SSB net announcement

1234 ... 10

SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard

The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (4/17/11) at 1800z on
14.316 MHz. We tail end the Icom net that ends at 1800z on that
frequency.  I will be net control form western Oregon.  See you
there.

        73,

        Phil, NS7P

SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard
The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (4/24/11) at 1800z on 14.316
MHz. We tail end the Icom net that ends at 1800z on that frequency.  Ken,
KO5Y, will be net control from New Mexico.  Have a great net and a wonderful
Easter.

        73,

        Phil, NS7P

SSB net announcement - note frequency change

Phil Shepard
I got a handful of replies about the SSB net frequency.  They ranged from
those that say they can't check in due to noise on 14.316 to those that
routinely check in and say don't change it.  I'm willing to try a different
frequency.  I have been monitoring the band around 14.305 (suggested as an
alternative earlier this week).  There is the Ohani net on 14.307 that ends
between 1800 and 1830Z.  There is a maritime net that is on 14.300.  So,
let's give it a try tomorrow at 1800Z on 14.3035 MHz (half way between these
two nets).  If it is a disaster around there, we may have to go back to
14.316.

So: 14.3035 MHz at 1800Z tomorrow (Sunday, 5/1/11)

I will be net control from Oregon.  See you there.

73,

Phil, NS7P

SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard
The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (5/8/11) at 1800Z on 14.3035
MHz.  This is the frequency that seemed to work well last week.
I will be net control from Oregon, and we'll try relays to pull in the
stations that I can't hear.  See you there.

73,

Phil, NS7P

Re: SSB net announcement

bodelect@juno.com
GM All Phil is up on 14.307

Mike WB6CLZ

Elecraft SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard
The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (5/15/11) at 1800Z on 14.3035
MHz +/- QRM. I will be net control from Oregon, and we'll try relays to pull
in the
stations that I can't hear.  See you there.

73,

Phil, NS7P

Elecraft SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard

The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (6/19/11) at 1800Z on 14.3035
MHz +/- QRM. I will be net control from cool and moist Oregon, and we'll try
relays to pull
in the stations that I can't hear.  See you there.

73,

Phil, NS7P

Transverter issue with K2

Phil Shepard
I have a K2 (without a K60XV) and an XV50.  I am having some issues with
power output.  After I turn on the K2/XV50 pair (or often after I come out
of menu mode), the power output LEDs on the XV50 don't light with tune
activated (or the keyer action).  The K2 power control is fully CCW.  If I
turn up (CW) the K2 power control, the 20W power out LED lights upon tune.
Turning the K2 power control back to minimum leaves the XV50 power out at
15W or 20W, and the action seems normal then; except that I need to be able
to turn the power out down to 10W so that I don't over drive an external TE
Systems 170W brick amplifier.  As far as I know, I followed the jumper
settings in the XV50 assembly manual for the "Elecraft K2 with no K60XV"
section.  The PA is turned off.  What do I need to do to get smooth power
control that is settable to 10W out of the XV50?  Thanks.

73,

Phil NS7P

Re: Transverter issue with K2

Don Wilhelm-4
  Phil,

Making a few guesses about how you have reported the situation, I would
say that you may have the XV50 input attenuator set incorrectly.

I would suggest setting the K2 power for 5 watts - then with that drive
level, adjust the XV50 input attenuator to produce 20 watts output.
Then see if you have smooth power control.

Since you only need 10 watts from the XV50, you might want to go one
step further to obtain a greater range of power control - Turn the XV50
input attenuator down a bit, and then set the K2 power output for 8
watts (the max you should drive the XV50 with) - Set the XV50 input
attenuator for 20 watts at that 8 watt input.  You should then obtain 10
watts from the XV50 with 4 watts out of the K2, and you will still be
able to get 20 watts from the XV50 when running with your amp off-line.

If you are driving the XV50 from a K2/100, the power level steps are 10X
more coarse than with the base K2 alone.  In that case, power the base
K2 from the coaxial DC power connector, and when running the XV50, turn
off (or unplug) the power to the KPA100 - that will allow 10 times finer
steps in power control.

On 6/18/2011 6:38 PM, Phillip Shepard wrote:

> I have a K2 (without a K60XV) and an XV50.  I am having some issues with
> power output.  After I turn on the K2/XV50 pair (or often after I come out
> of menu mode), the power output LEDs on the XV50 don't light with tune
> activated (or the keyer action).  The K2 power control is fully CCW.  If I
> turn up (CW) the K2 power control, the 20W power out LED lights upon tune.
> Turning the K2 power control back to minimum leaves the XV50 power out at
> 15W or 20W, and the action seems normal then; except that I need to be able
> to turn the power out down to 10W so that I don't over drive an external TE
> Systems 170W brick amplifier.  As far as I know, I followed the jumper
> settings in the XV50 assembly manual for the "Elecraft K2 with no K60XV"
> section.  The PA is turned off.  What do I need to do to get smooth power
> control that is settable to 10W out of the XV50?  Thanks.
>
> 73,
>
> Phil NS7P

Elecraft SSB net cancelled for Field Day

Phil Shepard
The weekly Elecraft SSB net will not meet this week, since FD will be in
full swing Sunday.  I will operate NS7P as a 1B entry using my K2 to wire
antennas hung from tall Douglas Firs.  Hope to work some of you on FD.  Get
out there if you can.  The net will return next week.

73,

Phil, NS7P

K2 issues on field day

Phil Shepard
I hope that a lot of you got out to enjoy field day with your Elecraft rigs.
High band propagation on Saturday afternoon was just so-so, and the low
bands were very noisy last night; but I had a good time with my K2 anyway.
I operated in class 1B with the K2 connected to a deep cycle battery and a
solar panel.  My non-ham XYL wanted to help with duping, so I operated SSB
at about 50 watts out.  All seemed ok until about midnight PST when the K2
started locking up in transmit mode, every time I keyed the mic.  I had to
turn the rig off to get it to recover.  The voltage readout in the K2 said
about 12.V in receive and 11.2V during transmit.  The antenna match was
reasonable.  I fooled around with it for a few minutes without success, then
decided that I had listened to enough QRN on 40 meters, so I went to bed.
In the morning, I made one QSO beforte it started locking up in transmit
mode.  I swapped in a fresh battery, but the same thing happened.  I got
some tea and came back to it.  After fussing with all of the power leads, it
started to work again and continues to do so.  What could have caused the
behavior?

Also, if I am tuning around and then turn off the rig for a few minutes;
turning it back on causes the rig to revert to a different frequency then it
was on when turned off - usually to a frequency that had been on the display
previously (maybe for 5 or 10 minutes).  I haven't used my K2 that much
lately (except to drive an XV50 transverter), but I don't remember that
behavior.  Any suggests?  Do I need to RTFM? :)  Thanks.

73,

Phil, NS7P

Re: K2 issues on field day

John_N1JM
Did you eliminate the idea it might of been RF? You might try it in place of your K3 for awhile to see if it acts up at your home station.

73,
John N1JM K3 #2555
Arizona

Re: K2 issues on field day

Phil Shepard
Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion; but I wouldn't think RF would be the issue, since
the rig did the same lock-up even with the rig power control all the way
CCW.  It acted more like a control issue.  I will re-install it in the 6
meter station using an XV50 and a brick amplifier, where it will be wired to
an Astron power supply, not a battery.

73,

Phil NS7P

Elecraft SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard
The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (7/3/11) at 1800Z on 14.3035
MHz +/- QRM. I will be net control from sunny Oregon, and we'll try
relays to pull in the stations that I can't hear.  See you there.

73,

Phil, NS7P

Elecraft SSB net announcement

Phil Shepard
The weekly Elecraft SSB net will meet tomorrow (7/17/11) at 1800Z on 14.3035
MHz +/- QRM. I will be net control from rainy Oregon, and we'll try
relays to pull in the stations that I can't hear.  Let's hope that
propagation is better than last week.  See you there.

73,

Phil, NS7P

1234 ... 10