Shipping a K3

Gary Smith-2
I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most
affordable way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself,
double boxed with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.

Thanks & Happy New Year

Gary
KA1J

---

Re: Shipping a K3

Rick Dettinger-3
If you pack it, the USPS will advise when you go to the Post Office.
I think its called Priority Mail these days.
Double packing is a good idea.
I have purchased boxes from shipping supply stores.  They also have packing material if you haven't saved any.  USPS doesn't want any other writing on the boxes.  It confuses the computer.

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW

On Dec 30, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most
> affordable way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself,
> double boxed with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
> Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.
>
> Thanks & Happy New Year
>
> Gary
> KA1J
>
> ---

Re: Shipping a K3

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
Please be aware, if you are from outside the US,  when sending Elecraft equipment for repair *including warranty repair* you will have to pay for the return shipping.

For European hams, Elecraft is offering the option to have faulty equipment repaired by a partner in Italy.
However, unlike your American ham friends, for warranty repair you will be requested also to pay for the return shipping - also if you choose to have the faulty Elecraft gear  repaired "locally" in Europe.
It may be that the same applies to other ham-radio manufacturers. But we got used to get a better service from Elecraft than from the others. Concerning shipping that's however not the case.

In my job I have over the years  sent professional equipment for warranty repair both in the US and in Canada, and I believe those companies did pay for the return shipping without asking.

I earlier - in this forum - have asked for a comment from Elecraft to this service related issue, but Elecraft decided not to comment (hopefully they will do now).

73 and best wishes for everybody in 2014
OZ4UN
Poul-Erik
K2/100, K3/100, KPA500 (for warranty  repair!), KAT500

If you pack it, the USPS will advise when you go to the Post Office.
I think its called Priority Mail these days.
Double packing is a good idea.
I have purchased boxes from shipping supply stores.  They also have packing material if you haven't saved any.  USPS doesn't want any other writing on the boxes.  It confuses the computer.

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW

On Dec 30, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most affordable
> way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself, double boxed
> with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
> Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.
>
> Thanks & Happy New Year
>
> Gary
> KA1J
>
> ---

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Shipping a K3

turnbull
Dear OM Poul Erik,
    This would increase costs for Elecraft in dealing with Europe and
therefore need to result in higher sales price.   Elecraft prices are not
exorbitant.   They do not use a dealer network.   If you purchase from a
dealer in the UK the rule of thumb is your price in Pounds will be about the
same as that in Dollars or about 65% higher and often the UK warranty is not
as good as that in the USA.   I personally hope Elecraft never locks us into
dealerships.   You can still purchase directly with a savings in cost or you
can purchase from a dealer and take advantage of their warranty.   Mind you
the savings are not 65% as you must pay for shipping and taxes.  We pay for
living in Europe but there are also some things we prefer here.

    Elecraft support is good and so if you can localize the fault to a
module then the module could be returned rather than the whole radio.    The
Elecraft products are reasonably reliable and not prone to failure.   I do
not believe we are going to do better.  I would not find radios from other
manufacturers to be better supported.

    You are right to explore the topic.   Please forgive my counter view.
I wish you and your family a Happy 2014.

             73 Doug EI2CN

If you pack it, the USPS will advise when you go to the Post Office.
I think its called Priority Mail these days.
Double packing is a good idea.
I have purchased boxes from shipping supply stores.  They also have packing
material if you haven't saved any.  USPS doesn't want any other writing on
the boxes.  It confuses the computer.

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW

On Dec 30, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most affordable
> way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself, double boxed
> with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
> Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.
>
> Thanks & Happy New Year
>
> Gary
> KA1J
>
> ---
protection is active.

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Shipping a K3

Mike K2MK
Hi Gary,

Shipping anything large has gotten to be expensive. Since you used the term "first class mail" I can tell you haven't shipped a large package for quite a few decades. Simply put, if you have the dimensions of your box, the weight, and the insured value the easiest way to determine shipping cost is to go to the UPS and USPS web sites and enter the data. You'll want to choose "Ground" for UPS and "Priority Mail" for USPS.

The Post Office will pick it up at your house for no extra charge. UPS will charge for pickup but you can drop it at any of the many UPS shipping stores for free. Or you can hand it to a UPS driver when he is making a delivery also free.

You can do the package labeling yourself directly off of your printer. You just have to register a few details and use your credit card. Or you can take the package to the Post Office or UPS store. The price is a little higher if you take it to the Post Office but it is the same if you take it to the UPS store. If you live in my town it will take 45 minutes at the Post Office or 1 minute at the UPS store.

73,
Mike K2MK

Gary Smith-2 wrote
I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most
affordable way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself,
double boxed with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.

Thanks & Happy New Year

Gary
KA1Jl

Re: Shipping a K3

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> The price is a little higher if you take it to the Post Office but it
> is the same if you take it to the UPS store.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect with regards to the UPS store.

UPS Stores are franchised.  They can (and many do) charge their own
rte that often exceed what is quoted on the UPS web site - unless one
has a commercial account directly with UPS and merely uses the UPS
Store as a drop off point.

For most individuals in the US, US Postal Service Priority Mail is
by far the least expensive shipping method.  For example, shipping
a K3-100/KRX3 from Florida to Aptos insured for $3000 is about $80
(at the Post Office, less if done on-line) with USPS while UPS 2nd
Day Air is at least $113 (possibly more at a US Store).

Note: UPS prices may be substantially less if one has a commercial
account with volume discounts.

On 12/31/2013 10:14 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Shipping anything large has gotten to be expensive. Since you used the term
> "first class mail" I can tell you haven't shipped a large package for quite
> a few decades. Simply put, if you have the dimensions of your box, the
> weight, and the insured value the easiest way to determine shipping cost is
> to go to the UPS and USPS web sites and enter the data. You'll want to
> choose "Ground" for UPS and "Priority Mail" for USPS.
>
> The Post Office will pick it up at your house for no extra charge. UPS will
> charge for pickup but you can drop it at any of the many UPS shipping stores
> for free. Or you can hand it to a UPS driver when he is making a delivery
> also free.
>
> You can do the package labeling yourself directly off of your printer. You
> just have to register a few details and use your credit card. Or you can
> take the package to the Post Office or UPS store. The price is a little
> higher if you take it to the Post Office but it is the same if you take it
> to the UPS store. If you live in my town it will take 45 minutes at the Post
> Office or 1 minute at the UPS store.
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Gary Smith-2 wrote
>> I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most
>> affordable way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself,
>> double boxed with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
>> Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.
>>
>> Thanks & Happy New Year
>>
>> Gary
>> KA1Jl

Re: Shipping a K3

John_N1JM
Fedex in my town at least is usually slightly cheaper than USPS. You can take it to a Kinkos/Fedex store and pay the same that is quoted online (unlike UPS).

73,
John N1JM

Joe Subich, W4TV-4 wrote
> The price is a little higher if you take it to the Post Office but it
> is the same if you take it to the UPS store.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect with regards to the UPS store.

UPS Stores are franchised.  They can (and many do) charge their own
rte that often exceed what is quoted on the UPS web site - unless one
has a commercial account directly with UPS and merely uses the UPS
Store as a drop off point.

For most individuals in the US, US Postal Service Priority Mail is
by far the least expensive shipping method.  For example, shipping
a K3-100/KRX3 from Florida to Aptos insured for $3000 is about $80
(at the Post Office, less if done on-line) with USPS while UPS 2nd
Day Air is at least $113 (possibly more at a US Store).

Note: UPS prices may be substantially less if one has a commercial
account with volume discounts.

On 12/31/2013 10:14 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Shipping anything large has gotten to be expensive. Since you used the term
> "first class mail" I can tell you haven't shipped a large package for quite
> a few decades. Simply put, if you have the dimensions of your box, the
> weight, and the insured value the easiest way to determine shipping cost is
> to go to the UPS and USPS web sites and enter the data. You'll want to
> choose "Ground" for UPS and "Priority Mail" for USPS.
>
> The Post Office will pick it up at your house for no extra charge. UPS will
> charge for pickup but you can drop it at any of the many UPS shipping stores
> for free. Or you can hand it to a UPS driver when he is making a delivery
> also free.
>
> You can do the package labeling yourself directly off of your printer. You
> just have to register a few details and use your credit card. Or you can
> take the package to the Post Office or UPS store. The price is a little
> higher if you take it to the Post Office but it is the same if you take it
> to the UPS store. If you live in my town it will take 45 minutes at the Post
> Office or 1 minute at the UPS store.
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Gary Smith-2 wrote
>> I'm going to be shipping my K3. Any suggestions on the most
>> affordable way considering insurance? I'll be packing it myself,
>> double boxed with good padding and am thinking USPS 1st class.
>> Haven't sent out anything pricey in years.
>>
>> Thanks & Happy New Year
>>
>> Gary
>> KA1Jl

Re: Shipping a K3

Dennis W0JX
Since the question was asked, I thought I would share my experience in shipping my K3 from Ohio to Elecraft in California last August. I thought I would be smart and ship my K3 via air to speed its delivery and avoid excessive handling. This turned out not to be the case and it cost almost twice the price of ground shipping.

Because of a holiday and weekend, the K3 took only one less day than if I had shipped it by ground. I tracked it every day and it was scanned and transferred multiple times before it arrived in Watsonville, CA.

I double-boxed the radio with plenty of packing. When I got to the UPS station, I purchased $4,000 worth of insurance. When I told the clerk the description of the radio and the insurance amount, he wanted me to undo all of the packing and show him the radio! It took me quite a bit of describing exactly how I packed it, and the clerk had to get a supervisor's approval to avoid doing so. Apparently some UPS offices have a policy that requires opening the package if the declared value is over $1,000. I recommend that you check in advance and take pictures of your packing method to avoid opening the box.

On the way from the factory, I choose UPS ground at half the cost of sending it there. It arrived in fine shape, SINGLE boxed, and was held in place with special foam. The radio traveled back to Ohio mostly by rail car and was handled and scanned far fewer times than going it. It took seven days to get home.

Incidentally, the factory repair service was superb, several updates were done free, and the radio performs better now that when I bought it in 2009.

73, Dennis W0JX
Milan, OH

Re: Shipping a K3

Bob-270
Well my experience (hassle) with the UPS store is different.  I had the
local store owner state that their shipping charges are the same as UPS.
That as as a franchisee that was all they were allowed to charge. He
said this with a straight face too.   It turns out he was truthful but deceitful.
He did not disclose that "his" insurance rate was almost 3 times the UPS
rate for the same coverage.

So he lost it all. I had prior to this used his shredding service and bought
some supplies through him.  I opened an online account and just drop the
packages off there now.

I like and prefer Priority Mail for orders if that option is available.  Now my
pet Elecraft peeve, and I sure don't have many, is their Priority Mail usage.
I sent them a picture of their unopened shipment in a flat rate box and it
was about half the cost.   Elecraft is not alone in not using the flat rate
service to its full advantage.

73,
Bob
K2TK.    ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

>> The price is a little higher if you take it to the Post Office but it
>> is the same if you take it to the UPS store.
>
> Unfortunately, this is incorrect with regards to the UPS store.
>
> UPS Stores are franchised.  They can (and many do) charge their own
> rte that often exceed what is quoted on the UPS web site - unless one
> has a commercial account directly with UPS and merely uses the UPS
> Store as a drop off point.
>
> For most individuals in the US, US Postal Service Priority Mail is
> by far the least expensive shipping method.  For example, shipping
> a K3-100/KRX3 from Florida to Aptos insured for $3000 is about $80
> (at the Post Office, less if done on-line) with USPS while UPS 2nd
> Day Air is at least $113 (possibly more at a US Store).
>
> Note: UPS prices may be substantially less if one has a commercial
> account with volume discounts.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Shipping a K3

Don Wilhelm-4
Bob,

Many who ship USPS do not use Priority Mail Flat Rate because often it
is more expensive than regular Priority Mail.

If the item is heavy, or the distance is far, then flat rate will
provide an advantage, but that is not universally true.

I check the USPS shipping rates when packaging and give my customers the
lowest price available, whether that be Flat Rate or regular Priority
Mail.  Most items I ship fit into a Large Flat Rate box, but for light
weight items (K1s and KX1s) along with nearby shipping addresses, it is
usually less expensive to use regular USPS Priority Mail.

I am a small shipper, so I can afford the time and effort to compare
prices.  Elecraft OTOH ships enough in one day that it is not practical
to compare prices for each USPS shipment, so they just choose regular
Priority Mail.  I would do the same if I had volume shipments.

On 12/31/2013 6:25 PM, Bob wrote:

> I like and prefer Priority Mail for orders if that option is
> available. Now my
> pet Elecraft peeve, and I sure don't have many, is their Priority Mail
> usage.
> I sent them a picture of their unopened shipment in a flat rate box
> and it
> was about half the cost.   Elecraft is not alone in not using the flat
> rate
> service to its full advantage.

Re: Shipping a K3

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Administrator
Let's let this thread rest for now in the interest of reducing list email
overload for others.

[Thread closed]

73 and have a great new year!

Eric