Serial Connection for K2

Tom Field
I just completed the KPA100 and KIO2 mods for my K2. I have a new Dell
desktop running Windows 8. I don't have a serial port on the machine. What
is the recommended conversion from serial to USB?

Tom F.
KI6NRD
Elecraft K2 #7432

Re: Serial Connection for K2

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

Use a USB to serial adapter with an FTDI chipset - the Prolific chipset
does not like to run at the slower rate required by the K2.

I have also had success with a Keyspan adapter.
If you want to go 'first class', use an Edgeport USB to serial converter
- I have a 4 port model that works flawlessly.  Note that this is
usually referred to as a 'converter' rather than an 'adapter' - it is
often used in commercial environments and is quite robust - those termed
'adapter' are usually intended for the consumer market, and the relative
price indicates that fact.  When I bought mine, they were selling on
Ebay for a very low price, someone had a big pile of used ones that he
was selling off.

On 11/5/2013 8:08 PM, Tom Field wrote:

> I just completed the KPA100 and KIO2 mods for my K2. I have a new Dell
> desktop running Windows 8. I don't have a serial port on the machine. What
> is the recommended conversion from serial to USB?
>
> Tom F.
> KI6NRD
> Elecraft K2 #7432

Re: Serial Connection for K2

tomb18
Hi,
I see ebay has some 8 port Edgeports for $50.
I’m looking to cut down on computer generate noise in my shack.  Currently I have 6 or 7 usb to serial adapters.  I reduced noise quite a bit as shown on the P3 using some ferrite cores but the whole mess is now quite a sore sight.  Not only that you need longer cables to wrap through those cores.
So here’s a few questions: is it better to run one high quality USB cable to a  device such as an edge port and then run serial cables from there or have many usb to serial converters and extensions?
Anyone have a source for properly shielded USB cables?
Thanks

On Nov 5, 2013, at 8:54 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Use a USB to serial adapter with an FTDI chipset - the Prolific chipset does not like to run at the slower rate required by the K2.
>
> I have also had success with a Keyspan adapter.
> If you want to go 'first class', use an Edgeport USB to serial converter - I have a 4 port model that works flawlessly.  Note that this is usually referred to as a 'converter' rather than an 'adapter' - it is often used in commercial environments and is quite robust - those termed 'adapter' are usually intended for the consumer market, and the relative price indicates that fact.  When I bought mine, they were selling on Ebay for a very low price, someone had a big pile of used ones that he was selling off.

> On 11/5/2013 8:08 PM, Tom Field wrote:
>> I just completed the KPA100 and KIO2 mods for my K2. I have a new Dell
>> desktop running Windows 8. I don't have a serial port on the machine. What
>> is the recommended conversion from serial to USB?
>>
>> Tom F.
>> KI6NRD
>> Elecraft K2 #7432

Re: Serial Connection for K2

John Lemay
I similarly spent ages hunting down noise from my PC and associated cables.

There are USB leads available which have a transparent outer sheath, which
"show off" the silver plated screen. I thought this was just a gimmick, but
it turns out they were quite effective. Remember you'll probably need
ferrites on both ends of the run with a minimum of one turn through each
ferrite. For many purposes, just clipping a choke on the cable is not
effective - depending on your frequency of interest and the level of noise.

Good luck !

John G4ZTR

I see ebay has some 8 port Edgeports for $50.
I'm looking to cut down on computer generate noise in my shack.  Currently I
have 6 or 7 usb to serial adapters.  I reduced noise quite a bit as shown on
the P3 using some ferrite cores but the whole mess is now quite a sore
sight.  Not only that you need longer cables to wrap through those cores.
So here's a few questions: is it better to run one high quality USB cable to
a  device such as an edge port and then run serial cables from there or have
many usb to serial converters and extensions?
Anyone have a source for properly shielded USB cables?
Thanks

On Nov 5, 2013, at 8:54 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Use a USB to serial adapter with an FTDI chipset - the Prolific chipset
does not like to run at the slower rate required by the K2.

> I have also had success with a Keyspan adapter.
> If you want to go 'first class', use an Edgeport USB to serial converter -
I have a 4 port model that works flawlessly.  Note that this is usually
referred to as a 'converter' rather than an 'adapter' - it is often used in
commercial environments and is quite robust - those termed 'adapter' are
usually intended for the consumer market, and the relative price indicates
that fact.  When I bought mine, they were selling on Ebay for a very low
price, someone had a big pile of used ones that he was selling off.

> On 11/5/2013 8:08 PM, Tom Field wrote:
>> I just completed the KPA100 and KIO2 mods for my K2. I have a new Dell
>> desktop running Windows 8. I don't have a serial port on the machine.
What

>> is the recommended conversion from serial to USB?
>>
>> Tom F.
>> KI6NRD
>> Elecraft K2 #7432

Re: Serial Connection for K2

Mike Furrey
I had a converter with the prolific chipset and the driver created such
problems in my computer that I had to reload the OS in my Win7 laptop! I
found the Sabrent brand (They advertise FTDI chipset on the package) that
worked flawlessly (used two with a single driver installed to control K3
from a Win7 laptop) BUT the noise output with them was very high ... So now
shopping around for ones with shielded cables. Anyway ... for the moment ...
back to my HB Win2000 machine with real serial ports and NO issues. I am
looking at Don's suggestion with the Edgeport unit.

My 2 cents.

73, Mike WA5POK

> I similarly spent ages hunting down noise from my PC and associated
> cables.
>
> There are USB leads available which have a transparent outer sheath, which
> "show off" the silver plated screen. I thought this was just a gimmick,
> but
> it turns out they were quite effective. Remember you'll probably need
> ferrites on both ends of the run with a minimum of one turn through each
> ferrite. For many purposes, just clipping a choke on the cable is not
> effective - depending on your frequency of interest and the level of
> noise.
>
> Good luck !
>
> John G4ZTR

Re: Serial Connection for K2

tomb18
That sounds like a better solution. UnfortunTely the eBay 8 port USB to serial does not have a case.
Thanks

Re: Serial Connection for K2

Phil Kane-2
On 11/5/2013 5:54 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> When I bought mine, they were selling on Ebay for a very low price,
> someone had a big pile of used ones that he was selling off.

I second the suggestion on the Edgeport - I use a 8-port version even
though my Dell E-series laptop docking station does have a "real" serial
port.  The "low priced" ones were boards without cases, and I spent
quite a bit of time and effort to try to get the manufacturer to sell me
a case as a "piece part" but with negative results  I finally bought a
plastic food container of the approximate size and used the Dremel tool
to cut the appropriate window in the container.  At ,least I have a
decent converter!

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Re: Serial Connection for K2

tomb18
In my case I am considering to move in this direction to reduce all the  noise sources in my shack. The last thing I want is an unenclosed board. Does anyone know if the end closed boards are in metal or plastic boxes?