Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Doug Ellmore Sr.
The rules for CQ WW require competitors shooting for top honors to have
recorded their complete contest operation:

http://www.cqww.com/rules/current_rules_cqww.pdf

*C. Audio Recordings: Any single operator entrant (see V.A.1) competing for
a top three finish at the (a) World, (b) Continent, or (c) USA levels, must
record the transmitted and received audio as heard by the operator for the
duration of the contest operation. The recording must be in a common format
(e.g., mp3) and should include the audio to each ear as a separate channel.
The recording may be requested by the Committee within 90 days after the
log deadline to help adjudicate the log. The recording files must be
provided by the entrant within 5 days of the request. If no recording is
made available, the Committee may reclassify or disqualify the entry.*

I am curious how K3 and or KX3 users might be going about doing this.

73,

Doug NA1DX

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Jorge Diez - CX6VM-2
Hi Doug

Just a cable from LINE OUT to a recorder

73,
Jorge
CX6VM/Cw5W

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Kevin Cozens-2
On 15-10-19 11:09 AM, Doug Ellmore wrote:
> The rules for CQ WW require competitors shooting for top honors to have
> recorded their complete contest operation:

Seriously? I'm curious to know how long has this been in the rules for the
CQ WW contests? I suppose anyone going for top honours is going to be doing
computer logging so it could also be used to record the audio during the
entire contest period. I wonder what would happen if some glitch occurred on
the computer and some(?) of the audio got lost.

Connections for recording from a K-line radio would be easy enough. Tap off
the headphone jack and feed it in to the line in or mic in on a computer, or
other device capable of recording audio for the duration of the contest.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Wes (N7WS)
I believe it was within the last year:

On 10/19/2015 11:57 AM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

> On 15-10-19 11:09 AM, Doug Ellmore wrote:
>> The rules for CQ WW require competitors shooting for top honors to have
>> recorded their complete contest operation:
>
> Seriously? I'm curious to know how long has this been in the rules for the CQ
> WW contests? I suppose anyone going for top honours is going to be doing
> computer logging so it could also be used to record the audio during the
> entire contest period. I wonder what would happen if some glitch occurred on
> the computer and some(?) of the audio got lost.
>
> Connections for recording from a K-line radio would be easy enough. Tap off
> the headphone jack and feed it in to the line in or mic in on a computer, or
> other device capable of recording audio for the duration of the contest.

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Stephen Shearer
I guess I need to read the rules...
Are they for real?
I "was" thinking of running portable KX3 on just 40m in my spare time on
a boy scout weekend as cook staff for the Cub Scout Family camping
weekend.  After looking at the QRP scores from last year, one qrp op won
with 1,2, 3 for many levels with just a few contacts.  (now that I gave
away my secret plan) I do have a digital recorder and a headphone amp...
BUT I take too much "junk" as it is.  I guess I could use MON to record
transmission and maybe I can find/make a splitter for the
headphone/recorder.
Don't they use software to compare logs against each other for cheating?
  I would think that would be enough?

73, Steve WB3LGC (contest = operating QRP as NR3I from Dover, DE)

On 19-Oct-15 11:09 AM, Doug Ellmore wrote:

> The rules for CQ WW require competitors shooting for top honors to have
> recorded their complete contest operation:
>
> http://www.cqww.com/rules/current_rules_cqww.pdf
>
> *C. Audio Recordings: Any single operator entrant (see V.A.1) competing for
> a top three finish at the (a) World, (b) Continent, or (c) USA levels, must
> record the transmitted and received audio as heard by the operator for the
> duration of the contest operation. The recording must be in a common format
> (e.g., mp3) and should include the audio to each ear as a separate channel.
> The recording may be requested by the Committee within 90 days after the
> log deadline to help adjudicate the log. The recording files must be
> provided by the entrant within 5 days of the request. If no recording is
> made available, the Committee may reclassify or disqualify the entry.*
>
> I am curious how K3 and or KX3 users might be going about doing this.
>

> 73,
>
> Doug NA1DX

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

Real the requirements carefully ---
Unless you are competing for the top positions, do not worry about it.
Running portable on just 40 meters in your spare time is not likely to
generate a score that will rank in the top 3.

On 10/19/2015 5:54 PM, Stephen Shearer wrote:

> I guess I need to read the rules...
> Are they for real?
> I "was" thinking of running portable KX3 on just 40m in my spare time
> on a boy scout weekend as cook staff for the Cub Scout Family camping
> weekend.  After looking at the QRP scores from last year, one qrp op
> won with 1,2, 3 for many levels with just a few contacts.  (now that I
> gave away my secret plan) I do have a digital recorder and a headphone
> amp... BUT I take too much "junk" as it is.  I guess I could use MON
> to record transmission and maybe I can find/make a splitter for the
> headphone/recorder.
> Don't they use software to compare logs against each other for
> cheating?  I would think that would be enough?

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Stephen Shearer
well... That may depend on how you define top position.
1 (one) contact 20m QRP (6 points) = 1st in 1st call area, 3rd in North
America see
http://www.cqww.com/certs/do_certificate.php?cl=AB1HD&yr=2014&mode=SSB
I guess he was trying to make a point?

steve

On 19-Oct-15 6:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Real the requirements carefully ---
> Unless you are competing for the top positions, do not worry about it.
> Running portable on just 40 meters in your spare time is not likely to
> generate a score that will rank in the top 3.

> On 10/19/2015 5:54 PM, Stephen Shearer wrote:
>> I guess I need to read the rules...

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

WB6DJI
New ICOM IC-7851 can do this, for TX and RX record this all on a single SD card on IC-7851 for the whole CQWW DX contest for you.
73 Mike

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Chester Alderman
For $14,500 bucks one should suspect the 7851 could be able to do anything?

No thanks...I will stick with my K3!

73,
Tom

New ICOM IC-7851 can do this, for TX and RX record this all on a single SD card on IC-7851 for the whole CQWW DX contest for you.
73 Mike

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Jim Vohland
Good point. Heck for 10 grand, I'll come over and videotape the entire evolution. Leaves ya almost enough for a new K3S --- for sure a used K3.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:06:08 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Recording CQ WW CW and SSB
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> For $14,500 bucks one should suspect the 7851 could be able to do anything?
>
> No thanks...I will stick with my K3!
>
> 73,
> Tom

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

frank-2
I wonder, how many DX contest winner plaques can you buy for $14,500.

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:06:08 -0400
"Chester Alderman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For $14,500 bucks one should suspect the 7851 could be able to do anything?
>
> No thanks...I will stick with my K3!
>
> 73,
> Tom

Frank - K5DKZ
KX3 - 7550
PX3 - 1143
KXPA100 - 1566

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

David Cutter
A modestly priced stereo voice recorder that I use for other things (Olympus
WS-812) could easily do a 48 hour contest.  Held in a wooden jig with an ear bud
adjacent each mic it will do a good job.  The thing it lacks is a quick way to
search.  Over 48 hours there would be some timing error in playback mode, but I
suppose some sub-audible codes could be imposed onto the recording from an
independent clock timer if this were crucial.

Incidentally, I've often thought this would be useful for training purposes.

David

G3UNA

>     On 20 October 2015 at 16:11 Jim Vohland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>     Good point. Heck for 10 grand, I'll come over and videotape the entire
> evolution. Leaves ya almost enough for a new K3S --- for sure a used K3.
>

>     > From: [hidden email]
>     > To: [hidden email]
>     > Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:06:08 -0400
>     > Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Recording CQ WW CW and SSB
>     > CC: [hidden email]
>     >
>     > For $14,500 bucks one should suspect the 7851 could be able to do
>     > anything?
>     >
>     > No thanks...I will stick with my K3!
>     >
>     > 73,
>     > Tom
>     >
>     >

>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>     Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

K5WA
Doug,

I have a pair of K3 rigs and just pull a parallel stereo (Y connector) feed
from my SO2R box headphone output and put it in the LINE IN jack of my
computer's sound card.  Works great with Audacity and a low fidelity
selection speed running on my contesting logging computer.  An entire 48
hour contest is about 150MB if you have the fidelity set low enough.  If you
have a single rig, the same idea would apply to the headphone jack.

Good luck,
Bob K5WA

Message: 2

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

JoeW
Well. . .  In the spirit of the original thread, how much of an effort would
it have been to record this "top position" example ?

/joe

well... That may depend on how you define top position.
1 (one) contact 20m QRP (6 points) = 1st in 1st call area, 3rd in North
America see
http://www.cqww.com/certs/do_certificate.php?cl=AB1HD&yr=2014&mode=SSB
I guess he was trying to make a point?

steve

On 19-Oct-15 6:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Real the requirements carefully ---
> Unless you are competing for the top positions, do not worry about it.
> Running portable on just 40 meters in your spare time is not likely to
> generate a score that will rank in the top 3.

> On 10/19/2015 5:54 PM, Stephen Shearer wrote:
>> I guess I need to read the rules...

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Al Gulseth-2
Does the 7851 come pre-installed as a mobile rig in a car for that price? I'd
think you could close to buy a nice Elecraft rig, a recording device (if
needed) for contests, AND a decent used car for that money. That is, unless
you want to pretend that you're a commercial airline pilot with all those
buttons and knobs. For me, by the time I got everything adjusted the way I
wanted on that rig, the station I was trying to work would be long gone. TNX
to Elecraft for sticking with clean and simple (by comparison with the 7851
et al) easy to use front panel layouts....

73, Al

On Tue October 20 2015 10:06:08 am Chester Alderman wrote:

> For $14,500 bucks one should suspect the 7851 could be able to do anything?
>
> No thanks...I will stick with my K3!
>
> 73,
> Tom

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SS

Michael Walker
Use N1MM+ which is free to do your logging and QSORDER which is also free.  Both these run on your PC.

Many have done it for years like this. Each qso is logged as a separate audio file and it works wonderfully.

I've done it from my remote base logging the audio locally for the past 4 or 5 years.

Mike va3mw

> On Oct 20, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Michael Aust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> New ICOM IC-7851 can do this, for TX and RX record this all on a single SD card on IC-7851 for the whole CQWW DX contest for you.
> 73 Mike

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SSB

Graham Kimbell
I use a Zoom H2 stereo recorder which has a line input you can connect
direct to the K3 line out. You can set the recording format to something
economical like .mp3 at 48kbps - don't need hifi. It connects to a
computer with USB. They're used for live music so good quality (AFAICT).

I don't envy the people that have to listen to it all though!!!!!

73
Graham

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SS

Hank Garretson
QSO Recorder does not meet the letter of CQWW rules:

*C. Audio Recordings:* Any single operator entrant (see V.A.1) competing
> for a top three finish at the (a) World, (b) Continent, or (c) USA levels,
> must record the transmitted and received audio as heard by the operator for
> the duration of the contest operation.

Contest Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Mike va3mw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Use N1MM+ which is free to do your logging and QSORDER which is also
> free.  Both these run on your PC.
>
> Many have done it for years like this. Each qso is logged as a separate
> audio file and it works wonderfully.
>
> I've done it from my remote base logging the audio locally for the past 4
> or 5 years.
>
> Mike va3mw

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SS

Hank Garretson
N4ZR reminds me that QSO Recorder has been recently updated to allow
continuous recording which would satisfy CQWW rules.

The each-QSO mode suggested below would not satisfy CQWW rules.

Contest Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Hank Garretson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> QSO Recorder does not meet the letter of CQWW rules:
>
> *C. Audio Recordings:* Any single operator entrant (see V.A.1) competing
>> for a top three finish at the (a) World, (b) Continent, or (c) USA levels,
>> must record the transmitted and received audio as heard by the operator for
>> the duration of the contest operation.
>>

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Mike va3mw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Use N1MM+ which is free to do your logging and QSORDER which is also
>> free.  Both these run on your PC.
>>
>> Many have done it for years like this. Each qso is logged as a separate
>> audio file and it works wonderfully.
>>
>> I've done it from my remote base logging the audio locally for the past 4
>> or 5 years.
>>
>> Mike va3mw

Re: Recording CQ WW CW and SS

Michael Walker
Actually, it can.  I've used it for years recording both sides of the QSO.
You just need to do some audio plumbing.

Let me know if you want to hear it.

Mike va3mw