times the weight
> > of the K3/10 with KXV-2 for approximately the same power output.
> > One
> > still needed external amplifiers for reasonable (> 100W) power
> > level.
> >
> > There is little difference in size, weight and complexity between
> > the
> > K3/10 with KXV-2 plus XV-220/430 (or K3/100 with XV-144/220/430)
> > and
> > the FT-736R but the performance difference is night and day.

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFofferingfrom Elecraft?

Joe K2UF
Will this radio be available for this years June VHF contest?

( I want to be the first one ask about the estimated shipping date for a new
Elecraft product.  ;o)  )

Joe K2UF

writes:

> > A K3-based successor to the Yaesu FT-736 would be  far, far
> better.
>
> The FT-736R is at least half again the size three times the weight
> of the K3/10 with KXV-2 for approximately the same power output.
> One
> still needed external amplifiers for reasonable (> 100W) power
> level.
>
> There is little difference in size, weight and complexity between
> the
> K3/10 with KXV-2 plus XV-220/430 (or K3/100 with XV-144/220/430)
> and
> the FT-736R but the performance difference is night and day.

Re: Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHFoffering from Elecraft?

John Marvin
One issue with the XV transverter option is that they only cover part of
each of the bands, dropping the regions primarily used for FM repeater
and FM simplex use. Even if someone wants the transverter primarily for
non FM modes, they still might want to be able to also use the rig for
FM repeater base station operations. Even the KX3 2m module recognizes
this by providing coverage for the entire 2m band, plus extended range
at reduced sensitivity, whereas the XV144 only covers the lower half of
the band.

John
AC0ZG

> No, it already exists in the K3/10 with XV-144/220/432 or the
> K3/10 with KXV-144 for those wanting only 6 and 2.
>
> Better if Elecraft were to spend their development time on with
> simultaneous crossband receive and reverse VFO tracking with the
> K3/KRX3 for satellite operation and working on a larger, true
> home station, 200W K4.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Would anyone like to see an all-mode VHF/UHF offering from Elecraft?

John Santillo
In my opinion, no.

The satellite days are over until AMSAT and the government can work out
their ITAR differences.  I don't have any desire to invest in any equipment
for FM satellites.

For VHF/UHF contesting transverters are the operational choice.  That said a
10M radio specifically designed for use with transverters I would like to
see.  It would be narrowband, maximum of +10dBm of drive (adjustable), have
IF Shift, some DSP and have same computer and sound card interfaces the K3
has.

73,

John
N2HMM