Rig Insurance

Reed Fite
I have HRIA for a number of years.   I never had a claim, thank
goodness, but this insurance is by hams,  Bill W3WH.
http://hamradioinsurance.com/  You can also check out the eham reviews.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1830

I use to have ARRL insurance when they were using Seabury & Smith &
hated it.  They didn't understand anything about ham gear.  Pain to deal
with if you bought or sold gear & that is why I switched to HRIA.

Get a new piece of gear that is under $1k, during the policy period, you
just email Bill the price & you don't pay until the next due date.  If
over $1k he will send you the amount you owe.  Very easy to deal with!

Hopefully the new ARRL insurance is much better to deal with now, but
you might check out HRIA site.

I don't have any affiliation with HRIA or Bill W3WH.

73,
Reed  W4JZ

Rig Insurance & REPAIR COSTS

bill steffey
At 10:54 PM 8/7/2015, Reed wrote:
>I have HRIA for a number of years.   I never had a claim, thank
>goodness, but this insurance is by hams,  Bill W3WH.
>http://hamradioinsurance.com/  You can also check out the eham reviews.
>http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1830

I have HRIA also, AND DID HAVE A CLAIM...  My ICOM 7800 STOPPED TURNING ON....
"logic board"  to the tune of 700$ plus 200+ fgt & insurance ( 70 lbs !!!

I opt for an additional charge for " electrical failure"...  and
according to ICOM it was a surge..
on the 5VDC line,,, ( Hmmm  doesn't that come from the icom power supply ????)

  HRIA covered it ,,,phew,,,,sent the bill got the check ....

The same thing happened three years later...
surges , hah...  that unit is on an online 3.5k ups.....   resolved a
good solution with ICOM.

bill NY9H  /3

Re: Rig Insurance

KM4VX
My experience with Ham insurance is that your Homeowners policy will cover you for all damages to your equipment provided the incident occurs when operating from home.  I collected $8,000.00 on a lightning strike several years ago, all on my homeowners policy and the claim was settled quickly and painlessly by USAA. I looked at the ARRL insurance policy and rates, and thought the rates absurd and the coverage no better for someone who does not operate mobile or portable than Homeowners.  Most Hams should be comfortable with their Homeowners coverage, and there is no additional charge for ham equipment. I would not waste money on an expensive ARRL ham insurance policy; so much for "non-profits" by the way.

Re: Rig Insurance

KM4VX
My experience with Ham insurance is that your Homeowners policy will cover you for all damages to your equipment provided the incident occurs when operating from home.  I collected $8,000.00 on a lightning strike several years ago, all on my homeowners policy and the claim was settled quickly and painlessly by USAA. I looked at the ARRL insurance policy and rates, and thought the rates absurd and the coverage no better for someone who does not operate mobile or portable than Homeowners.  Most Hams should be comfortable with their Homeowners coverage, and there is no additional charge for ham equipment. I would not waste money on an expensive ARRL ham insurance policy; so much for "non-profits" by the way.

Re: Rig Insurance

Steven Stuckey
My homeowners insurance stated "The ARRL insurance is a really good deal.
If you have a claim on your ham radio equipment it would be against your
policy and rates may be affected. While the ARRL insurance would not be
affected by more than one claim. We strongly suggest you buy the ARRL
insurance." Which I have done. Did you know the ARRL insurance (last
checked 2014 before the new company took over) will cover everything and
anything related to ham radio? You can insure coax, antennas, towers,
connectors, rigs, computers, all accessories even concrete, radials and
grounding. So if you want to insure the whole thing you can. If you get hit
by lightening and it ruins your tower, antenna, concrete, grounding, rig,
computer and anything else you only pay $50 per incident of not repairable.
Even if it was $50 per item that is still a large savings. I believe it is
well worth it. My 2 cents worth.
​73​

Steven Stuckey - AC9GK - Indiana

Re: Rig Insurance

Jim Low man
You make a good point, about homeowners' insurance.

A couple of years ago, we had a hot water leak in the wall between the
kitchen and the bathroom.

Our homeowners' insurance covered not only a complete kitchen and
bathroom remodel, but also the hotel room and meals when we were
displaced from the house.
It cost the company in the realm of $35,000, and I didn't notice the
rate increasing the following year.
If it did, it was probably a small increase due to the increased value
of the house and property.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 8/8/2015 2:43 PM, Steven Stuckey wrote:

> My homeowners insurance stated "The ARRL insurance is a really good deal.
> If you have a claim on your ham radio equipment it would be against your
> policy and rates may be affected. While the ARRL insurance would not be
> affected by more than one claim. We strongly suggest you buy the ARRL
> insurance." Which I have done. Did you know the ARRL insurance (last
> checked 2014 before the new company took over) will cover everything and
> anything related to ham radio? You can insure coax, antennas, towers,
> connectors, rigs, computers, all accessories even concrete, radials and
> grounding. So if you want to insure the whole thing you can. If you get hit
> by lightening and it ruins your tower, antenna, concrete, grounding, rig,
> computer and anything else you only pay $50 per incident of not repairable.
> Even if it was $50 per item that is still a large savings. I believe it is
> well worth it. My 2 cents worth.
> ​73​
>
> Steven Stuckey - AC9GK - Indiana

Re: Rig Insurance

NK7Z
I tend to agree with Steve here...  My insurance agent said almost the
same thing...  Don't call in your home owners unless you really need
too...

Also, given that I believe the ARRL insurance seems to cover stupidity,
(you spill water in your rig it pays off), the fee is not all that
bad.

I had a rider on my home owners policy for a rather expensive telescope
I once owned a few decades ago, and the cost was about the same, it was
also a stupidity coverage type of policy.  So given that the policy just
pays off for almost anything, I would expect it to be higher than
normal.  I will be getting ARRL insurance for my rig.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see;
For MM-SSTV see:

On Sat, 2015-08-08 at 17:43 -0400, Steven Stuckey wrote:

> My homeowners insurance stated "The ARRL insurance is a really good deal.
> If you have a claim on your ham radio equipment it would be against your
> policy and rates may be affected. While the ARRL insurance would not be
> affected by more than one claim. We strongly suggest you buy the ARRL
> insurance." Which I have done. Did you know the ARRL insurance (last
> checked 2014 before the new company took over) will cover everything and
> anything related to ham radio? You can insure coax, antennas, towers,
> connectors, rigs, computers, all accessories even concrete, radials and
> grounding. So if you want to insure the whole thing you can. If you get hit
> by lightening and it ruins your tower, antenna, concrete, grounding, rig,
> computer and anything else you only pay $50 per incident of not repairable.
> Even if it was $50 per item that is still a large savings. I believe it is
> well worth it. My 2 cents worth.
> ​73​
>
> Steven Stuckey - AC9GK - Indiana

Re: Rig Insurance

Hank Garretson
My insurance agent said almost the same thing...

Of course an insurance agent would say that. It is to his advantage to have
clients who don't make claims.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Re: Rig Insurance

NK7Z
I guess I am not quite as cynical as you.
--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see;