Remote P3

David Christ
When Eric was at the ARRL convention in Lebanon, MO he appeared to be accessing a P3 with a small laptop.  Anyone have a clue how he set that up?

David K0LUM

Re: Remote P3

David Christ
Then the question morphs into the following:  If setting up a remote K-line without a computer at the remote end, is there any way to control a P3 and view its output?

David K0LUM

On Jan 20, 2014, at 4:09 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

> Actually he was using an iPad as a panadapter for the KX3, using a Griffin iMIC as a sound card and the program iSDR as the spectrum display program.
>
> the I and Q SDR outputs of the KX3 were fed into the stereo sound adapter (iMIC) which in turn fed the iPad.
>
> Jim - W0EB
>
> > When Eric was at the ARRL convention in Lebanon, MO he appeared to
> > be accessing a P3 with a small laptop.  Anyone have a clue how he
> > set that up?
> >
> > David K0LUM
> > mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Remote P3

Bruce Beford-2
Unlikely. I don't know how practical it would be, even if you _did_ use a
computer at the remote end. Some folks set up a webcam to view the P3
display, I believe. This would be very bandwidth intensive, to get anything
approaching a real-time rate and good resolution. "Controlling" the P3 would
be another matter entirely.

Bruce N1RX

> Then the question morphs into the following:  If setting up a remote
> K-line without a computer at the remote end, is there any way to control a
> P3 and view its output?

> David K0LUM

Re: Remote P3

Bruce Beford-2
Although it does require a computer at the "remote" end, Tom VA2FSQ was nice
enough to remind me (off-line) about his Win4K3Suite product. -Bruce, N1RX

From Tom:
"check out the end of the video
Remote p3"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Api2nomzg3U

Re: Remote P3

David Christ
Dollars aside, there is real time hardware that would take output from the P3SVGA, compress it and stream it on the Internet.  You have some latency but the remote display might still be useable.

So that leaves the issue of control.  Follow along as I speculate.  In a normal installation the local computer goes to the P3 and then to the K3.  Would a remote installation still work if a P3 sat between the RemoteRig unit and the K3?  Elecraft describes how to connect a local computer running HRD to a Remote Rig setup.  Instead of HRD could you run the P3 utility to control the P3?

David K0LUM