Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Elecraft mailing list
I’ve enjoyed this thread comparing the K-3 line with the IC-7300. Have the K-3 with the P-3 Panadapter. However, I’m going to try purchase the IC-7300 in Dayton. What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display. The P-3 does not offer that feature, and I’m told that it will not be available. With due regard to the superior performance of the K-3 receivers, I believe that state of the art now requires a more responsive Panadapter for the casual operator. BTW, I’m not expecting to part with my K-3.

Jimmy, WA4ILO

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Jim Brown-10
On Tue,4/26/2016 1:12 PM, James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr. via Elecraft wrote:
> What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display.

To the accuracy of the width of your finger. :)   I looked at the 7300
at Visalia. Nice LOOKING radio at an entry level price.

>   The P-3 does not offer that feature,

While it doesn't have a touch screen, direct frequency entry can be done
by moving the marker to the blip on the screen and pushing the Menu
button. And to FAR greater precision.

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Phil Hystad-3
I find it interesting that a “touch” interface seems to be popular with radios and some users.  It is certainly useful on a device like a smart phone and even a pad and some other kinds of interfaces (e.g. bank ATM screen).  But, a touch screen for a radio that already has uses for actual dials and buttons seems to me to be unnecessary.  And, that does not even consider the fact that touch screens need to be periodically cleaned from oily finger prints.

Of course, this is indeed an unsolicited opinion and comment.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue,4/26/2016 1:12 PM, James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr. via Elecraft wrote:
>> What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display.
>
> To the accuracy of the width of your finger. :)   I looked at the 7300 at Visalia. Nice LOOKING radio at an entry level price.
>
>>  The P-3 does not offer that feature,
>
> While it doesn't have a touch screen, direct frequency entry can be done by moving the marker to the blip on the screen and pushing the Menu button. And to FAR greater precision.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

The P3 also has far more screen height dedicated to the spectrum and waterfall displays, I believe. Aren't the 7300's displays a total of only 1/2" or 1" tall, depending on the display mode?

Wayne

On Apr 26, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue,4/26/2016 1:12 PM, James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr. via Elecraft wrote:
>> What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display.
>
> To the accuracy of the width of your finger. :)   I looked at the 7300 at Visalia. Nice LOOKING radio at an entry level price.
>
>>  The P-3 does not offer that feature,
>
> While it doesn't have a touch screen, direct frequency entry can be done by moving the marker to the blip on the screen and pushing the Menu button. And to FAR greater precision.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

John Kramer

Jim, you don’t have to use your finger, you can use a stylus if you are pedantic about accuracy :)
and if you are a few hertz off, it just takes a gentle nudge of the VFO to get it spot on.

73
John

On 26 Apr 2016, at 9:45 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

The P3 also has far more screen height dedicated to the spectrum and waterfall displays, I believe. Aren't the 7300's displays a total of only 1/2" or 1" tall, depending on the display mode?

Wayne

On Apr 26, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue,4/26/2016 1:12 PM, James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr. via Elecraft wrote:
>> What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display.
>
> To the accuracy of the width of your finger. :)   I looked at the 7300 at Visalia. Nice LOOKING radio at an entry level price.
>
>> The P-3 does not offer that feature,
>
> While it doesn't have a touch screen, direct frequency entry can be done by moving the marker to the blip on the screen and pushing the Menu button. And to FAR greater precision.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

John Kramer
Phil, in reality having a touch screen is not all that bad as you make out. You really need
to try it. An advantage is that it reduces the clutter on the front panel of a rig, by assigning
knobs/buttons to the display screen. The one used in the IC-7300 is really good - sensitive
to the touch, but not quite as sensitive as some smartphones. The display of the 7300 is
a major leap forward from older generation 7600, 7700 rigs. Very clear and responsive.
And smear marks on the screen ? absolutely not - I have had my 7300 for 2 weeks now,
and have not yet had the need to clean the display - the display is not that glossy mirror
finish like smart phones have. Besides…I prod my touch phone FAR more than I touch the
screen of my 7300, and I have no problem with finger marks on my phone….maybe once a
month I might clean my phone with a lint cloth…no big deal. Perhaps I might clean my 7300
display once every 3 months at this rate…no biggie

73
John

On 26 Apr 2016, at 9:40 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

I find it interesting that a “touch” interface seems to be popular with radios and some users.  It is certainly useful on a device like a smart phone and even a pad and some other kinds of interfaces (e.g. bank ATM screen).  But, a touch screen for a radio that already has uses for actual dials and buttons seems to me to be unnecessary.  And, that does not even consider the fact that touch screens need to be periodically cleaned from oily finger prints.

Of course, this is indeed an unsolicited opinion and comment.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue,4/26/2016 1:12 PM, James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr. via Elecraft wrote:
>> What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display.
>
> To the accuracy of the width of your finger. :)   I looked at the 7300 at Visalia. Nice LOOKING radio at an entry level price.
>
>> The P-3 does not offer that feature,
>
> While it doesn't have a touch screen, direct frequency entry can be done by moving the marker to the blip on the screen and pushing the Menu button. And to FAR greater precision.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Rick WA6NHC-2
On 4/26/2016 1:45 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> The P3 also has far more screen height dedicated to the spectrum and waterfall displays, I believe. Aren't the 7300's displays a total of only 1/2" or 1" tall, depending on the display mode?
>
> Wayne

Something around that size yes (played with one but not here yet to
verify).  But that brings up another issue not mentioned.

Most rigs sit on a table for easy access by the operator hand.  That
location does allow comfortable continuous viewing of the display for
long term, even if the bale tips the radio up (for that it should be eye
level).  One can equate this to the KX3 on a tabletop.  The 7300 display
is a cute feature that should have had an external video out port.  [A
single antenna port is another shortcoming for HF/6M operations.]

But that brings up a feature of the 7300; for $100 more (the one time
expense of software shared with many other Icom radios) the display can
be seen on a computer screen and the waterfall can be separate to the
display.  In fact the waterfall can be moved to a second computer screen
while running the control software on the primary screen.  The other
added costs here are the computer and second screen, not trivial but
ballpark of the P3 with SVGA and monitor.  [One can use a sound card and
the IQ from the KX3 too, cheaper still.]

I like a filled toolbox and Elecraft is clearly my favorite brand. For
home, I use the entire K3 line with reasonable DX success (272 entities
worked from a dipole over the last few years).  It's a well integrated
collection that plays EXTREMELY well.  While it isn't 'cheap' it is well
worth the expense and I won't give it up (well maybe shift to a K3S
later but for now no).

While I'd love to duplicate the home station in the RV (sometimes as
brutal traveling conditions as many DXpeditions), it's more practical
(because of antenna limitations, weight, space and budget) to use
something else.  I considered the K3S/100 for the home station and
moving the (stripped down) K3/100 with tuner to the RV. I looked at the
KX3, PX3 and the amp (or even another amp brand).  I looked at other
brands too.  The end goal is a decent, basic 100 watt radio that was low
budget for FD and portable use with ability to use nearly anything for
the antenna.

The IC-7300 ($1425) with the AH-4 ($239) tuner (matches nearly any 23'+
wire 80-6M and if enough wire or near resonance for 160M, there too)
compares to a K3S/100 with tuner for just above half the cost. Of course
there are other options, brands etc.  But unless something negative
appears suddenly from the folks using them (i.e. if it barely meets
transmitter cleanliness, horrendous key clicks) makes the Icom package
hard to beat for a portable 100 watt second station (RV) given the
current prices.  For that environment, I'd rather beat up a cheaper
radio in the RV than one that costs more.  So it meets the needs; it's
the correct tool for my need.

[If the antenna is resonant, the internal tuner can be used; another
7300 feature is that at half power, the tuner is rated for 10:1 mismatch.]

I don't expect the stellar K3 performance from the 7300; it's NOT
Elecraft.  However, I expect it to be more than 'adequate' and on the
very rare occasion that I'm the DX, it will be fine.  It may well have
to be Elecraft on the other end to complete that QSO, we'll see.  :-)

If it turns out to be a poor choice, I can sell it at a slight loss or
(more likely) I can put it in my kids place for his use and I'll operate
it remotely.  In any case, it's fun to play.

73,
Rick wa6nhc

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Clay Autery
Yep... Jim has it correct....

I regularly use Marker A and B to set frequencies.  If I am doing it
right, it sets to the exact frequency.... even though the P3 only shows
to the 10 Hz resolution.

And I don't have to put fingerprints on my screen/bezel...

Why ANYONE wants to touch the screen they are VIEWING data on escapes me
COMPLETELY.  I want my screen ABSOLUTELY clean...

______________________
Clay Autery, KG5LKV
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 4/26/2016 3:29 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Tue,4/26/2016 1:12 PM, James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr. via Elecraft
> wrote:
>> What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry
>> of a frequency by touching the waterfall display.
>
> To the accuracy of the width of your finger. :)   I looked at the 7300
> at Visalia. Nice LOOKING radio at an entry level price.
>
>>   The P-3 does not offer that feature,
>
> While it doesn't have a touch screen, direct frequency entry can be
> done by moving the marker to the blip on the screen and pushing the
> Menu button. And to FAR greater precision.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Clay Autery
Coat it however you want...  Doesn't stop dirt and grime being put on
the screen possibly scratching and/or gooping up the corners and edges...

I've been in IS/IT for 25+ years...  Screens are not for touching.

Bottom Line...  I'll stick with buttons, dials, and switches, thank you.  :)

______________________
Clay Autery, KG5LKV
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

> Good touch screens have lipophobic coatings that repel finger oil. Apple started using them in 2009. Some screens still don’t have them. They make a big difference.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipophobicity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipophobicity>
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> Walter Underwood
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
>> On Apr 26, 2016, at 3:01 PM, Clay Autery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yep... Jim has it correct....
>>
>> I regularly use Marker A and B to set frequencies.  If I am doing it
>> right, it sets to the exact frequency.... even though the P3 only shows
>> to the 10 Hz resolution.
>>
>> And I don't have to put fingerprints on my screen/bezel...
>>
>> Why ANYONE wants to touch the screen they are VIEWING data on escapes me
>> COMPLETELY.  I want my screen ABSOLUTELY clean...

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Edward R Cole
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:12:54 -0400
From: "James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr." <[hidden email]>
To: Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft] Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Just addressing the direct frequency entry issue:

I can do that with my K3 by use of Trakbox sw written by
IK7EZN.  When coupled with the panoramic display of MAP65 I can click
on a signal in the waterfall and click a box in MAP65 to transfer
that to the K3.  Its not a finger touch screen but does the task
pretty effectively.  MAP65 is a widescreen adaptation of JT65 for
2m-eme.  MAP65 displays up to 90-KHz of bandwidth at a time and
simultaneously decodes all JT65 signals in that bw.

Soo...I would guess all that is needed is sw to be able to accomplish
this for HF users (maybe even that exists?? - I do so little HF).

General reply:  Found the comparison interesting.  As long as K3 has
Elecraft support for innovation and upgrade - I have no reason to buy
anything else - ditto KX3.

Sidenote:  Many VHF/microwave hams have tried the Flex1500 and
abandoned it subsequently. Appears not all Flex is  of equal
utility.  Direct VHF SDR are coming on the scene so this may affect
the VHF-mw/eme market eventually.

For now the combo of very good HF transceiver with very good
transverter is still setting the standards of performance for
VHF+.  None of the all-band HF/VHF/UHF in a box come close, though
many use them (including me in the past).

73, Ed - KL7UW
K3/10 SN 4340
KX3 SN 475
KXPA-100 SN1865
previously owned: FT-847, FT-817, FT-840, Tentec-Scout, Argonaut405,
TS180S, IC211, SB110, etc.

==snip

What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry
of a frequency by touching the waterfall display. The P-3 does not
offer that feature, and I?m told that it will not be available. With
due regard to the superior performance of the K-3 receivers, I
believe that state of the art now requires a more responsive
Panadapter for the casual operator. BTW, I?m not expecting to part
with my K-3.

Jimmy, WA4ILO

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Kevin Stover
Ditto we still don't use them.
Our users have a choice of laptop or iPad/Surface other than a desktop
thin client on our VM Ware network.
90% choose the Win7 laptop. They're more expensive, slower, and break
more often than the thin client but not as often as the iPads. The
Surface's are new so no experience base with them yet. Our hardware
group absolutely hate touch screens. I'm a Network Engineer...I have no
use for them either.

My brother does IT for a school district that equipped all of their
middle school kids with cutting edge iPads. 700 of them. My brother had
to get good at replacing the very expensive coated touch screens that
the evil empire said mere mortals couldn't replace. He got no help from
Apple other than expensive parts. That experiment lasted three years and
they switched to Chrome books.

I guarantee as sure as I'm sitting here *that touch screen will fail
within a year...if not sooner*, and you've got no chance to fix it
yourself. I can order parts from Elecraft for all my rigs and fix them.
No sweat.

I'm curious why is direct sampling SDR's like the 7300 are supposed to
be the second coming why Icom stuck with the traditional superhet
architecture on it's "flagship" 7851? Maybe they realize the technology
is at least 5 years away from being competitive. Everybody is ignoring
W4TV's 800lb Gorilla, ADC overload.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Richard Fjeld-2
Here is a YouTube video of a K3 with a touch screen monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6usy-0257NQ

Dick, n0ce

On 4/26/2016 4:16 PM, John Kramer wrote:

> Phil, in reality having a touch screen is not all that bad as you make out. You really need
> to try it. An advantage is that it reduces the clutter on the front panel of a rig, by assigning
> knobs/buttons to the display screen. The one used in the IC-7300 is really good - sensitive
> to the touch, but not quite as sensitive as some smartphones. The display of the 7300 is
> a major leap forward from older generation 7600, 7700 rigs. Very clear and responsive.
> And smear marks on the screen ? absolutely not - I have had my 7300 for 2 weeks now,
> and have not yet had the need to clean the display - the display is not that glossy mirror
> finish like smart phones have. Besides…I prod my touch phone FAR more than I touch the
> screen of my 7300, and I have no problem with finger marks on my phone….maybe once a
> month I might clean my phone with a lint cloth…no big deal. Perhaps I might clean my 7300
> display once every 3 months at this rate…no biggie
>
> 73
> John

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Tony Estep
> "25+ years....  Screens are not for touching..."

Hmmmm. By one estimate, there were more than 2.5 billion smartphones in use
last year (and more today, of course), all with touchscreens. If each
screen is used just for a few minutes a day, the total usage-years is in
the hundreds of millions.

Touchscreen-equipped devices, including phones and tablets, are among the
most widely-used consumer electronic devices of all time. If there is some
undiscovered flaw in the concept of a touchscreen, it hasn't shown up so
far.

Tony KT0NY

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Gary Gregory-2
Hmm....how long is the life expectancy of a smart phone?

My k3 ain't goin anywhere....
Gary

> "25+ years....  Screens are not for touching..."

Hmmmm. By one estimate, there were more than 2.5 billion smartphones in use
last year (and more today, of course), all with touchscreens. If each
screen is used just for a few minutes a day, the total usage-years is in
the hundreds of millions.

Touchscreen-equipped devices, including phones and tablets, are among the
most widely-used consumer electronic devices of all time. If there is some
undiscovered flaw in the concept of a touchscreen, it hasn't shown up so
far.

Tony KT0NY

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Bill Frantz
I think it is better to compare the IC-7300 with the KX3 rather
than the K3(S) as their price and performance are a bit closer.

As for touchscreens, they don't like my fingers and frequently
don't recognize when I them. (My fingers are big so where is
another problem.) Working with my iPhone is always a bit painful
compared with the mouse on my computer.

73 Bill AE6JV

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Nr4c
Hmmm.  A 100 Watt KX3 isn't that far from the price of a 100 Watt K3S.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think it is better to compare the IC-7300 with the KX3 rather than the K3(S) as their price and performance are a bit closer.
>
> As for touchscreens, they don't like my fingers and frequently don't recognize when I them. (My fingers are big so where is another problem.) Working with my iPhone is always a bit painful compared with the mouse on my computer.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Wes Stewart-2
My son is the IT Manager for a midsized nationwide corporation.  He doesn't like
touch screens either.

But he uses iPhones and iPads.  Go figure.

On 4/26/2016 3:28 PM, Clay Autery wrote:
> Coat it however you want...  Doesn't stop dirt and grime being put on
> the screen possibly scratching and/or gooping up the corners and edges...
>
> I've been in IS/IT for 25+ years...  Screens are not for touching.

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Chris Tate - N6WM
Maybe apples and oranges is not the best comparison.. how about this

Elecraft K3s = Porsche
Flex 6000 = Tesla
IC-7300 = Nissan Leaf
Kenwood TS-590 =Toyota pickup

~C./WM

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Elecraft mailing list
Well, Chris, I like my Tesla Model S 70D very much.  Hong Kong is good for EV because we are a small city.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Chris Tate - N6WM <[hidden email]>
 收件人︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 傳送日期︰ 2016年04月27日 (週三) 8:48 AM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Mike Dodd
On 4/26/2016 8:35 PM, Nr4c wrote:
> Hmmm.  A 100 Watt KX3 isn't that far from the price of a 100 Watt K3S.

Indeed. However, after using my KX3/PX3/KPXA100 for thousands of Qs, I
bought a K3s.

The KX3 is retired into shielded wrappings, in case of an emergency. I
sold the PX3 and KXPA100.

The K3s has features that make it far nicer for me than the KX3 setup:

1. Built-in amp with temperature-controlled cooling fans. The KXPA100
was OK, but I never liked the exposed heat sink as the sole means of
cooling.

2. Front/rear mic/speaker/phones jacks. I use a Heil boom mic and a
Yamaha headset. With the KX3, I needed to unplug/plug the mic/phones
connections on the side panel. Then I had to turn on/off the mic bias
and adjust the mic gain for the currently plugged mic. never more with
the K3s.

Plus I had to crawl under my desk to swap the foot switch plug into a
cable jack to match the current mic. The K3's rear panel PTT jack
eliminates this hassle.

To use AFSK-A with the KX3, I needed to unplug/plug yet another pair of
mic/phones plugs to the SignaLink USB codec. The K3's built-in codec is
wonderful!

Bottom line: If I'd had the money and if the "s" were available in 2013,
I would have gone with the K3s. I'm not sorry I started with the KX3
gear, but the K3s setup gives me a lot more.

--
73, Mike N4CF
Louisa County, VA USA